Search results

1. sdeck

FS:Dieselgeek skid plate/short shifter/monster mats

Yeah, my '14 Passat is going back to VW soon (I hope). Hate to turn it in with the extras still attached. Skid plate and short shifter are a year old. Not sure about shipping the skid plate but I can certainly manage the rest (charge actual cost only). I'm in the northern Colorado front range...
  2. sdeck

FS:NMS Passat-Dieselgeek skid plate/short shifter/monster mats/mud flaps

FS:NMS Passat-Dieselgeek skid plate- $100 Yeah, my '14 Passat is going back to VW soon (I hope). Hate to turn it in with the extras still attached. Skid plate is a year old, never hit anything. Not sure about shipping the skid plate (charge actual cost only). I'm in the northern Colorado front...
  3. sdeck

Electric steering- skipping teeth???

I started a thread about this a few weeks ago, but the title didn't really cover the underlying issue once it was figured out, so I thought I would start a new one to get feedback. I noticed a few weeks ago that my wheel was about 10 degrees left of center when the car was going straight. I...
  4. sdeck

Upgrading speakers

So I'm not an audiophile, I don't want to spend $$$$$ on having something installed, but I drive 120 miles a day and listen to a lot of audio books. I've been reading about upgrading the speakers in my Passat but there are too many opinions on all the little nuances and details. I just want to...
  5. sdeck

Clocking steering wheel

Does anyone know how slightly you can mis-clock the steering wheel after removing it? I noticed last week that I am having to turn the wheel a few degrees right to keep the car straight down the road. If I let go of the wheel, the car goes straight but the wheel is slightly off. If I...
  6. sdeck

Changing Brake Fluid

Can this be done without a VCDS to run the ABS pump? Can't find anything on the procedure.
  7. sdeck

Checking EGR cooler for coolant issues

I asked the dealer to hold the EGR cooler for me after they replaced it so I can look at it. If I can unbolt the heat exchanger from the exhaust inlet side, can I see inside the coolant channels? From pics I've seen online, I think I should be able to. Anyone ever disassemble one of these?
  8. sdeck

Heater core clog = leaking?

Had core replaced a year ago on the '14 Passat for cold passenger side air. Dealer did not flush system. It's doing it again and today I noticed maybe an ounce of coolant under car. Going in Tuesday to get core replaced again:mad:. Need to know if this clogging could/has caused leaks elsewhere...
  9. sdeck

Dieselgeek short shifter questions

So, Merry Christmas to me, I just installed the DGSS on my '14 Passat:). Got the Panzer Plate as well but it's too cold and the underside is covered in road slush right now. :( Questions: 1) kit came with an Allen head screw and washer that I couldn't figure out where to use. It's not the larger...
  10. sdeck

After Market or new VW version DEF tank?

So after getting my Passat back after being rear-ended, I notice the DEF tank (where you fill it) isn't black. It looks much lighter in color than I remember it being. They had to replace the entire system (tank, heater, sensor, wiring harness, lines, pump, etc.) Does anyone know if VW...
  11. sdeck

Can't have anything nice :(

Got hit by Dumba$$ this morning on way to work. Traffic slow due to farm tractor moving down highway. I was maybe 10 cars back. Traffic was doing about 15mph. Sun right on the horizon directly inline with the road, but you know, the speed limit is 65.... He clipped my right rear, spun around and...
  12. sdeck

Skipping gears bad?

I've seen a few posts about skipping gears. Does it cause any damage either up shifting or downshifting? If so, how?
  13. sdeck

Front seat clicking/popping

Drivers seat clicks/pops/snaps when accelerating or braking. Hard to really describe. Single pop each time. Not a creaking. Sounds like it's coming from underneath towards the middle. Any suggestions on where to look? How hard is it to get the seat out? ('14 passat)
  14. sdeck

Oil Change Write up- 2014 Passat SE 6MT

There is a video linked in the How-to Sticky above, but it really doesn't give many details, so this is my attempt to provide more definitive steps. This was my first oil change on the Passat, but I've done dozens on other vehicles. Someone needs to smack the engineer that designed this...
  15. sdeck

Considering a 2010 Touareg TDI

Its a one owner, completely serviced by dealer like clockwork, absolutely beautiful condition inside and out, but its got 99,500 miles. Dealer just did the 100K service + new front brakes and battery. $22K w 3mo/3000mi warrantee. Clean carfax, doesn't appear to have had any HPFP, AdBlue...
  16. sdeck

Run second alternator wire?

My 03 Jetta burned out the 150 amp fuse on top the battery. Second time. New Bosch alternator after first time. Been ok for three months but fried today. The black cable going to fuse was pretty dang hot after replacing fuse and driving it 15 miles. I'm wondering if the original cable is...
  17. sdeck

Pitted headlight lenses

2014 passat. 26K, not quite one year old. Headlight lenses are a pitted mess. Any chance of warrantee coverage?
  18. sdeck

MPG and heated seats

Has anyone noticed how much the heated seats affect fuel consumption? I'm starting to think I get about a 4-5 mpg drop when they are running. I thought the drop was from winterized diesel, but I ran 100 miles without them on (by myself) and got ~48. With one on (wife was with me) over 70...
  19. sdeck

Door Sill Film

Ordered this XPEL door sill protection film from Amazon. It was about $16 for 60" x 2.75" but that was only enough to do both fronts and one rear sill. It is very thick, nicely textured, and heavy duty. I hope the adhesive holds up over the bend.
  20. sdeck

occasional stumble

I'm not sure how to describe this. Every once in a while, if I'm just starting out on a cold engine, the car stumbles a few times. It only occurs if I am barely touching the pedal, usually in 2nd or 3rd, though not at the point of lugging the engine. A touch more pedal and never an issue...