Search results

1. B

Rebuilding tdi starter how-to

That sounds more realistic than completely filling the cavity. Thanks. All the internals that I'm keeping look good. Even the brushes didn't look too worn but they will be replaced.
  2. B

Rebuilding tdi starter how-to

Question on the amount of grease to use in the planetary gear system. My starter came off my 2006 BEW 5 speed Golf TDI. When I stripped it there was little to no grease left after 300k km's. I've seen rebuilds that go from very little grease to a fully packed planet gear case. The answer has to...
  3. B

Key will not turn over car after battery disconnected for 2 months

After troubleshooting, I have a bad starter solenoid. Battery fully charged @ 12.6 volts. Ignition switch OK. Found blue (cruise control) clutch switch bad(but that won't prevent car from starting). New switch on order. Clutch pedal start switch (white switch) OK. Pulled out the battery and...
  4. B

Key will not turn over car after battery disconnected for 2 months

Following as I have a similar problem. Didn't disconnect battery over the winter but had a charger/tender on over the winter. Everything lights up but no crank. No check engine light. Just no crank. Last started in the fall 2022.
  5. B

After local shop did timing belt, can't get into ECU to retune

I had that happen to me (F002). I followed Tunezilla's video and reloaded the tune onto the Flashzilla and was able to reload tune to car. Hope this helps.
  6. B

Frost Heater Cable Question

On my 1500W Zerostart Phillips & Temro heater – part #3308003 (which is what a FrostHeater is, maybe different wattage), the cord can be unplugged from the heater and can be replaced. It is a tight fit and does require some force to remove. The replacement 18" cord is P/N: 3309001 and the 60"...
  7. B

Rotella T cant be found anywhere... good alternative?

Canadian Tire is advertising 0W40 Shell Rotella T6 on sale next week 15% off a 5 litre jug. 28-7931-8 when I search on Crappy Tires website doesn't come up? Maybe once the flyer is active it will show. Regular 61.99 for 51.99.
  8. B

What's up with Gasbuddy wrong prices?

There's a guy here who reports the diesel price as the regular gas price and it's at least 20 cents a litre higher.
  9. B

Severely clouded headlights

I use Mother's mag and alum polish on a 3" DA polisher at a low speed and it has worked very well on several cars. Followed by some AeroSpace 303 protectant and it last a couple of years.
  10. B

Turbocharger bearing sizes for 2000 Beetle

Whether it's a waste-gated turbo or a VNT doesn't matter. The shaft runs on axial and radial bearings. Here's a VNT rebuild video from YouTube for a VNT that has one large radial bearing and an axial bearing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwpS-0MRltM
  11. B

Here is an article from BorgWarner; http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/en/products/turbochargerBearingSystem.aspx As you (and Nick) can see there are bearings. Axial and radial bearings.
  12. B

There are 2 brass journal bearings as well as a thrust plate also made of brass. Google "turbo journal bearings". All the basic OEM turbo's are built this way. More expensive turbos have ceramic or ball bearings. The CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) carries the journal and thrust...
  13. B

Canadian Tuner

Have you checked out this shop. It's in Guelph and is listed on Malone's website as a dealer. Maybe they can help you so it's not as expensive i.e. no rental fee. Probably a tuner or shop fee. EMT Tuning 7910 Hwy 7 East Guelph Ontario N1H-6H8 1 km east from Guelph Airport Canada Phone...
  14. B

Vnt 17 rebuild?

Have you checked the drain side of the turbo for obstructions like coked oil, sludge etc? The port in the turbo, the drain hose and the port on the block. This could cause the CHRA to be over-pressurized and blow oil out both sides (compressor and turbine).
  15. B

Merry Christmas Everyone

Merry Christmas.
  16. B

Canadian prices for vnt17 from kermatdi

I feel your pain. 2006 Golf BEW. I bought a Garrett VNT17, braided oil supply line and EGR pipe from Tunemyeuro and it was over 1600.00 CDN. I knew that going in. Exchange rates suck!!! Then you add shipping and duty charges.
  17. B

zerostart / temro coolant heater selection

Canadian Tire here in Ontario also carries the Temro Series 8000. I bought the 3308003 model which is the 1500 watt round bodied version with the removable plastic check valve. I forget what I paid. It says "thermostatically protected" but I believe that's just an over temp protection. Online...
  18. B

New intake manifold and carbon cleaning advice on dealer costs

Ask to see the intake ports of the head when they remove the intake. I bet you wont need a cleaning.
  19. B

New VNT-17, Hickup's under load....

I have an 06 Canadian Golf with a dead KP39. I have bought a new Garrett VNT17 from TuneMyEuro.com (AARodriguez) to install and eventually add some tuning to it. I was curious about the actuator travel mentioned above so I got out my vacuum tester. The actuator starts to move at 4 in.Hg and...