Search results

1. Jason D

Monster Mat Life Span?

Weathertech is the way to go. I have them, no wear at all over 34000 miles. You can dump out melted snow, etc without any spills but I've never had so much that it leaked over the edges.
  2. Jason D

2006 Jetta TDI-5 speed. Package 0 $18900

2006 Jetta TDI 5 Speed, ~34,500 miles. Original Owner, 39mpg city/45 hwy. Power windows, power locks, power heated mirrors, 6 disc MP3 Cd, cruise, tilt, power driver seat, rear defrost, alloy wheels, tires have ~12,000 miles (replaced under warranty). Tinted windows. Weathertech front...
  3. Jason D

Door sounds hollow after being replaced

To everyone that says aftermarket doors are the problem-I've never seen one for a VW. For that matter, a/m parts in general are much harder to find for German vehicles. You may find a bumper cover, hood or fender, but I've never seen an aftermarket door and I do this for a living...
  4. Jason D

Pics of VW coolant heater on '06 Jetta.

Where does the wiring connect?
  5. Jason D

Stories About Sooting Your Fellow Travelers When They Need It

My car doesn't blow enough smoke to do anything. My buddy's Cummins on the other hand, did a great job at smoking out someone in a bear costume on the side of the road.:p Inappropriate? Yes. Hilarious? Yes. Nothing like seeing a big brown bear through a haze of biodiesel smoke.
  6. Jason D

Why am I hearing this horrible rattle when cold?

The clatter is normal. Mine sounds the same way when its cold out. As far as the coolant issue, I have no idea.
  7. Jason D

Suction Cup Dent-Removers, yeh or nay?

Be careful, when metal dents, it stretches a little bit. If they are small dents you shouldn't have any problems but depending how deep they are it may look funny afterwards.
  8. Jason D

Paint Stain

I have the same stains on my hood. You are going to have to remove some of the clearcoat to make it go away, either polishing by hand with something like was mentioned above or using a buffer, or lastly-wet sand. Keep us posted if you try something like the Meguiars Scratch-X.
  9. Jason D

Insurance on an 2009 JSW

Living that close to NJ is your problem. Auto theft and lawsuits will do that to your rates. I'm 27 live in St. Louis, pay $575 every six months for 100/300/100 limits, $500 coll and $250 comp deductible, $40/day rental and glass coverage on my 06 Jetta and have liability and comp only on my...
  10. Jason D

Before going over 50k miles, check your radiator fans.

Man, the software I have is usually pretty accurate. 6.5 hrs to R&R fans! You can remove the entire engine in that time. Sorry to hear about that screw job they are giving you. I bet the tech gets it finished in less than an hour.
  11. Jason D

GM issues recall on all employees' matching 401k contributions

Stocks are low, time to buy.
  12. Jason D

Before going over 50k miles, check your radiator fans.

My estimating software shows .7 hours to remove the shroud and both fans. Dealer book time could vary but shouldn't be much.
  13. Jason D

Heat/AC fan died

Good to hear no major issues. My weathertech mats have been great, 28000 miles, no wear to speak of. I hear you about the camshaft problems. Make a post about how the cam looks when you get around to it since you have the highest mileage that I'm aware of.
  14. Jason D

Heat/AC fan died

Wrong fan, he's talking about the climate control fan. Any other problems in the 136,000 miles?
  15. Jason D

Smallest turbo diesel engine?

The Kawasaki Mule diesel is just under 1 liter.
  16. Jason D

Shenandoah National Park

Nice pictures, what kind of camera is that?
  17. Jason D

Lawsuit: Hybrid taxis couldn't handle NYC streets

Yeah, you are right. I better put my stir stick away and step back from the pot.:p On a related question, do any of the current hybrid cabs have 200,000+ miles yet? I'm curious how the powertrain/battery system holds up for that kind of duty.
  18. Jason D

Lawsuit: Hybrid taxis couldn't handle NYC streets

Why do Chicago cabs need partitions if the citizens aren't allowed to own handguns? Back to the subject-a 4 or small 6 cyl diesel Crown Vic would be the ultimate cab. That reminds me, the last Chicago cab I rode in had the squeakiest brakes I've ever heard and I don't believe it had a partition.
  19. Jason D

Windshield replacement...?

A lot of places sublet the glass work because people that do it everyday are better at it and many times a sublet place (Safelite, etc) is cheaper than paying the tech 2.3 hours @ $100+ per hour to do the install. You should be fine using an installer, as for the glass, I don't know but I've...
  20. Jason D

washer fluid

I've never been to Knob Creek, but I'd love to go. I've only shot a machine gun once, while taking my concealed carry class. My instructor was a guy named John Ross and he has a ton of full-auto guns and does machine gun shoots as well. I can't take credit for the .50, its my buddy's. I...