Search results

1. runningallday

Hard cold start

Whoa everyone is suggesting a lot of expensive repairs. Are you sure your glow plug harness is working properly? I recommend using a homemade harness, mine has been flawless for the last 5 years. It is very easy and cheap to do.
  2. runningallday

Added a permanent battery charger, started at -17F! But Relay 100 failed me?

My entire ownership of my 1999.5 mk4 jetta tdi (since I was 14 in 2004 lol, yes I still have the same car haha), I have struggled with cold starts. Mostly because I typically only take short trips, and when it's below zero, I don't think the battery recharges in that short period of time. I...
  3. runningallday

What did you do to your MKIV today?

What I did to my MK4: I drove 250 miles and couldn't figure out why my mileage was 42 mpg. (the strong headwind and driving at 75 mph probably didn't help) when I realized when I replaced the bumper cover vent, I blocked off the intercooler. Not sure if it was a tailwind but got 50 mpg on the...
  4. runningallday

You should look up the TC-W3 recipe (1 oz/gallon), I use it in my ALH and it really quiets everything down. Never run better!
  5. runningallday

I had endless glow plug issues until I used dielectric grease on the contacts. started up better than ever, and never had any glow plug issue since then!
  6. runningallday

Wandering/floating(?) at highway speeds after alignment

i took my car in to get it aligned recently, and they couldn't do it. said when they set one wheel up, the other one would also go out of spec or something. i had all the same symptoms as you - swaying around on the highway, lots of movement at 9 and 3 at the wheel - but it turned out to be the...
  7. runningallday

low speed minor bucking...

do u mean, if you let off on the accelerator, it lurches forward? and when you push it back down, it lurches back? Mine has been doing this for a while, I haven't swapped the struts out yet, but I think it's my Bilstein TC comfort shocks had gone too soft after 3 years. but im also going to swap...
  8. runningallday

the taillight connections are bad on mine, i think they're known to oxidize and result in poor connection. use dielectric grease next time you plug in new bulbs!
  9. runningallday

Brake Pad Sensor cable Help he cut it off

lol guys you should realize this thread is literally from 20 years ago. I was only 11 years old bahahahaha also - imo brake sensors are pointless anyway, i dont have any on my 1999.5. You should inspect your brakes each spring, take note of wear etc. lots of things go wrong with the brakes...
  10. runningallday

What parts at the junkyard do you ALWAYS pull when you see them?

i grabbed some leather seats last time i went. so worth it. had to swap out the air bag wires but made it work!
  11. runningallday

Use dielectric grease on your taillight bulb sockets

That is awesome. Lol what a surreal experience
  12. runningallday

whoa. i googled a7e corsair and it looks really cool. perhaps just slightly more involved than a volkswagen? :P so the maintenance people screwed up? that's gotta be pretty rare for something that flies, since their standards need to be high or your story would be a weekly thing. yikes!
  13. runningallday

for real? lol i dont know of a reasonable explanation for that. sounds like a bad connection?
  14. runningallday

Anybody else having problems with taillights winking in and out? Mine are all corroded.
  15. runningallday

Trying for 500k with ALH. Need longevity and efficiency upgrade advice.

lol well I'd hate to be the devil on your shoulder, but is longevity really the goal? What about fun? At this point I really consider my 1999.5 jetta a "learning" car for when I get enough $$ to afford something fast!
  16. runningallday

No Interior Lights 03j wagon

my interior lights went, it ended up being CCM. VCDS said "low voltage at CCM". new CCM fixed it
  17. runningallday

Strange noise when idling/driving

doesn't sound exactly like mine. but mine is the injection pump. but there are a lot of rollers etc that might be squeaking hard like that, when was the last time the timing belt and rollers were done? that's way more scary
  18. runningallday

Weird electrical problem

just know that, when you put in a new CCM, you need to turn the key on, maybe even drive the car a bit, before your door locks/horn/etc start working properly. and you'll have to reprogram your fobs. it's also possible that "incompatible" one was actually a dud as well? sorry i can't speculate...