1. A

2001 5 speed reverse struggle

Glad you got it figured out!
  2. A

Floppy transmission mount?

Swapped out. Problem solved.
  3. A

I think I totalled my 2000 TDI NB

Oh oh...Sorry to hear that. Compression test on these is that easy: Except you use the glow plug bores. I have one of these $30 Hazard Fraught jobs and it threads right up & works fine. Be sure to blast the glow plug holes out with brake cleaner first, then try to get any grit out before you...
  4. Trans_Mount2

Trans_Mount2

OK- try this one - maybe mo betta. Dogbone feels tight. Right side mount feels a lot tighter but quite a bit more difficult to get my camera on it
  5. A

OK- try this one - maybe mo betta. Dogbone feels tight. Right side mount feels a lot tighter but quite a bit more difficult to get my camera on it too. https://youtu.be/usCjobTEgTc
  6. A

2003 Jetta TDI ALH - 5spd https://youtu.be/usCjobTEgTc (New video) about 11 seconds. Does this seem like excessive play at the pendulum mount? Symptoms: Shudder with clutch engagement when leaving a stop - (either 1st or reverse). This presents with a clunking sound as the dogbone vibrates...
  7. Trans_Mount_play1

Trans_Mount_play1

2003 Jetta TDI ALH - 5spd Can't get this vid to load here so here's a YouTube link - 3 second video. https://youtu.be/PTEnXQLVyiI Does this seem like excessive play at the pendulum mount? Symptoms: Shudder with clutch engagement when leaving a stop - (either 1st or reverse). This presents with a cl
  8. A

2001 5 speed reverse struggle

I've seen some replacement CV bolts that are a bit too long (or the inner flange maybe not deep enough for the bolts)- so long they look like they could easily interfere with the casting webbing near the output flanges...Easy enough to take a look - you'll know if you see nicks on the casting...
  9. A

Clanky calipers

Thank you Mr. Alchemist. I just placed the order. Will post results!
  10. A

Clanky calipers

Yes, light pressure does quiet them, but it's not the pads: The caliper slides on the knuckle, and it's the caliper rattling against the knuckle that's making the clanky noise - evidenced by visible play and audible clank. Looking at the Bentley, (Page 46-3)...Looks to me like the bushings (not...
  11. Screen_Shot_2016-07-26_at_6_04_10_PM

Screen_Shot_2016-07-26_at_6_04_10_PM

12. AZCACOIDNVORUTWAWY627762dac7db303a4e97e426d8db1464445046sm

AZCACOIDNVORUTWAWY627762dac7db303a4e97e426d8db1464445046sm

13. A

Clanky calipers

I know guys: This is the weirdest thing- I've never seen it (and like I said, I've done several sets of brakes on MKIVs)...With car in the air, tapping bottom of tire with a heavy mallet to reproduce the noise, a buddy and I started with suspension/steering components. After eliminating...
  14. A

Clanky calipers

Yep: They're stock brother. Strangely enough: tightening doesn't make them any quieter. They're still clanking away. I would have thought tightening would have eliminated any clanky play (sounds like a craigslist personals ad), but there's still movement.
  15. A

Clanky calipers

I have finally tracked down that annoying "klankety klank" (the one I have allowed to annoy me for several months) from my front end over washboard roads. My front calipers have enough wiggle that I can actually wiggle them by hand. I thought "Huh. Thought I tightened those to spec"...But even...
  16. IMG_8358

IMG_8358

Hwy 260
  17. IMG_8357

IMG_8357

Hwy 188
  18. IMG_8356

IMG_8356

Hwy 188