Search results

1. B

2014 cjaa timing belt tensioner will not fully adjust

The INA tensioner was a bear. After some lengthy research, I found an obscure video on Facebook (not youtube) of all places, that had an animation of the procedure. I watched and rewatched it at least a dozen times throughout my last timing belt job. Maybe this can help you next time or someone...
  2. B

DSG service advice?

Also, take your time. I got in a hurry one time and pulled the funnel and tubing before I ran the engine to warm things up. Had to reroute the tubing back down to the transmission and made a big mess. Filling through the filter port took me about 15 minutes per quart when i tried it that way.
  3. B

P0638 and misfire codes

Update: Pulled both rubber IC pipes and the rubber coming from IC to the throttle valve. Passenger side IC pipe let out about 1-2 ounces of water. Cleaned and dried everything before reinstalling. Cleared codes and started the engine. Slow flashing glowplug light, no CEL. Scanned with my cheapo...
  4. B

P0638 and Air Regulator Flap/Throttle body Valve

Same issue here on my 2013 JSW. I’ve found a lot of questions throughout the internet but the only suggested solutions have been to attempt cleaning or to replace the throttle valve. When those don’t work for people, the conversations stop. I’ve cleaned mine but don’t want to replace it if...
  5. B

GTI front end conversion

The insurance company may not go for it. Their requirement is to get your vehicle back to the way it was prior to the accident. Let us know how it goes for you
  6. B

EGR Delete Blanking plate

Either way, you’re still going to need to tune it after those mods or it won’t run right and you’ll have the CEL glaring at you.
  7. B

P0638 and misfire codes

2013 JSW CJAA with 132k miles. I was having a few issues with P0638 coming on and glow plug light flashing prior to replacing the timing belt. Pulled the throttle/anti-shudder valve and cleaned it up while I was at it. There was very little carbon buildup. Popped open the plastic gearbox just...
  8. B

fans always on

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do not have access to a VCDS and the nearest dealership is 90+ minutes away. I finally replaced the temp sensor next to the thermostat and it did not correct the problem. I'm wondering if a bad wiring harness could cause the issue as well so I'll be probing a...
  9. B

Dogbone mount installation tool

Did you ever have any luck? I found a youtube video on how to press the old ones out and the new ones in.
  10. B

fans always on

The cooling fans on my 06 BRM come on with the ignition switch, not just when the engine is running. A/C has been inop since I bought the car in 2018. Replaced the engine earlier this year and about 1000 miles after engine r&r, the fans started staying on 100% of the time until 15-30 seconds...
  11. B

Vacuum and exhaust picture

Hello friends. I'm reinstalling an engine back in my 06 and my vacuum lines got all tangled up when they were off. I've got them plugged in where they're supposed to go but it looks like garbage. Also, which vacuum/electric lines do I need to protect with the heat wrap? If anyone has a pic of...
  12. B

BRM upper oil cooler hose

Replacing my 2006 engine but the upper oil cooler hose was cut off when I bought the replacement engine. IDparts only has a replacement for the A5 late hose with the plastic wrap around hard pipe but my engine has the metal. I've already purchased other hoses for the metal hard pipe and want to...
  13. B

06 BRM Boost spikes, Died on off ramp, No start

Check your timing belt. These symptoms happened to me about a month ago. Crank pulley chewed the teeth off of the T-belt...
  14. B

2006 TDI PD Best Oil/Where to buy

It's not as easy as you think finding 505.01 oil in the mainstream parts stores. I finally found one carried at Advanced: the Valvoline SYNPower MST 5W-40. It's on the oil change special sale right now 5 quarts plus filter for $29.99.
  15. B

06 Jetta shimmy

It's possible. I've been driving up & down US-69 in Oklahoma quite a bit recently & the Lord knows there are some rough parts out there. But it's gradually getting worse but strangely only above those speeds. My rearview mirror shakes so bad I see double sometimes. I'm going to have it looked...
  16. B

06 Jetta shimmy

My '06 Jetta has developed a shimmy above 60 mph on the highway. I just had tires balanced & an alignment done about 10k miles ago. Car has 210k miles on the odometer. The shimmy seems to get worse during acceleration. Should I get the alignment & tire balance rechecked? CV axle? I've read...
  17. B

Brm Black black smoke, won’t drive P0131,P0101

Impressive! Post#99 spooked me! I'd better get mine checked as my white '06 is now getting a sooty back bumper. Running great otherwise. More to follow...
  18. B

Used BRM engines & connected DSG's

Invader: Yes, they split them for me. My thinking is that I could always have a spare for when the one in the car craps the bed. For example, buy the best spare, go over it with a fine tooth comb, cam included, and have it prepped for when the installed engine or DSG gives up the ghost. I don't...
  19. B

central illinois?

I'm from Liberty, 15 miles east of Quincy, IL. Currently finishing my 20th year in the Army before I retire back to the farm in June!
  20. B

Used BRM engines & connected DSG's

It's hard not to be a hoarder for myself or maybe others when VW announces no more TDI's. They're only going to get more & more scarce as the years go by.