Search results

1. N

Professional installation?

2001 Jetta TDI needed a new battery. Auto parts store guy's computer said the new battery needed professional installation. Hmmmm. I know this to be true for my 2012 BMW, which needs some programming to tell the computer about the new battery, but is anything like this needed for the TDI?
  2. N

Minnesota

I see that Minnesota, having been the first state to mandate 2% biodiesel, is going to become the first state to mandate 10% biodiesel, starting next July. I know that VW sent letters to Illinois customers telling them that they would not try to deny warranty coverage to that state's residents...
  3. N

Weird electrical problem

Symptoms: not enough power to run the door locks, let alone anything else. So I throw a volt meter across the battery, and see 10.87 volts. OK, clearly too low to do any real work, but probably high enough to throw the locks, but still it won't do so. So, put a battery charger across the still...
  4. N

Biodiesel energy balance 5.54 times input

http://cdn2.fetlife.com/1024/1024007/0004a8d6-d993-37e5-a2ac-5435566dbfbc_720.jpg Details a study that concludes that improvements in the biodiesel industry have lead to the current product producing 5.54 times as much energy as needed to make the fuel. This is more energy out than any other...
  5. N

biodiesel in 2009 TDIs

I thought this would be of interest to folks here: http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=3508 Article about a newly developed oil additive intended to deal with fuel dilution issues with newer vehicles. Might be of interest also to those of us with older vehicles but concerned...
  6. N

'06 Jetta TDI, 19,000 mi

I passed through Crossroads BMW in Lynchburg the other day looking for a 335D, and discovered that they have a 2006 Jetta TDI they took in on trade. It is a clean car, 19,000 miles, and salesman Mike Campbell would love to sell it to you for $21,680. I'm not associated with this dealer in any...
  7. N

'06 Jetta, 19,000 miles in used car lot

I stopped by the local BMW dealer today to look for a 335D. They didn't have any, but the salesman mentioned having an '06 Jetta TDI that had come in on trade. It has 19,000 miles, and looks good from the outside. Salesman said they'd let it go for about $21,000. The dealer is Hammersly, in...
  8. N

report from central europe

Well, driving home at midnight last night after our trip to Austria/Hungary via Munich, the BW noted the cost of diesel at the first station we saw with a sign: $4.79 a gallon. She gasped and remarked that that 200 gallons we bought at the beginning of the month for the tank at the farm for...
  9. N

Article defending biodiesel

from the mainstream media in our neighbor to the North, Canada. http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/comment/story.html?id=bd7b7218-e4e3-4e26-8851-9a7e92f353d3 Very helpful for the Sky-Is-Falling crowd recently flushed out of the woodwork to protest that biofuel-is-starving-people.
  10. N

two VERRRRY interesting articles on biodiesel

first, about what is happening to US biodiesel production: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/farming-news/US-competition-threat-to-future.3902441.jp and then about a promising new process for making biodiesel http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/article-web.jsp?article_id=2231
  11. N

Roanoke Energy Expo

November 2 and 3, 2007 is the annual Green Living and Energy Expo at the Roanoke, Virginia convention center. Robert Issem (SUNRG) and I have put up a biodiesel exhibit the last 3 years, with one of his TDIs and my Appleseed processor on display. He, unfortunately, will not be able to...
  12. N

Central VA Biodiesel Source

I just wanted to let everyone in on the fact that Foster Fuels in Brookneal is now distributing biodiesel. They'll make any blend you want. I just had 100 gallons of B50 delivered to my house near Lynchburg for $2.619 a gallon (road tax included). I understand their supplier is the new plant in...
  13. N

viton o-rings

I've been using standard 55 gallon closed-end steel drums to pick up, store, and dispense biodiesel 'round the farm. I've gotten them from my biodiesel supplier, for $16 each, a good deal! Today, I passed through my local Northern Tool store looking for a cone-bottom tank to use for settling...
  14. N

brewing coop, anyone?

If you live in/near Lynchburg, VA we're starting to form a biodiesel brewing coop. Got a line on something like 200 gallons of WVO a week, need folks wanting a share.
  15. N

Bo-oo-oo-gus on Car Talk

I just heard Tom's & Ray's answer to a CarTalk listener interested in biodiesel. They have SOOOO confused biodiesel vs SVO! I'm on their case already 'splainin' the difference. If you want to weigh in on the matter, email 'em via http://cartalk.com/email/email.html Or better yet, go to their...
  16. N

fixed that &%*$%^& Blitz can!

Like many folks all over, I've cursed those Bltiz diesel cans, the "self-venting" abominations that pour fuel with a 9-beat cadence: "glug, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, glug, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle . . . ." Today, after getting back from my workout at the Y (thus in weakend...
  17. N

Jeep Liberty CRD mileage report

Well, we've gotten up to 4,000 miles on the ticker now on our '05 Libby, all running on B50 blended with cetane 45+ petro and cetane 53 bio from virgin soy oil. Last two tankfuls have been 99% highway at speeds between 55 and 70 mph, nearly all in the 60-65 range. First of these delivered 27...
  18. N

first mileage figures on Liberty CRD

Engine still has under 1,000 miles on it, so hardly broken in at all. First tankful, all around town, short 3-5 miles trips mostly: 19 mpg. Second tankful, mostly open highway at 60-70 mph: 23 mpg. All on B50, by the way.
  19. N

Biodiesel in a Jeep CRD

Before anybody gets excited, I still have and plan to keep as my daily driver my '01 Jetta TDI, but yesterday I picked up a new Jeep Liberty CRD, which comes from the factory with about 5 gallons of B5 in the tank. My dealer had put in another 5 gallons of rotgut petro diesel for about a half...
  20. N

Engine fell out

Ah, it's been an exciting day already. First the thunderstorm while we were gone over the weekend french-fried the pump, so no water at home last night when we got back from a 1,000 mile round trip. Sooooo, this morning, I finally isolate THAT problem and jump in my trusty TDI, which had served...