Search results

1. D

SOLD: 2002 Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback, San Francisco Bay Area, $5k OBO

After many happy years, it's time to let her go. If you're all about this vehicle and looking for an incredibly low mileage one that's been well taken care of (and has a killer stereo), look no further. I'm yet to get my replacement vehicle, but once I do, I'll get this puppy fully detailed...
  2. my-golf.JPG

my-golf.JPG

3. D

Flaky electrical

No CEL, no code.
  4. D

Flaky electrical

Hey everyone — my 2002 Mk4 golf suddenly had the drivers side windows/door lock control panel stop working. I noticed the rear view mirrors controls above it also weren’t working. I figured time to replace each set of controls but lo and behold today both are back to working fine. This has me...
  5. D

Driving with leaky injector pump

Great considerations @Prairieview - I figure the risk to nearby rubber remains road trip or not. So far no smell in the cabin even at low speeds and not parking anywhere spectacular that can’t stand a little diesel spillage. As usual, reading online you can find any info you want and found a...
  6. D

Driving with leaky injector pump

Noticed a bit of diesel below my golf TDI and mechanic confirmed my injector pump is leaking a little. I have to wait a few weeks for their pro to come back and determine if a reseal will do the trick, or if we must rebuild it. I have a road trip planned for tomorrow of course that would be...
  7. D

First failed fuel filter change - ringin' in the new year right

Turns out I did the same thing again and now searching for the post explaining how to crack an injector. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone have it handy?
  8. D

VW scandal and older models

Happened on a Netflix special last night going over the emissions scandal. I have a 2002 Golf TDI and didn’t pay much attention to the story when it broke since it only applies to later model cars. What I don’t understand yet is how is this so? Were the earlier models like my own simply not...
  9. D

Sluggish up hills, now check engine light

thanks, that complexity makes me feel less humiliated. anyway, turns out it was vacuum hose leak. :o
  10. D

Still no luck popping the plug off the MAF. I did get a P1556 code read though, which seems to basically not pinpoint anything after some research here.
  11. D

Yeah I'm kicking myself since it seems utterly impossible to unplug and not happening like the 3 vids I saw. Would a scan code come back pretty definitive pointing to faulty maf? I guess getting the scan now is my only next step.
  12. D

Guess I win dumbass of the day award (very frustrated)... can't for the life of me unplug the MAF sensor and managed to snap off the little plastic bridge piece I believe I was supposed to be lifting up on.
  13. D

Oh ok... the vid is of a Toyota, so I will ignore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4U_CGkS8ag
  14. D

Thanks guys, like KLXD mentions, I'll try first running with it unplugged. One vid shows a guy disconnecting the MAF while the engine's running and says if the engine stops, the MAF is fine. Only if it keeps running can you know it's definitely bad (or needs a cleaning). That an ok way to...
  15. D

Thanks Vince.... going to look into maybe cleaning the MAF sensor this weekend before surrendering to a shop.
  16. D

Interesting tip on "limp mode" (and Autozone's free scanning... will def check that out). But I don't lose "all" power if that's what limp mode is. It definitely slows down and crawls up, barely keeping 15mph with no ability to push beyond that.
  17. D

Hi all, curious if anyone has any immediate thoughts on what this could be. 02 TDI, only about 70k miles. Moved to a hilly neighborhood a few months back and last week noticed the car was really slow and sluggish up a really steep hill (like, can't go past 20 no matter what). Today the check...
  18. D

Well, got it starting again just fine now... bled injector #3 a bit.
  19. D

Thanks for confirming. First time I saw it (my old one lacks it), hence I was thrown by it. I'm sure some will disagree but you're probably right. Just caused myself another little headache for probably nothing. Got a mityvac and got a clear stream off the filter now towards the pump. Still...
  20. D

Realized I put the O-rings on wrong (should have been blue on top, black bottom so I've read), so went to remove them and broke my blue one. (sigh) Don't suppose anyone knows a quick/easy way to get new O-rings? The nearby auto parts store offered to visually compare and replace, but seems a...