Search results

1. jackfolstam

Random rev in neutral, engine shuts off?

1999.5 Jetta ALH Hey guys what do you think about this one: I drove the car 40 miles, 5 miles city 33 miles highway. 2 miles city, and had a problem in the last mile. Twice at stop signs when shifting from first to second, the RPMs revved during the shift and the exhaust blew a cloud of smoke. I...
  2. jackfolstam

80 Pin To 121 Pin ECM

What are the differences between the two ECM's in terms of options and performance (is there a point to go from 80 to 121)? I want to get a tune and am debating whether it's worth it to change over to the 121 pin first because it has to be better, right? Like it's a newer design for a reason...
  3. jackfolstam

ABS delete

Hey all, I've got more questions for a conversion: How do you get rid of the flashing ebrake warning and beeping on a Mk4 engine and cluster swap? The brake fluid is full and switch is working correctly, and the ebrake switch is working properly. The warnings go off when the car starts rolling...
  4. jackfolstam

Engine Management Adaptation Channel Numbers

I have a VCDS cable. I remember not too long ago the adaptation channels had a numerical sequence, and that you had to press the up or down to go through the channels to find the adaptation you wanted, with all of the unused channels in there as well. Like for the engine management, there would...
  5. jackfolstam

AHU m tdi low boost

I have an uncontrolled VNT15 on a Mk1 Caddy swapped AHU mtdi and I am seeing about 7psi on the boost gauge. Previously I saw 14psi but I decided to tinker with it and I adjusted the rod to get 18psi. At least once I turned it too far and got 20psi but dialed it in to 18psi. Then, it seemed to be...
  6. jackfolstam

Mtdi to Etdi?

I bought a Mk1 Caddy with an Mtdi AHU, with a crap pump. The engine is super loud, and it has an uncontrolled VNT15. The made in ChinaTM IP is starting to leak. There's a barely visible film of fuel on the front. Instead of resealing I was thinking about converting this to Etdi, or getting a...
  7. jackfolstam

Water Pump Failure

I was cruising down the highway at 65mph when the engine quit. Over about a second it went down to 0 RPM, it wasn't a sudden bang or shudder, it smoothly went to no power. It then came back to cruising power for a two or three seconds, and then same thing, smoothly shut down. So I turned the key...
  8. jackfolstam

Does This ECM Have an Immobilizer?

I found this in the junkyard, assumed it was an early ECM due to 80 pin. Was a while ago and don't remember the year and model of car. Did any of these come with an immobilizer? I hooked it up to my 1999.5 TDI swapped MkI and the Ross Tech cable couldn't connect, and it would crank but not fire...
  9. jackfolstam

What injection pump do I have?

I bought a Caddy with an Mtdi AHU and want to set the timing on the injection pump. Which IP do I have, and where should I set the lift? The cold start is on the "front" of the pump (the side on the front of the car). I didn't see any numbers on the front but there a few on the back, but an...
  10. jackfolstam

Stripped Cylinder Head Threads in Block

I recently bought an AHU car. A week later it was puffing smoke out the tail pipe and coolant level was dropping. I pulled the head, the HG was fine, and the machinist pointed out a clean spot on the cylinder head combustion chamber saying there was a crack in the head. I got another head and...
  11. jackfolstam

AHU with VNT, No VNT Control

I just bought a Caddy with what I think is an AHU MTDI in it. I've done a Rabbit with ALH swap and don't know much about the AHU. t's got a VNT15 on it, with nothing hooked up to control it. Since this thing has an exhaust, oil lines, intake, intercooler piping, etc I'd rather not change it...
  12. jackfolstam

Head Gasket? What to do different this time?

I think my head gasket is blown on my 1998.5 Jetta ALH engine. I will try to describe how I put it together the first time and some issues I have been seeing recently in hopes someone can give advice on how to do it right this time. I have an ALH in my MkI Rabbit. Coolant is coming out of the...
  13. jackfolstam

ALH Driveability Issues

I have two problems with my ALH: 1. Fixed Every time the first time I go to accelerate with the car in gear clutch out, the engine will rev up to 1300 or so and then back to idle, with my foot still partially on the throttle. If I put my foot down further nothing happens. If I take my foot off...
  14. jackfolstam

VNT15 Questioins

can I put the manifold from an early VNT15 on a later model stamped GT1749V? I think my earlier one is just marked VNT15, came off a 1999.5 Jetta. I took the original turbo apart when I got it and got the vanes all freed up. Then, I found a GT1749V in the junkyard. cleaned that up, and replaced...
  15. jackfolstam

FS/FT Ross-Tech micro CAN cable

Barely used, looks brand new, $150 plus shipping. SOLD
  16. jackfolstam

ALH Cam Wear

Can someone please look at these pics and tell me what state my 99.5 ALH Jetta cam is in? Can I use this one for another few months while I save $ for Frank's? If I weren't considering an upgrade I would throw a stock one in next week. This looks like the worst lobe: Album...
  17. jackfolstam

ALH Into MkI 1.5f Rabbit Questions

Oops, title should read 1.5D. I got my junkyard ALH from 99 Jetta running on the stand! First try with the modified harness, the one mystery wire turned out to be a ground. Went through the diagrams at least three times, it paid off. I have some specific questions about the swap, I hope someone...