Search results

1. G

MK3 floor pan replacement. Seat track removeable?

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to replace the rotted out floors in my 97 Jetta. I noticed when I received the replacement pans that the sheet metal extends quite high on the outside, this gets in the way of the seat track (outside one). I see spot welds on the seat track just below the handbrake but...
  2. G

1997 Jetta steering rack hardline leak

Thanks IBW butt thats issue I'm having is that its neither of those hoses. It is simply a hardline maybe about 15inches long.http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/koala_bear83/100_1596.jpg See the TRW rack, the longer of the 2 hardlines is the one that is rotted out on my car and that I...
  3. G

1997 Jetta steering rack hardline leak

Hey all. Does anyone know the part number for the 2 hardlines on what I believe to be a trw rack (smooth not crosshatched like zf). Power steering just started to get heavy and when looking under the car I found the longer of the 2 hardlines (close to pass side) is rusted through at the 90 deg...
  4. G

How long to idle tdi

Journal brearing turbos need oil pressure (higher than that at idle) to maintain proper lubrication. Don't quote me on the specifics, I'm no expert, just what I believe to be the reasoning behind not idling these older turbos.
  5. G

No power until 2.7k rpms

Have you tried driving the car with the MAF unplugged. Should feel slower than normal but more even power. Another thing do you have access to vagcom? You could log maf readings when accelerating. Did this turbo issue start recently or its been happening for a long time? The turbo shouldn't be...
  6. G

Lack of Power...

Scan the ECU for codes, there will still be stored codes even if the cluster doesnt have the CEL light on. When you say that you loose power when going up a hill, does the car stay in that low power state after you pass the hill like on flat ground? Could be going into limp mode. Something that...
  7. G

Upper radiator 3 way hose leak

Yep exactly that one Steve. At the junction where they meet coolant is leaking out at the very end of the hoses, you can see it wet / crusted pink. Only concern with replacing the clamps with worm drive is the possibility that it loosens with thermal cycles. I guess some locktite could be used...
  8. G

Upper radiator 3 way hose leak

Upper radiator 3 way hose thing is leaking coolant out at the end of the hoses where they join together. Its not a ton but enough that it is making me top up the overflow. These seem to have some sort of crimped clamp on them. Is it possible to replace the clamp a new spring clamp or just order...
  9. G

AHU /1Z oil pan reseal rubber gasket. RTV needed?

Going to pick up a new torque wrench for this specifically. Currently have a beam (needle) style 0-150ft-lbs 3/8 but I don't trust that. Also have a click type 3/8 25-250ft-lbs but again not trying to "wing" it. Great advice in this tread about the danger of even going past 7 or 8ft-lbs.
  10. G

Thanks again Mongler. Hows the swap coming along?
  11. G

Well that's good to know. That could quickly become a bad time!
  12. G

I'm planning on re sealing my oil pan and valve cover. I have a few questions as I can't seem to find definitive answers for the AHU / 1Z more threads about mk4's or above. 1) Does the oil pan need additional rtv along with the new rubber gasket? 2) What is the pattern and torque spec for oil...
  13. G

Rear axle beam source ideally in Canada

I'll give that a shot if other options don't work out. Thought I kinda doubt it. I can count on 1 hand the amount of mk3's ive seen in the entire greater MTL area in the last 5 years of daily driving my tdi. They seem to be a very rare car to be on the road around here. More in the pick and...
  14. G

Yeah I assumed at this point theres almost no chance of finding a "new" one let alone one that doesn't already come "pre rusted". Found one on ebay from the usa 220 USD (310 Canadian) but it already had rust on all the weld seams, listed as just surface rust. I know my pickings are going to be slim.
  15. G

THANK YOU RALPHY! Really appreciate the quick response. I'm about 1h20m from dummonville but I will certainly hit them up if I don't find anything monday - tuesday. My friend told me about a shop called Kamille Auto in Lachine that usually has older vw parts. I'm going to give them a call Monday...
  16. G

Does anyone know where I would be able to source a mk3 jetta rear axle beam? Ideally somewhere in Canada as I live in Montreal but if no other options are available I guess I'll have to try and find one somewhere in the USA Mine developed a large crack on the drivers side just today on my way...
  17. G

Indication jauge carburant erronée

Salut Leon, comme Vince a deja dit, le metal du "sender" (dans le reservoir du gazoil) doit etre plier un peut pour regler ce problem. Sur ma proper Tdi le niveau du gazoil restant ne bouge presque pas pendans ~60KMS et des fois ~1xxKMS dependant de combien de gazoil jai pomper apres le premier...
  18. G

Petro Canada Diesel Fuel

Can't say I have ever payed attention to the pump listing if it has bio or not but I know here in Montreal, we have a fuel station called Sonic, they have B5 bio at the pump. Some of our public transport city buses are using B20, not sure where they are getting it. I haven't been able to find...
  19. G

Power service and large cloud

Some people have reported lower MPG when you reduce the IQ. If you feel the car is running / starting fine the way it is you should leave it alone. If you lived in a climate like here in Montreal where winter temperatures get very cold, the extra fuel on startup helps a little. Timing advance...