Search results

1. T

DSG shift knob re-install

Car is a 2006 Jetta with DSG. I had to do my headliner (yuck), and as part of that job had to remove the center console, and as part of *that* job had to remove the shift handle. I put it back on, but now I can't do Tiptronic manual gear selection, nor can I go into "sports" mode. The handle...
  2. T

Question re BRM oil cooler coolant hoses

I'm working on timing belt #2 change on my BRM, and would like to (per Bentley) disconnect one of the coolant hoses to the oil cooler to drain all of the coolant from the engine. Good luck! They're somewhat oil-soaked and have swelled (a bit) and melted onto the oil cooler. I'm scared to be...
  3. T

Radiator fan question

My car is an '06 Jetta with BRM engine, 152k miles. I'm noticing that the radiator fan (I think it's the "left", driver's side large fan) is making a "thump thump" noise after the car is shut off as it spools down. It may be noisy when the engine is running as well, but I can't tell over the...
  4. T

timing belt trouble -- please help!!

Trying to change the timing belt on my 2006 BRM Jetta, I ran into some difficulty. The new belt was very stiff. To get it on, I had to remove the camshaft sprocket, put the belt on the sprocket, and put the sprocket back on the hub. Unfortunately, I think I didn't get the sprocket all the way...
  5. T

BRM timing belt questions

My '06 Jetta is approaching 80k miles, and has been the best car I've ever owned up to this point. I've done all the scheduled maintenance on it up to now, and I figured ... what the heck, why hand it over to the dealership for the 80k service? But I've never done a timing belt job before...
  6. T

How do you unplug the MAF?

Starting to look at my 40K maintenance. One of the first steps in the DSG fluid/filter change procedure is "unplug the MAF". Problem: I can't get the connector to budge. The Bentley says "snap the clip down". I don't think anything on this "snaps down". The connector seems to have a...
  7. T

Three brake fluid notes ...

Three items of interest concerning brake fluid: (1) GM part number 88958860 "Super Dot 4 brake and clutch fluid" may be available at many GM dealership parts counters, especially at Saturn and Chevy dealerships. According to my research, it's rebranded Pentosin! Not very cheap -- $6-7 per 1/4...
  8. T

KCTDI CCV fix for A5 Jetta problems ...

Okay, I'm trying to rig up a KCTDI ccv filter for my '06 A5 Jetta, and I'm running into some trouble finding fittings to hook everything up. But the bigger problem is that there isn't really room to put an elbow (and hoses, and hose clamps) on the valve cover and point the elbow toward the...
  9. T

News in re Valvoline and 505.01 !

I mentioned in this thread [http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=140480] that I was writing to Valvoline and Schaeffer to ask about their support for 505.01. I got a nice letter from Valvoline today. The letter indicated (as they'd told me in a previous email) that they recommended...
  10. T

Info from Valvoline in re 505.01

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm a newbie to the forums, but an oldie to TDI, having driven a '96 TDI Passat for 131k miles. Less than a week ago, I traded in my old reliable diesel and stepped into the brave new world of PD with a new Jetta, magic VW oil specs and all. (My Passat was...