Search results

1. D

Code p1649/18057 ABS help on 01 Jetta

I believe a mere swap is not going to work. It will need to be re-programmed for your car. In all honestly it seems you may end up paying the same amount of money after the re-program. Please do let me know how it turns out for you as I am in the same boat as you.
  2. D

Code p1649/18057 ABS help on 01 Jetta

Having the same issue as TDI_Nate So I was doing some research on the same issue and I came across this website. Seems like it's a pretty common issue on these cars: http://www.bba-reman.com/us/content.aspx?content=bosch_5.3_abs_removal If you happen to get to it before I do please post here...
  3. D

BHW 5.5 - Urgent Help Needed - Timing Belt Slipped

Hello fellow dieselers, Update: The Wagon is back in business. Yesterday, I finally finished up the re-assembly and it fired right up. I apologize about the delay in updates as this year I bought a house and since January have been crazily busy getting the house up to my "low" standards. The...
  4. D

That's a good take imo000. I checked for straightness and it's straight as an arrow. I mentioned before that I could not get the feeler blade that is less than spec to get thru between the block/head and the machinist straight edge. Hopefully, it's not coming off anytime soon once I have it on...
  5. D

Green Scothbrite did the job wonderfully. Surfaces look new. I then blew out all the carbon and scothbrite debris in the coolant and oil channels and the head bolt threads. Then I checked tolerances. According to Haynes manual for a BHW the tolerance should be no more than 0.1mm. I tested both...
  6. D

I love it! I would rather take some time and do it slow and do it right than to try to rush and make a huge mess. I am going to do that tomorrow and post pictures of how it looks.
  7. D

When I rotate the engine with a wrench the pistons move smooth and both 1 and 4 come to TDC at the same level. I have ordered a machinist straight edge and once I get it I will ensure that they at the exact same level. Thanks for the tip. Oilhammer - did you mean the regular green scotch brite...
  8. D

Hello everyone, update on the head replacement. The old head has come off and the new head has been cleaned and cleaned. Looks brand new. I also cleaned off all the carbon on the block. The cylinder walls look great. There is no scoring on them . Piston number 4 does have some markings and an...
  9. D

Thanks owr084 for your confidence in my abiliities to convert the car to a manual. I think that with the forum members' help and 6 months I will be able to do that. Actually, the previous owner has had the transmission replaced and it works really well at the moment. My plan is to leave it...
  10. D

Thanks imo000. I hope I don't have to get to the point of removing the line at all but these tips are definitely helpful. Question:- Did you convert your TDi to manual by yourself or had any help on the East Coast? I love the car and once it starts running that is something I would like to...
  11. D

I was able to pull a head a 2005 PD at the junkyard. That was a stroke of luck as they are super rare at the junkyard. The car did not have any visible damage and I was able to rotate the engine (clockwise) using a wrench. I am thinking it might have come due to transmission issues. Anyway...
  12. D

I am sure the durability justifies the expense for professionals. Also I would not know where to go to get the Snap-On set. I am looking at a Husky set of 7 at Home Depot for $20. Will get it tonight.
  13. D

I need a set of those. I am going tools shopping tonight! Probably not Snap-Ons though. Those are expensive!
  14. D

Thanks OilHammer. I took the lower EGR pipe off on one side where it has the nuts (towards front of the car) and left it at the backside. Those Allen bolts did not seem like they wanted to come out on the EGR Pipe after having been heat cycled for over 13 years. I am having a really hard time...
  15. D

Seems like the verdict is in. That head is junk now: https://flic.kr/p/2dkkV2a https://flic.kr/p/2bWGmb8 https://flic.kr/p/2ayKZNS I am going to pull it off and check the pistons. Hopefully, the block isn't damaged. If only VW didn't it so hard to take the intake and exhaust header off...
  16. D

Thanks Oilhammer. I hope so too. I would love to convert it to a manual tranny like you guys but I guess that will have to wait. Too bad I am all the way out on the East Coast. Hopefully, this will not cost me too much to fix. I will report back once the the head is all figured out and then I...
  17. D

Thanks Jake_Brake. I will pull off the valve cover tomorrow. I hope that will tell me the problem. I will report back.
  18. D

Hello TDi community, I have lurked around these forums for over a year now since I bought my first Diesel. Its a 2005 Passat GLS. I absolutely love the car and have used the information here to do routing maintenance on it. I have loved every moment of driving it and the utility if the wagon...