Search results

1. runningallday

Added a permanent battery charger, started at -17F! But Relay 100 failed me?

My entire ownership of my 1999.5 mk4 jetta tdi (since I was 14 in 2004 lol, yes I still have the same car haha), I have struggled with cold starts. Mostly because I typically only take short trips, and when it's below zero, I don't think the battery recharges in that short period of time. I...
  2. runningallday

Use dielectric grease on your taillight bulb sockets

Anybody else having problems with taillights winking in and out? Mine are all corroded.
  3. runningallday

odometer not working after working on instrument cluster

1999.5 jetta tdi, took the instrument cluster apart to replace the speaker tonight, unfortunately it's still not working, i may need to resolder it. (any tips would be much appreciated, i was pretty timid with applying heat) but when i hooked my instrument cluster back up, after my initial...
  4. runningallday

Weird electrical problem

1999.5 Jetta TDI. My interior lights sometimes won't work. Also, sometimes my trunk ajar light comes on. The other day, I realized that if I turned on the interior light, the trunk ajar light would come on. Then I shut off the light, and the trunk ajar light went off. I already checked the...
  5. runningallday

Why is actual air mass decreasing at full load at high rpms?

Stock ALH. 40 seconds of acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear.
  6. runningallday

Noise after ALH timing belt replacement

Two short videos to hear the noise: I installed the dieselgeek ALH timing belt kit (my first time doing so) using the $200 toolkit, consulted 3 different guides, and spent 3 days making sure everything was perfect before turning it on. I noticed the sound for the first time ~5 min after...
  7. runningallday

Comparing $222 metalnerd timing belt tools vs $50 amazon freetec tools

I have a 1999.5 Jetta, with the ALH engine, now at ~180,000. I got the 100k belt change about 100k miles ago. I got this car in 2004, and that was when I got the timing belt done the first time. Back then, we had a local german mechanic who charged quite a bit, but always took very good care of...
  8. runningallday

My battery light came on...

mk4 jetta TDI, 1999.5 manual, 155k miles My battery light came on the other day, it was ridiculously hot and humid and I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic, so hot that the radiator fan turned on. So at first, I just figured that the battery was just under stress or something? Since then, I've...