Search results

1. Jason D

2006 Jetta TDI-5 speed. Package 0 $18900

2006 Jetta TDI 5 Speed, ~34,500 miles. Original Owner, 39mpg city/45 hwy. Power windows, power locks, power heated mirrors, 6 disc MP3 Cd, cruise, tilt, power driver seat, rear defrost, alloy wheels, tires have ~12,000 miles (replaced under warranty). Tinted windows. Weathertech front...
  2. Jason D

Does anyone know the correct alignment specs for an A5 Jetta?

My car wanders all over the road on the highway. It tends to be much more noticeable on concrete as opposed to asphalt. It has me wondering if the toe is out of spec. I remember reading a post about total recommended toe and there was some discussion about it between members here. Anyone...
  3. Jason D

New tires under warranty

While doing my 20,000 mile service I noticed the inner sidewall of one of the tires was spongy and soft, to the point I felt like I could push through it with my finger. I stopped in my local Bridgestone/Firestone dealer and explained the issue. When they finally got around to looking at the...
  4. Jason D

At what temp does windshield washer solvent freeze?

My washer nozzles weren't spraying this morning after sitting for 2 days in sub freezing temps. I thought they may be the heated type but it doesn't appear that way. When I got in the car this morning, it was 15 F on the display and I had ice and snow piles on the hood. By the way, this was...
  5. Jason D

Do A5 Jettas let you know when a taillamp/brake light is out?

Just curious if the dash has an indicator. My buddy's 2003 TDI has intermittent brake and taillamp outtages that come and go by themselves, I'd like to know if mine were doing the same or if a light had burnt out. Thanks.
  6. Jason D

Spongy sound from clutch?

I've never owned a vehicle with a hydraulic clutch, so maybe this is normal. When I'm at a drive through or in a quiet area, I can push in the clutch and I get a squishy or spongy sound. The car has 14,500 miles on it and I didn't notice it until maybe 13,500 miles or so but that doesn't mean...
  7. Jason D

Coolant 204 degrees idling?

This is on the Scanguage. Usually its 193 and fairly steady but sitting in the Del-Taco drive thru last night for ~10 minutes, A/C off, 79 degrees outside, I watched the temperature climb to 204 before I got my food. As soon as I got moving, it went down to 186. I thought it was strange the...
  8. Jason D

Transmission leak noticed during 10k service

I was changing my oil and rotating the tires tonight, 9,999 miles. I removed the belly pan and noticed quite a bit of oil on the lower side of the transmission. This smells more like a gear oil than motor oil and is much cleaner than I would expect the engine oil to appear which is what leads...
  9. Jason D

How did you hide the wire to your Scanguage?

I have mine mounted below the radio and above the ashtray. For now I just have the wire snaked around and up over the steering column. I would like to get it run up in the dash somewhere but don't want to drill holes if I don't have to and am not sure where to begin taking the interior trim...
  10. Jason D

Vag-com in St. Louis for an 06 Jetta?

Not sure if anyone will see this but I'd like to change a few things that can only be done via Vag-com: Door locks, windows, DRLs, and power steering sensitivity. If anyone is in St. louis and has one, please let me know. I'll get you a case of beer or something. :) Thanks.
  11. Jason D

What do you use for cleaning/wiping down dash?

I didn't see an interior/exterior forum here so I'll ask here. I just use a damp cloth to wipe the dash currently. I wouldn't mind a bit of a shine but not something super glossy. I'm not sure what products are okay to use that won't dry or crack the dash in the future. Does anyone use a...
  12. Jason D

What would you buy with $100-200 in Christmas money?

Just curious as to what the options are out there. Maybe some aspherical mirrors? A trunk liner? Any other ideas?
  13. Jason D

TDI top speed?

Just curious as I was looking at the 160mph speedo today. Are these things limited by a governor or by horsepower (or lack of it)? What's the fastest anyone here has been in an A5?
  14. Jason D

What type of fluid in 5-speed trans?

I don't have my manual near me and couldn't find anything in a search. I did see a post where a few people said something about a bushing making noise and VW possibly revising the fluid or an additive to fix this. I was asking as I thought maybe a fluid change would help my notchy cold shifting.
  15. Jason D

Leaves getting behind the taillights and a few other small annoyances.

So far (5300 miles) the car has been great. A couple little things: -Leaves getting behind the tailights. I only notice when I open the trunk and try to clean leaves out of the gutter around the trunk opening. There is always one or two that has started to slide behind the light housing and...
  16. Jason D

Warranty work/loaner

If the car has to go in for warranty work, and say they need to order the part and hold the car a few days, do dealers provide a loaner? I bought my car out of state, to avoid the markups local dealers were charging so I wasn't sure if any VW dealer would provide a loaner.
  17. Jason D

Difference between VW owner's manual and online oil change interval.

I understand that I should change the oil at 5,000, then every 10,000 after that according to the owner's manual. 5k 15k 25k 35k 45k 55k... I went online at the VW site. It said oil change at 5,000 then 10,000 miles, then every 10,000 miles thereafter. 5k 10k 20k 30k 40k 50k... Is this...
  18. Jason D

Rear wheel-well liners-felt and not plastic?

I was surprised to see that they aren't plastic, maybe to cut down on noise? I would think the felt/cloth material would absorb moisture, dust, dirt, etc. Did they forget to put my wheel well liners in?
  19. Jason D

Is there a benefit to just a filter swap between oil changes?

I saw some pics of an oil change on here and the filter looked pretty abused. I was wondering if there is a benefit to changing the filter, like a lot of Cummins owners do, at the halfway point of the oil change cycle? Considered doing this on my new 06 at the 2500 mile mark as I'm not used to...
  20. Jason D

Is there a way to disable the horn honk when locking my 06 Jetta?

So far I love the car. Very smooth, handles well, feels solid, 345 miles on just over half a tank, etc... But, I wish I knew how to disable the horn honk on my package 0 TDI. Is there a way to do this? VAG-COM? Thanks.