Search results

1. E

TDI Pumpe Duse PD Cam Bearing Oiling and Related Wear (eddif)

You just have trouble when a head designed to have the cam pushed up into full support cam bearing caps, is pushed down into reduced area support ( even if you try to provide bearing shells). Then narrow the lobes and try coatings on followers that are being rapped on by hydraulic followers...
  2. E

The oil conversation returned again. IMHO. ZDDP importance is for the first (early) TDI engines. The early engines did not have the coated followers. ZDDP bonds to both surfaces of steel on steel contact (follower and lobe). I am not convinced steel on coating contact has the same process...
  3. E

When the mileage piles on and the hammering on the bottom of the lifter top finally breaks off the coating (hard carbon?) the wear just starts. The follower (lifter) I cut apart still tells the story. http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Copy_3_of_DSC00097.JPG The Porsche method of dedicated oiling...
  4. E

I have not gone far enough away to have dropped off the face of the earth. I do still have a long return back before I start posting on the PDs. Bandmill design. and other things have taken my time. Thank goodness I did not post some of the information I was about to post. By waiting I have...
  5. E

NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

carnotgas Track the pressures over time. IMHO if the filter becomes restricted the bearings in the HPFP may not lubricate properly. You may consider this an acceptable risk, but once you follow the flow paths you should notice what I am talking about. eddif
  6. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

Sometimes it takes VW a long time to figure things out. Seems I remember a friend who had some line failures on a 1.6 diesel VW pickup (years ago). eddif
  7. E

Is this what you are asking about? There is a little size problem with the camera lense and distance, but it shows the offset of lobe to follower top. The camshaft is probably twitching from injector forces at a particular place in the rotation cycle (other cylinders as well influence all...
  8. E

All of the weak design issues cause every small problem be exaggerated. Overcoming the hammering on the underside of the follower is hard to overcome with some procwsses (oil selection), but a better oil film between the follower and lobe should help (better as in a jet of oil aimed at tbe...
  9. E

Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

When it comes time to sell a VW TDI CR it might make a difference in what you get for it. Someone from the colder states would ask: does your car have the Intercooler Kit? Then also a Northern buyer might feel the heat had possibly weakened the HPFP over the years. There are a lot of...
  10. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

My post was a lot of the same thoughts. I took forever to post so I guess I missed your post. Folks have a lot of different conditions to deal with. The flatlanders usually do not have all the hill grades. The hill folks do not usually have all the temps. Of course a strange driveway in...
  11. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

Thanks for all the testing. What I am curious about I would not want you to test. I wonder what is going on when driving with little fuel when: You are on an extreme driveway slope Playing Johnny road racer on curves Sloshing fuel on purpose (so we would know what accidental sloshes do)...
  12. E

ASZ PD130 Head Gasket Coolant Loss and Cam Bearings worn out in under 90k miles

Not that it really will help, but here is hopefully the right order for the bottom bearings. You might want to learn more. Others can correct me if I get two out of order. #5 flywheel end-#3 center bearing-#1 belt end bearing-#2 bearing-#4 Read left to right with #5 being in the correct...
  13. E

ASZ PD130 Head Gasket Coolant Loss and Cam Bearings worn out in under 90k miles

We feel for you. A lot of us have gone through a lot of problems. PD owners are in possession of a vehicle with a known history of cam / follower failures. A lot of the problems do not manifest the same every time. There have been failures from 39,000 miles on up. VW passes the buck saying...
  14. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

I do not think there is even a temp valve on the Passat filter. Which is what I was thinking, but on reading my own post I do not think that came through. eddif
  15. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

I would imagine (not positive) that keeping the major return fuel going to the tank would keep the majority of wear materials out of the fuel filter. The problem of a temp valve would be over (no trash clogging it). The Rail overflow would be minor compared to the return flow. The higher...
  16. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

I think since the 2012 Passat seems to be doing ok we should consider: 1..Putting the booster before a filter helps. We have discussed the screen between the previous booster pump and the HPFP---along with discussing the booster pump possibly shedding metal. The screen could not be getting all...
  17. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

You are right I did try and push for a seperate system here and at least one other site. No one seemed interested. A 0 weight oil might be fine. This was my response to Ski on 11-20-10
  18. E

I understand all the clearance issues. It is just my nature as a redneck, shadetree, jerk from Mississippi to: Git er done. A 90 degree street ell will not drop it much. A 45 degree and little skew will drop it less.Sometimes it is a cost issue. Most 2nd graders can use paint better than I...
  19. E

CR engine HPFP analysis

eddif comments in blue bluey;3784795]A small ceramic or perhaps preferentially sintered stainless steel filter to directly replace the cylindrical fuel metering valve protection screen is not normally doing any filtration duties. Under normal operation, only clean fuel passes through that. So I...
  20. E

What I am wondering: If this type of Threaded Tube Insert would work? The threaded hole part would only be possibly1/8 " higher than the tube. If there is enough straight section of hose just force the tube into the hose and cut a circle out for the threaded part; then place two clamps (one...