Search results

1. B

Coolant good for only 2 years ?

I thought the new coolant was good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. What's up with this service special for diesels ? Replace coolant every 2 years ? check it out http://www.montesivw.com/service_specials.htm
  2. B

TDI Operators Manual - From VW

1.9L TDI manual produced by VW Industrial engines. The manual covers the A3 TDI systems (there should be very little diffrence from the A4 series, systems wise). The manual goes into all the systems of the TDI engine. It also discuses all the emitions systems, power control, Throttle by...
  3. B

NB Gear ratios Gas vs. Diesel

5-speed Manual- 4-Speed Automatic Gasoline Diesel Gasoline Diesel 1st 3.30 3.78 2.71 2.71 2nd 1.94 2.12 1.44 1.44 3rd 1.31 1.36 1.00 1.00 4th 1.03 0.97 0.74 0.74 5th 0.84 0.76 ------...
  4. B

Why TDI !

With gas engines so efficient today, why would VW bother to build a diesel? For lots of reasons. First, this is no slouch--the 1.9L 90 hp turbocharged and intercooled four can propel you to 111 mph and has a remarkably flat torque curve with a peak of 149 ft. lbs. at a thoroughly useable 1,900...
  5. B

Hard wire a radar detector in a NB !

I did it but it was a long time ago. The center panel on the dash has a small channel up front facing the windshield. This is the perfect size to allow the wire to come out if you want the detector to mount in the middle at the bottom of your windshield. To remove the center cover, place a screw...
  6. B

New Survey! What do you use to clean your alloys?

I've used them all and nothing compares to ARDEX 622 MAG O.E.M.. Blows P-21s away and is half the price JMHO. Just spray it on a dry wheel, wait 5 minuets and hose em off. All their products are GREAT! From the wheel cleaner to detail clay. Ardex Laboratories Philadelphia PA 19116. (215)...
  7. B

How to Program the remote

To program the remote: Take one key and put it in the ignition and turn the ignition ON. Close and lock the driver's door with the second key (while the ignition remains on). Take the first remote and press the "UNLOCK" button ONCE only - alarm will 'beep' but door will remain locked...
  8. B

FYI Robert Bentley TDI shop manuals

For all you new scoot spewers FYI Robert Bentley shop manuals are available for Jetta. Golf, and NewBeetle TDI’s http://www.rb.com/navigati/s_idx25.htm I picked one up through Amazon.com for under $50  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-6294052-6522040...
  9. B

FYI VW Tech Service Info

For new Volks VW Electronic Technical Service Information is available at the following site http://tech.vw.com/vw/newtech.htm ------------------ It ain’t the horsepower it’s the Torque ! . ..........| ........-^- ....-/_____\- ...(O\__o__/O) ...[#]oxxxo[#]...
  10. B

NB Emergency Gas Flap opening

Emergency Gas Flap opening. The manual say's to turn the quick release knobs to access the cable. This isn’t true, at least in my 98 NB. What the manual fails to mention is the oval cover in the right side of the trunk. Almost across from were the gas flap is. At the bottom of the oval you will...
  11. B

Boost your cetane with Beans !

Archer Petroleum 10101 J Street Omaha NE 68127-1133 Phone: 402-597-8889 Fax: 402-597-9866 Soy Product: Archer Soy Guard Product Description: High performance diesel fuel additive. Formulated using USA grown soybeans. Aids lubricity, improves engine life, cleans injectors, lowers emissions...
  12. B

NB rear mat snaps.

Fellow Buglings, part # (SFGPA63B0864812 is the rear mat snaps. Anyone who has passengers riding in the back should definitely get these snaps. They hold the mats in place. No more sliding under the front seats. Their GREAT! Installation is simple a screw driver and awl. If you don't have a awl...
  13. B

NB rear mat snaps.

Fellow Buglings, part # (SFGPA63B0864812 is the rear mat snaps. Anyone who has passengers riding in the back should definitely get these snaps. They hold the mats in place. No more sliding under the front seats. Their GREAT! Installation is simple a screw driver and awl. If you don't have a awl...
  14. B

Changing a NB headlight bulb.

First off all the head light bulbs including the fog are H1’s. 1. There is a plastic, black lever above the headlight assembly. You need to slide this up to unlock the assembly. 2. You may have a hard time sliding the lever, if so you will see this little black button/tab. With a screw...
  15. B

Changing a NB headlight bulb.

First off all the head light bulbs including the fog are H1’s. 1. There is a plastic, black lever above the headlight assembly. You need to slide this up to unlock the assembly. 2. You may have a hard time sliding the lever, if so you will see this little black button/tab. With a screw...
  16. B

Painting brake calipers

I painted mine back in April and they still look great. I talked to a lot of people at shows who had painted them also. You can by a kit for $50 to paint them . Or you can do like many of us did and just use Rustoleum. I used the Rustoleum brush on paint. No need to remove the calipers, just the...
  17. B

Floor jack pad

The safest way to jack up your VW with a flood jack is by the pinch weld. I have jacked up one complete side at a time safely using a Urethane Floor Jack Pad. This pad fits in the cup of your floor jack. It has a cut out which the pinch weld fits in for proper alignment to the pinch weld “rocker...
  18. B

Adding splash guards to a NB

Fellow Buglings: I just installed my Autobahn splash guards. The installation took about a one and a half hours. Tools needed for installation are phillips screw driver, torx T20 T25 drivers, 6mm wrench, and a drill with a aprox 1/8 bit. The rear wheels will have to come off. The front wheels...
  19. B

Adding a CD changer to a NB

Installation for the cd changer was a snap. 1st You receive two angle iron pieces which are the brackets that mount in the trunk floor. Pull the carpet up from the drivers side in the trunk and you will see some tapped holes. Go to a autoparts store and purchase two bolts which thread...
  20. B

Adding a CD changer to a NB

Installation for the cd changer was a snap. 1st You receive two angle iron pieces which are the brackets that mount in the trunk floor. Pull the carpet up from the drivers side in the trunk and you will see some tapped holes. Go to a autoparts store and purchase two bolts which thread...