Search results

1. CheapBastard

What’s the most you’ve hauled in your wagen?

I stuffed a 40 gallon water heater in there yesterday, just had to fold down the big half of the rear seat and it fit like a glove, I wasn’t expecting to be able to close the hatch but no problem, probably coulda fit a 50 gallon in there:eek:
  2. CheapBastard

Acceleration with DSG when off the gas

It’s happened to me twice now driving in standard DSG position, off throttle and coasting to an upcoming stop or turn and I get the sensation of throttle, almost like it’s on cruise control, not mashing the throttle but definitely don’t feel the normal engine braking. First time it really...
  3. CheapBastard

Cool truck kit

https://www.smythkitcars.com/jetta-golf-ute I’m sure some of you have seen these kits but I’m seeing them for the first time and thought I’d share, pretty slick
  4. CheapBastard

Mostly city driving? What kind of MPg you get?

If I had to guess I’d say a good 90% of my driving is stop and go city, only had the car a month and only have been able to do 1 MPG calculation on only a 9.5 gallon fill up and it yielded 31.8. it’s rated at 31/43 but I was wondering if any city drivers are doing any better than the 31. I’m...
  5. CheapBastard

Who’s getting more attention right now, the wife or the Dub?

I’ve just had my TDI for a month now so the honeymoon phase isn’t over yet. Daily surfing for info, shopping for maintenance and modification items and generally thinking of the car very often throughout the day I find myself paying more attention to it than the wife, had to stop at goodwill to...
  6. CheapBastard

Auto regen, best practices?

Today I stopped at a grocery store for a quick purchase on my way to another couple of quick stops and noticed the fans blowing hard, sat in the parking lot for a few minutes idling and they didn’t shut down so I left the car running and ran into the store then to the next stop where the fans...
  7. CheapBastard

Oil and filters, do you keep stock on hand?

I don’t know why but I’ve always had a fetish for oil, I actually just finished off some older valvoline and pennzoil that I bought for cheap and stacked it deep. Now with the TDI I’ve already got oil and filters for 2 future changes and extra air and fuel filters, the sick thing is I’m web...
  8. CheapBastard

Fuel returning to the fuel tank?

Still a newbie to diesel and read that unburnt fuel is returned to the fuel tank where it can raise temps and cause bacteria growth. Does this happen to VW’s TDI’s as well? What would contribute to excessive unburnt fuel and what are best practices to minimize it?
  9. CheapBastard

Are you addicted to boost?

Ever since buying my first boosted car in 1997 I’ve never looked back, really don’t think I can drive a NA car. I’m kinda addicted to boost. 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged 3.8L 2001 GTI 1.8T, chipped with intake/exhaust 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo 2.3L 2014 Passat TSI stock 2014 JSW TDI stock
  10. CheapBastard

Is my tailpipe unusually clean?

It’s only got 15k on it but since I’ve had it I’ve run nothing but Propel HPR through it. My first diesel so I’m really not familiar with what the soot level should be but it seems really clean to me, wiping my finger on it shows nothing. Would this be from the fuel?
  11. CheapBastard

When will/do you use sport mode?

Just got my TDI but drove a ‘14 Passat TSI for the past 3 years and never used sport mode, just wondering if you use it and why
  12. CheapBastard

Any vw507?

I’ve heard guys say any 507 spec’d oil is ok but this stuff I found while surfing Walmart is formulated for TDI marine applications, what about for cars, stuff is $34 a gallon
  13. CheapBastard

When did VW go exclusively DSG automatic?

Someone told me everything from 2006 on is a DSG Automatic and the standard auto has been discontinued, is this correct?
  14. CheapBastard

Disappointed in the lack of rear leg room in the JSW

My legs are not real long but I like my drivers seat back almost to the last click and with it set at that position there is hardly any leg room in the back seat, might as well be a 2 seater because I’d be lucky to fit my fist between the front seat back and the rear seat. Luckily it’s just my...
  15. CheapBastard

Whats your favorite car wash or wax?

I’ve been using this stuff on my past 3 cars and love it, Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. I spray it on , wipe it down to get the grunge up then just chamois it dry, leaves a super slick Teflon like finish and it only takes me 15 minutes. My bottle is almost empty and am always open to trying...
  16. CheapBastard

For those that have owned multiple VW’s

What made you a repeat buyer? For me it’s the value for the money, and the torque. Ever since my first VW, an 02 GTI, I’ve fallen in love with torque, I’d much rather have more torque than HP rather than more HP than TQ like you see in all the Japanese cars, I love it in the city and on the...
  17. CheapBastard

Stock suspension off 2014 JSW

2 Sachs struts 2 VW rear shocks 4 coil springs 14,500 miles on them San Francisco Bay Area $60
  18. CheapBastard

DIY clear bra anyone?

Thinking about doing it, picked up a small chip already, looked at YouTube and looks doable but just want to hear from someone that’s actually done it, I’d put my tinkering skill set at a 4 out of 10
  19. CheapBastard

Does my 2014 JSW need AdBlue?

I don’t see anything in the manual, opened the right side flap in the cargo trunk and nothing there, no filler neck in the fuel door, I’m guessing it doesn’t use it? Looking for confirmation