Search results

1. X

01 mk4 Golf 2DR ALH Auto - Central MN $900

Thanks Jason. Nobody breaking my door down yet. Manual swap would fix that! I think it is priced fair? I'm losing my @$$ on this machine, such is life! I hope to not stay a stranger to this great forum and people. Someone needs this...
  2. X

01 mk4 Golf 2DR ALH Auto - Central MN $900

A bit sad to sell but I'm out of time and space. Car runs, drives, and has potential. Body pretty solid for an older MN car. Drive as-is, fix-up, or parts. The ALH smokes heavily for a bit (smells like diesel fuel) on cold startup. After warming up a bit the smoke goes away and the car...
  3. X

White smoke, issues, out of ideas!

Following! I have a very similar issue. I have one cylinder down to 410psi. Some seem to think the lower compression is the smoking cause, others not so much. I'm not sure. Have not had time to tinker with car much lately... Good Luck ClemXP! Edit: My thread you probably already read link
  4. X

ALH compression numbers: Seeking advice.

No, didn't say that. Is there any reasonable way to confirm no fuel leaking in without pop testing injectors?
  5. X

Quick update: Compression numbers seem consistent. 410PSI on #3. Other cylinders are higher. Leak-down consistent under 5% ATDC and BTDC #3. Cylinder Balance: 1-2 min after startup: IQ 1: -1.86 IQ 2: -1.88 IQ 3: +1.88 IQ 4: +1.81 Warm IQ 1: 0.16 IQ 2: 0.05 IQ 3: -0.19 IQ 4: -0.09...
  6. X

Thanks! I'm familiar with this my friend. I have a VCDS/VAG-COM setup! I wasn't clear. I meant to say I'm not sure what QA/IQ values are off the top of my head. I did write some of this down previously. I will look for this info or simply get it again.
  7. X

Thanks again for the post Mongler! I did a half assed leakdown. I think I confirmed valves/head not likely issue. I'm honestly not sure if I was BDC or TDC. I will try to do a better leak-down bdc. I basically found one or the other using air pressure... The fact that you guys are telling...
  8. X

Good post. Thanks! That was pretty much my understanding. Doesn't seem to be a ton of these cars around here on the cheap. Also, I don't have much room currently. Not opposed to making something like that work (swap) temporarily. I agree an engine swap might be somewhat easier. I know...
  9. X

I just want to be able to drive or sell the car. The current smoke-show and wait for misfires to stop doesn't work for me. Unfortunately, I don't know how long its been like this. The car is in fair shape, not all rotted out like most around here. It is an auto most unfortunately, shifts...
  10. X

Thanks for your opinion Mongler. Anyone else?
  11. X

2001 VW Beetle TDI $200 or best offer

Interested! Actually consider me next in-line if car can be driven north to Brainerd area!
  12. X

I also did another half-ass compression test (just trying to avoid stinky mess with my high profile adapter) cold on cylinders 1 and 3 only several times back and fourth: #1: 500psi #3: 410psi So 6 bar difference cold. Not sure why #1 went up, maybe there is a little oil that leaked down...
  13. X

Just as it is = misfires badly while warming up (even longer in MN cold) and lots of stinky smoke I'm sure the neighbors/bystanders hate. I don't really want to but I'm pretty sure I need to "do it all" or bust. Thanks for the reply oilhammer, i have always appreciated your posts! I just did...
  14. X

That is what I thought. Thanks.
  15. X

Thanks for the replies. I do not suspect any piston to valve contact history. I don't think the head has ever been off. The timing belt was replaced at some point before I bought the car and was in fair shape. (200k on odo) I personally have already replaced the timing belt and all...
  16. X

After a long hiatus, its time to invest some time into my parked Golf... The car seems to run well when its warm. It starts easily and has seemingly good power. The car misfires and smokes at every cold startup, eventually clears up. Smoke is greyish and smells of unburned diesel. It will...
  17. X

'82 Rabbit ?

:D I love the 300-6. Had an old 5.0 truck, weak-sauce. Transmissions are not bullet proof... M50D greater than AOD. VW pickups are cool though!
  18. X

5 Engine codes. Speculators welcome

Compression test is probably a good idea. Good luck!
  19. X

No start after injector replacement. Constant air in lines...

Well, the car is running. It was a nightmare getting it started! I think I tried just about every trick in the book including forcing some pressurized fuel into the IP. I have fuel sprayed and leaked out everywhere, garage and car is a mess. I was about ready to give up for the night but...
  20. X

No start after injector replacement. Constant air in lines...

Yes I have the return line plugged. I DO suspect "T" could be an issue. "T" and o-rings are not very old but have been disturbed. I think I have a spare set of o-rings I can try. I'm also going to try replacing the rubber plug on the #1 injector and return hose there again as there looks to...