Search results

1. Keystoner16

Question regarding BEW/BRM valves

Frank, thank you for taking the time to write this. Also, thank you for the offer of communication via PM or phone call, I appreciate it. I would like to clarify some things as some of the statements made seem contradictory to me. NO as is, or NO, there is no way to make it work?? Here it...
  2. Keystoner16

It's more just that the BRM head is the head I have. The BEW is currently in use, so I'm looking to rebuild a head to have it ready to go to cut down on the amount of time the vehicle is offline. And, while removing the webs in the BEW head may not yield that much performance I doubt it will be...
  3. Keystoner16

ALH FrostHeater warning (HTR2)

My understanding is that spring clamps are used is because they are much faster to install in a mass production setting. The debate on spring vs worm style clamps is never ending. Just offering .02 on why VW probably chooses to use them.
  4. Keystoner16

Cutting the valve seats is a possible option, however, that is going to change the installed height of the springs. Not sure how much that matters, but it will happen. I've built Ford engines were setting the installed height of the valve springs is an assumed step in the process, and fairly...
  5. Keystoner16

That is pretty much what I'm asking. If one installled BEW valves in a BRM head would they set into the head when closed? As previously stated I have a BRM head that I would like to rebuild for use on a BEW block. Trying to figure out how best to accomplish this without changing pistons, as well.
  6. Keystoner16

Thanks. I'll probably have the work done by a machine shop. Not looking to go as deep as pistons at this time.
  7. Keystoner16

I have what I believe is a BRM cylinder head that I would like to rebuild for use on a BEW. I'm aware that the BRM valves are slightly proud even when fully closed, as opposed to the BEW valves which are recessed. Using a straight edge and feeler gauges it seems the valves on the head I have...
  8. Keystoner16

Reputable PD injector rebuilders

Interesting. Thanks.
  9. Keystoner16

Is this under "normal" use? Or do you have experience pushing turned up PD engines hard for long periods of time without anything bad happening? I only ask because I has been planning to use my BEW powered Golf as a track day car. I have in fact already attended several track days with it. This...
  10. Keystoner16

Since reading this statement I have done some investigating on my own and found it to be true. I purchased a fairly inexpensive BRM/BHW cyclinder head online. Upon receiving it I cleaned it up and discovered that on 4 of 4 the area between the nozzle bore and the intake seat does appear to be...
  11. Keystoner16

Traction control issue? Golf is super unsteady on slippery roads.

My 2004 Golf TDI has ESP in Ore-gone.
  12. Keystoner16

Fix....sell...junk? 01 jetta

Oh, OK. I grew up in the Lehigh Valley, so I'm not familiar with the shops in your area. Definitely check the list here and see if there is any shops in your area on there.
  13. Keystoner16

Fix....sell...junk? 01 jetta

I wouldn't think the work listed is enough to make scrapping the car a consideration. Where in PA are you located?? I might be able to REC a repair shop. Or, check the list here for recommended repair shops. My guess is that the dealer is quoting you that high because they don't actually want...
  14. Keystoner16

First time dealing with engine runaway...

A long time ago, I had a 1981 Rabbit D 1.6NA that ran away pretty bad due to my own idiocy. Had to stall it with the clutch/brakes. Afterward it was so locked up that turning the key to "crank" let the smoke out of the battery terminals. Interestingly after the core issue (overfilled the...
  15. Keystoner16

Fairly easy to determine whether the ASV has been deleted simply by looking at the engine. It will either be there, or it won't. (Between the charge air pipe and the intake manifold)
  16. Keystoner16

As has been noted above, isn't the ASV supposed to be closing in the event of a runaway?? I though that was part of it's job.
  17. Keystoner16

This is my understanding, as well, and they are very clear as to the serviceability limitations of the PD unit injectors. I know nothing about it, so when I read "PD Injector overhaul with mounting and balancing" I really have no idea what that entails. Hesitant to spend the money when I don't...
  18. Keystoner16

Yeah, around $900 per on my Worldpac site....
  19. Keystoner16

I'm soliciting recommendations and real word experiences. Looking for clarification on what specifically was "less than stellar" about someones rebuilt PD injectors is part of that. Private messages are always an option for anyone not wanting to make statements publicly.