Search results

1. R

P2459 - DPF Regen Frequency - Dealer recommends replacing thermostat for $1100!

Thanks Tom. I think I'll be calling the dealer and asking them to reach out to VW of America for "guidance". When they inevitably don't get proper guidance, I guess I'll be reaching out to VW of America myself.
  2. R

Where does it state that the diagnostic fee is covered? Would like to avoid paying $119 every time my check engine light comes on due to DPF Regen frequency... I can clear it myself, but I would rather have VW pay the dealer every time. Might incent them to actually fix the cause of the check...
  3. R

Yeah guys, a quart per thousand miles is a PITA. Oil change interval is about 10K (per VW). So adding 9 quarts between oil change, at a cost of $75 in oil, really sucks. Had I known it could consume this much oil, and still be just fine with VW, I would have never bought it. I had 2 oil...
  4. R

Hello TDI'rs, I've gotten the code - P2459 a couple of times and recently mentioned it to the dealer when I had the car in for a replacement clock spring. The dealer did a diagnosis and "recommended" replacing the thermostat @ $1100 for the parts and labor. Oh, and of course they charged me...
  5. R

2013 passat code B108C left temp flap motor removal/repair?

We replaced the left temp flap actuator motor without removing the dash. Not a perfect fix, but the part was fairly inexpensive (best price was in the low/mid $100 range if I recall). We worked from the left side, identified the actuator arm, removed it, removed the accessible screw(s) and...
  6. R

Clock Spring Failures

Our 2013 Passat just had the clock spring failure. First, airbag light, then my teenage son noticed noise when he turned the steering wheel, then all of the steering wheel buttons failed. Called VW dealership, they told me the Recall had been previously performed, but the clock spring was...
  7. R

New owner oil question

I'm using dealer oil. Their new VW branded oil is Mobile 1 according to the parts manager.
  8. R

New owner oil question

My 2013 Passat TDI (80k miles) consumes "almost" a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I've had an oil consumption test performed twice by the dealer. Both times the consumption came back at just a bit under one quart per 1000 miles. VW considers a quart per 1000 miles to be acceptable and they will...
  9. R

Engine noise when cold.

My 2013 Passat TDI started exhibiting this same noise at about 80k miles. The noise was most obvious first thing in the morning when the engine was cold. As the engine warmed, the noise was reduced. However, over time it seemed that the engine was still noisy, but not as loud. Some mornings...
  10. R

2013 Passat Driver's Side Heat blend door servo replacement

@jpg98 - I have not yet replaced the blend door actuator. Hoping to borrow my cousin's vcds and try a reset first. If the reset does not resolve the issue (not likely), I'll replace the part. I do not know if vcds (reset) is required post replacement.
  11. R

Normal oil consumption?

I'm measuring consumption using the dots at the top and bottom of the hash marks on the dipstick. My first indication of consumption was checking the oil about 1500 miles after the purchase (and dealer oil change) and finding oil only on the bottom bulb. I put a quart in it and then checked it...
  12. R

Normal oil consumption?

About regen: How would I know how often the car is going through a regen cycle? I have heard the fans running full blast, after shutting the car off, 2 or 3 times. However, my son and wife primarily drive the car, so I don't really know. Regarding boost: I think I'm seeing a common theme, that...
  13. R

Normal oil consumption?

OK, I finally got around to checking the inlet pipe at the bottom of the intercooler. I loosened the clamp and pulled off the rubber hose/pipe. No oil drained out. However, I stuck my finger into the hose and there was a bit of black oil. I also stuck my finger into the bottom of the...
  14. R

Normal oil consumption?

Quick question: Is the TDI intercooler a simple air-to-air intercooler? No water/coolant to deal with? Just remove the "air" hose at the bottom and look for oil?
  15. R

Normal oil consumption?

Thanks Tom. No oil in the coolant.
  16. R

Normal oil consumption?

@Tom in PT - Thanks for the advice. I will be checking for oil in the intercooler hose. Regarding checking the coolant, is there anywhere I can check it, other than the overflow tank? I don't see a radiator cap like I see on most cars. Am I missing something?
  17. R

Normal oil consumption?

Curious to know what color is your oil? When I checked it at only about 2000-2500 miles after the dealer "supposedly" changed the oil in my (new to me) used car, the oil is very black. I've not owned a diesel before, but the oil in my gas Toyota Sequoia is still golden brown after 5000 miles...
  18. R

Normal oil consumption?

. Do you think I would notice any smoke, or soot in the tailpipe? There is none.
  19. R

Normal oil consumption?

If the turbo is suspect, where is the oil going? I don't see any sign of burning or leaking oil. Thx.....