Search results

1. S

Yet Another ALH No Start Condition

Thanks for your help so far guys. I'll have to get the proper tools or improvise something to do this. I'm skilled at timing the old 1.6's. The ALH is new to me. I was assured it was 'timed' correctly from the previous owner. Yes, tried this initially to the point where I was nervous about...
  2. S

Thank you for some things I could do to troubleshoot. Glow plug light comes on - ECU has power. 12+ volts for a couple of seconds followed by a drop to less then 9. 11.5 volts a fuel solenoid when cranking and same at the battery. I wonder if some could comment as to whether or not 11.5...
  3. S

Getting closer I think. Relay 109 has 12+ volts at spot '30'. Checked grounds at transmission, under battery, by ecu, steering column, under fuse box and various other places - all had continuity. 12+ volts from ECU case (ground) and positive terminal on battery. I can't find an ECU diagram...
  4. S

Thanks, I'm leaning more towards it being an electrical issue due to less than 9 volts at the fuel solenoid. That got me wondering if the ECU is even waking up. While this thread has given me options to check relay 109, bypass, etc...
  5. S

I picked up a 2003 ALH and don't have much history on it. It appears to have sat for a while. I started here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398 And followed the link specific to my conditions: You turn the key to start and you get the lights, etc AND the engine turns...
  6. S

Replaced Turbo now a ton a white smoke

Yes. You should be able to see the specific product in the photo I posted. I wonder how much this product helped me or perhaps contributed to the issue... I won't be using Motor Medic again. How can anyone after this? Dude, what happened? I gave my engine a flush with Motor Medic using...
  7. S

I want to thank everyone that contributed to this point. I don't have good news: -> Manually scraped out a ton of gunk from under the valve cover and wiped everything down as best as I could. -> Inspected for 'chicklet' sound I previously mentioned and even used a magnet to see if I could...
  8. S

Thanks, when I get back on the road and at higher speeds I'll see if there is any lack of power. The code seems to be attributed to the Turbo actuator. A friend came over with a flashlight. I'm pretty confident all 12 bolts are loose. Not sure what the trick is to get the valve cover off...
  9. S

Adventure continues... 2 minutes into the drive - a brief flash of the coolant light on dashboard. 15 minutes: pulled over to check oil level. It was fine, however, a rattling sound was evident from under the valve cover. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-kM3XDNy4 (It's the...
  10. S

Alright. Sounds good gentlemen. I'm in a highly suburban area so I'm going to wait until it gets dark outside before taking it to an industrial area around the corner. That's hilarious. I think their more likely to give me disgruntled looks of disappointment while shaking their heads...
  11. S

No check engine light on. Probably a total of less then 5 minutes running it at any given interval. I agree. This could all be over-precaution on my part. It could just be residual crap in the system that needs to burn off. Nervous to run it very long after the smoke appears so as not to...
  12. S

Well I wish I had better news. 60 seconds in and it smoked extremely bad. It smells like burnt rubber. Video of the smoke: https://youtu.be/2n-RjlRE2YY I removed the intercooler bolt (lowest point) and it's completely dry. Car has lots of power. What are the next things I can check?
  13. S

I read all the comments and there's a lot of great advice here. What a great community. I plugged the hole and the video shows the results. 100% improvement. Going to put the tire back on and go for a ride. Here's the video I just took 10 minutes ago: https://youtu.be/aNa3gwA4MWg...
  14. S

Drilled a hole in the intercoolers lowest point. Out comes about a cup of oil. Questions: Would that be enough to cause excessive exhaust smoke? AKA - is this the culprit? Should I remove the intercooler completely and clean it or just let it sit and drain for an hour or so? Could I force...
  15. S

Thank you. I'm sure others might catch this in the future and will appreciate the clarifications as I do. I didn't know what 'compressor side' of a turbo before this evening. This how we learn. Great story. Gives me hope. I'm wondering what inspired you and/or your son to continue driving so...
  16. S

Compressor side? I"m going to guess that means the exhaust side. I'll take a quick video tomorrow to show just how mangled mine is. 6 months would have provided plenty of time for the oil to flow to the lowest point - in my case leaving no evidence of oil with the air hoses I was dealing with...
  17. S

Now I see where you guys are going with this. Did a little more reading and came across the following video which made everything clear. I will take mine apart and check it tomorrow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbV2Dk8D4wc
  18. S

Guys, thanks for getting back to my on this. I'm have terrible fuc%$#ing day (week really) because of this so the fact that you got back to me so quickly to entertain/troubleshoot possible causes is appreciated. BTW: It's a 2005 PD BEW TDI. Didn't notice any in the downpipe or when I...
  19. S

Unfortunately, I don't have VCDS. I blew the turbo some 6 months ago after an oil pump failure and it's been sitting since. The oil was also gunked up pretty bad. I have fired it up a couple of times for a minute or two and have never seen anything like the smoke that is coming out of it now...
  20. S

Oil light, Stalls, Sludge in Oil Pan

Thanks for your insight and I suspect you're correct in that there is something else being the culprit. My guess is the turbo. That would explain the immediate loss of power. I appreciate the comment. I have no idea what you mean by shot trips unless you're suggesting that multiple short...