Search results

1. M

wierd problem with turbo/tappets/camshaft...?

Hi Frank, thanks for your excellent reply! I measured rather like you said (as Kolbenschmidt explain in their vid - I used the same dial and measuring bridge) and what VW write in their manual. I measured all over the place on each piston. It's possible that the dial was dropped at some point...
  2. M

Ok I re-checked the measurements. All pistons protrude less than 0.9 mm, implying a 1 hole gasket should be fine, although it is now a bit colder in my garage (I compared my meter/dial with all other measuring devices I could, and it seemed to be ok). Older camshaft: the lobes for exhaust...
  3. M

I'm reassembling and realized there may be another possible cause - it is a new engine block and although I measured how far out the pistons protrude could it be that there was slight contact with the valves? The measurements indicated that a 1-hole gasket is needed (according to VW specs)...
  4. M

Injector/turbo limp mode

Just a thought: maybe you have a problem with a vacuum pipe somewhere (what year?) Could be that a hose takes time to warm and expand to the point where there's a slight leak, although I don't think it easily explains that 'ECM loses communication with injector block' but I'm not familiar with these
  5. M

Lapping - new cylinder head

Thanks for that! Just curious: is that for existing/old heads or does it also specify new ones? Bentley manuals are obviously the business, but they don't do them for European models, and I can't really justify $200 for a manual for a 'wrong' model. Maybe I should buy an old Jetta just to...
  6. M

When I lap in a bit more (like 3 hours on one), I can't believe that they don't need machining down a bit at the right angle before they are lapped. I'll investigate further....
  7. M

Great, thanks! I'll go with it. I've a vague memory that I'm seen this before but fairly sure I haven't worked on them. The PITA with this car is that the subframe has to come off to get the cylinder head off, so even if a valve seal is naf it's a lot of work
  8. M

"3 angle grinds" - so this is normal to have a narrow contact surface and it is as it should be?
  9. M

I’ll be at it until Christmas.... the exhaust valves went normally, but these seem to be quite different....
  10. M

hi, time to consult the experts :) I've lapped quite a few used heads but never a new old before --- I'm also using new valves the 4 input valves (the bigger ones) don't lap so easily and there is a thinner "band" than normal where it's 'lapped' (see photos below) is this enough? if not, how...
  11. 20240408_115514[1].jpg

20240408_115514[1].jpg

valve and seat - lapping
  12. 20240408_114812[2].jpg

20240408_114812[2].jpg

valve seat
  13. 20240408_114536[1].jpg

20240408_114536[1].jpg

valve during lapping
  14. M

Great - thanks Frank and Shoebear. That's the first explanation that makes any sense. I've being measuring different camshaft lobes to determine the problem, and searching for the exact camshaft specs for each model. And yea, the valves were all as new Whilst I am sure that something like this...
  15. M

Mystery Noise After Clutch Install

the subframe should be put back in (ideally) exactly the same position as it was, otherwise you get problems like you are getting. Normally one inserts special bolts as each bolt is removed to 'memorize' the position. Have a close look to see if you can work out from where the dirt/rust is...
  16. M

help with wire harness atop starter

fuel? timing? Do you have access to a VCDS - fault codes?
  17. M

Engine was rebuilt with new turbo and all other necessary parts. Timing etc. was all perfect. Took it for the legal roadworthiness test and they revved the balls off it to measure emissions, which were (afterwards) extreme. I took the head apart and found the inlet valves were very sooted up...
  18. M

MAF wiring to ECU pinout please, to confirm no shorts

enter "wiring maf 038906012B" in google, loads of diagrams appear
  19. M

Multiple faupt codes issue

What are the codes?
  20. M

help with wire harness atop starter

take off the clip at the end of the plastic spiral cable protector and the other end of the red wire should be there - a crimp straight connector should do the job