Search results

1. Blacktree

Where is the fan control module 2002 vw jetta

Like mentioned above, the fan control module (which also controls the A/C compressor clutch) is under the frame rail, below the battery tray. I have a video showing how to replace it. Maybe this will help? PS - The video also shows how to replace the fuse panel on top of the battery. One of...
  2. Blacktree

Where can I buy a decent Jetta MK4 trailer hitch (within the USA St. Louis region)?

The Curt hitch is doing fine for me. Although I don't think I've towed anything over 1000 lb with it.
  3. Blacktree

Door Card Upholstery

How much did it cost? Can you share the link?
  4. Blacktree

EGR Delete... This one is different!

If you wanna get fancy, IDParts sells an EGR coolant bypass kit. Here's a link: https://www.idparts.com/egr-cooler-coolant-bypass-kit-alh-speed-3b0122291b-alhegrcoolerbypass-p-2170.html
  5. Blacktree

Making a Project out of my Jetta

It's been over a month since the valve cover gasket install. I was curious to see if the gasket was working. So I popped the engine cover and took a look. SPOILER ALERT: The gasket is holding! Nice. :cool:
  6. Blacktree

lifespan of original LCA bushings?

On my car, the rear LCA bushings wore out faster than the fronts. So I replaced them with Audi TT bushings. IMO it was a nice upgrade.
  7. Blacktree

Has anyone ever seen a strut mount like this?

Just to be clear, that's the top of the strut shaft. If the other side is different, then you have 2 different struts!
  8. Blacktree

ALH valve cover gasket removal...

Hey guys, I just did this job on my ALH engine. And I made a video about it. Maybe this will help somebody.
  9. Blacktree

And here's the video. Maybe this will help someone out.
  10. Blacktree

The valve cover gasket on the Jetta was leaking. Instead of replacing the whole valve cover assembly, I decided to try the BEW gasket retrofit. Spoiler Alert: it was a hassle. But it saved me some cash. A couple photos: Here's what the valve cover looks like, with the gasket removed...
  11. Blacktree

Well, this is disappointing. The transmission mount only lasted about 30k miles. To add insult to injury, the replacement was also a little loose. Not gonna lie, I'm thinking about getting a tube of urethane window sealer. :cautious: Anyway, here's a video of the mount replacement.
  12. Blacktree

And here's the rear shock replacement. This was super easy! I think it took longer to fiddle with the camera gear than to do the actual work.
  13. Blacktree

Am I crazy...

"Am I crazy?" Well, if you have to ask... :p
  14. Blacktree

The Jetta was overdue for new shocks and struts. Unfortunately, I forgot to buy bump stops for the shocks. So I could only install the struts. I'll be installing the shocks tomorrow. I used a couple shortcuts to make the strut replacement easier.
  15. Blacktree

Any good way to check engine mounts?

You can remove the engine cover, grab the valve cover, and try to physically push the engine back and forth. If it moves more than a few millimeters, the mounts are worn out. (or you're super strong!)
  16. Blacktree

It's been awhile since I posted anything about the Jetta. In a way, that's a good thing. That means the car has been reliable. However, I decided to check the catch can again, to see if it's working. I checked it a few months ago, but forgot to check the intercooler to see if oil is still...
  17. Blacktree

sticky vanes

I didn't think to mention this, but yes... I agree with the above. The VNT mechanism needs to be completely disassembled to clean it properly. After doing all the work to get the turbo out and get the turbine housing off, it would be silly not to take out the vanes and clean those as well.
  18. Blacktree

sticky vanes

It's probably the camera angle. The blades were undamaged. Separating the cartridge from the manifold was a huge PITA. It took several cycles of heating and dousing the bolts to get them out. I think I used PB Blaster, but don't get hung-up on brand names. After the bolts were out, it took...
  19. Blacktree

sticky vanes

I've been down this road already. A couple comments: 1) The Mr. Muscle brand of oven cleaner does not have magical properties. But it does have sodium hydroxide (aka Lye). Any oven cleaner with sodium hydroxide will do. 2) Depending on how gunked-up the turbo is, the "oven cleaner down the EGR...
  20. Blacktree

Limp mode with no stored codes?

Same here. I could tell when my Jetta was going into limp mode, because the car would suddenly feel sluggish and the boost wouldn't go above 3-4 PSI. I went through the limp mode checklist (search for it in this sub-forum), and found the problem. In my case, the vacuum actuator was shagged, and...