Search results

1. Thorne

Last year for TDI with transfer case?

I'd like to move to a Touareg TDI for towing, but would like a real transfer case to deal with backing trailers up a steep driveway. Anyone know the last model to have a real transfer case? I've been researching what specs I can find online and it looks like after 2009 but before 2013? EDITED...
  2. Thorne

Last year for TDI with transfer case?

I'd like to move to a Touareg TDI for towing, but would like a real transfer case to deal with backing trailers up a steep driveway. Anyone know the last model to have a real transfer case? I've been researching what specs I can find online and it looks like after 2009 but before 2013? A...
  3. Thorne

Any fuel additive to replace biodiesel?

Been running mostly B99 for a number of years, and am finally selling my 2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed wagon with 211k. Many of the interested buyers don't live near a biodiesel station or want to run bio consistently. Are there any diesel additives that not only replace the lubricity but also the...
  4. Thorne

Recommended online vendor for new 03 Jetta wagon tail light assembly?

I'm looking for a recommended online vendor for new 03 Jetta wagon tail light assembly. Current driver's side lens has a nice big hole in it. Don't want to buy used, didn't see anything on eBay or Vortex, and Amazon seems to only sell Jetta sedan tail lights. Want stock, not smoked, LED or...
  5. Thorne

MKIV OEM plug for trailer lights - available in NA?

I've been towing with my MK VI TDI for a few years and love it, but don't like having the clip-in trailer light wiring, and hate troubleshooting it. Is there anything available for the OEM wiring for trailer lights? It sure seems that we'd be able to plug into the OEM harness, then rig up a...
  6. Thorne

Gas & Brake hand controls on 5-sp 2003 TDI wagon?

Had extensive surgery on my right ankle, which will be in a cast for the next 8 weeks or possibly longer. Was wondering if anyone has experience with: A. Portable Hand controls for my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon - the bolt-on Gas & Brake ones seem to run around $300 on Amazon. There are a number of...
  7. Thorne

Instrument lights/power=which fuse?

The instrument lights and power to speedo, fuel, etc stopped working last night. I've searched this section of the Forum and printed the fuse charts for my A4, but am not sure if it is fuse #11 "Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid", #'s 15, 29, 34, or 43. All these fuses are the right...
  8. Thorne

Front attachment points 2003 TDI wagon?

I'll be cartopping a 15' canoe 600 miles this weekend, which is new to me as I usually tow my boats on trailers. My Thule roofrack is solid so no worries there, but I was unable to find any attachment points under the front of the car for a line/strap up to the front of the canoe. Is there...
  9. Thorne

Turbocharger Pros? I ordered their TDI turbo + kit

Anyone have good or bad experiences with the TDI turbo and install kit from Turbocharger Pros in San Diego? I ordered their 40-30004 AN turbo and kit for Tomas Sport Tuning to install in my 2003 Jetta wagon. When they pulled the turbo yesterday to see if it needed cleaning they told me it...
  10. Thorne

Towing large+light loads bad for turbo?

In this thread one of the posters (bsalbrig) mentions concerns about damage to his turbo from towing large, light boats. Is this a serious concern? I don't have any way to measure exhaust temp, but could get one installed if this could be a real problem...
  11. Thorne

Lubricate sunroof rails for daily use?

I've got a 100+ mile daily commute and like to open the sunroof when the weather is nice (often the case in Northern CA), plus also using it in the rear-vent mode when parking in the sun. This results in several opening/closing/vent cycles per work day, and often on the weekend. Wondering what...
  12. Thorne

Wiper fluid mold - add biocide to tank?

After way too little sleep I was filling my windshield wiper tank from an opened jug of wiper fluid this am. Noticed that the filter on the top of the tank seemed to be plugged or slow, but kept pouring. Then I noticed that the jug of wiper fluid had all sorts of stuff floating around in it...
  13. Thorne

3k oilchange, 65k timing belt/major tuneup?

I've done a quick search on the Forum but can't find much on the schedules for oil changes and major scheduled maintenance on my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon. My mechanic is TST in San Pablo, CA. They recommend an oil change every 3k, plus doing the major timing belt change job at 65k...
  14. Thorne

Serious window cleaner? MEK, solvent or ?

My 2003 Jetta TDI wagon has some sort of wax or mineral deposit on the windows -- shows up as small droplets. I've tried using a microfiber cloth with Windex and some other auto glass cleaners, but no joy. I also have current issues with some smearing on the front windshield. New high-quality...
  15. Thorne

Cheap seatcovers MkIV + cut slits for airbags?

My 03 Jetta wagon is getting used for work in addition to my 100+ mile commute, and I have co-workers and eqipment riding in the car several times a day. I don't like the expensive smooth-textured airbag-compatible seatcovers discussed elsewhere on this fine Forum -- or want to pay that...
  16. Thorne

Replacement airdam 03 Jetta TDI wagon?

Since I haven't gotten my car lifted yet, the front airdam continues to take a beating on parkinglot tirestops, sidewalk edges, etc. It is now torn in the center, and can't be completely repositioned even by pounding the plastic tabs back into the body. Does anyone make a replacement non-OEM...
  17. Thorne

RPM while towing - 2100 or 2800 better?

I tow a small wooden boat all over the Left Coast, and find that when my speed is limited to the 55-65 mph range that I sort of end up "between gears". Boat and trailer total around 500lbs, but of course create a bit of windage, also have mast mounted on roof rack as in sigfile photo. Towing...
  18. Thorne

WTB for 03 Jetta wagon-Metalnerd 2" lift, BilsteinTCs, 17" wheels & tires

WTB for 03 Jetta wagon-Metalnerd 2" lift, BilsteinTCs, 17" wheels & tires Looking to lift my 03 Jetta TDI wagon --- need the Metalnerd 2" kit, Bilstein TCs for the front, OEM shocks for rear, and 17" wheels to replace my 15". Will probably buy the 2" kit directly from Metalnerd, but still...
  19. Thorne

Those awful interior plastic plugs!

Usual disclaimer -- searched the forum & couldn't find anything, probably because I've got the wrong description/name for this part. What is the correct name for those awful black plastic round-head "bolts" with the expansion base, and does anyone make an alternative in metal or ? These are...
  20. Thorne

Curt hitch install on 03 Jetta TDI wagon

I decided to start my own thread and post the steps I needed to take to install the Curt hitch on my 03 Jetta wagon. I think it will be a good hitch, and the quality of the steel, welding and coating looks fine. But some essential information is left off the Curt instruction sheet, which I'll...