Search results

1. U

Trunk Troubles

BenIV is correct... I only have one indicator for all the doors and trunk. In my case it always latches, but over the past 6 months it will sporadically not release with either the lever (next to the fuel door latch) or the trunk button on the key fob, and since the trunk was replaced, the...
  2. U

Inconsistent brake wear...

Just to close this thread, I did take the breaks apart again and discovered the pins on the rear were completely froze on one of the rear wheels, and not moving as freely on the rest. A good cleaning and a healthy dose of silicone grease freed things up and it no longer pulls to the right...
  3. U

Trunk Troubles

Weird quirk happening. I got the dreaded door ajar light recently, and was worried I had to replace another door latch ($$$). However after messing around it turns out the trunk lid is the cause of it. It's strange though because if I close the latch while the trunk if actually open the light...
  4. U

Rotors were replaced about 20k ago and are still in good order. Pads obviously were in need of replacing. I'll take it apart again and see how dirty those guide pins are. Thank you for your thoughts.
  5. U

I recently changed the brake pad on a MKIV Jetta and was surprised to see that the driver's side pads were still in reasonable shape, but the bad noise was coming from the passenger side (see attached photos). Historically since the last time I had the car aligned, I noticed a slight pull to...
  6. 20201105_193316.jpg

20201105_193316.jpg

7. 20201105_193338.jpg

20201105_193338.jpg

8. U

Limp Mode and Warm Starting Issues

Did a bunch more digging and this is what I learned along the way. Always hate a thread that was never resolved. No start issue was injection pump losing its prime. After some inspection, I saw that it had a leaky seal somewhere. Would run great so long as it was never turned off. I drove...
  9. U

It's showing P0234 Overboost I can also confirm that the title is misleading. As mentioned yesterday, immediately after parking it, it fired right up. Now it's sat 24 hours and doesn't start at all. I'm pretty confident however, that if I gave it a little nudge with some gasoline fumes in...
  10. U

Additional anecdote, I was trying to do the unplug the temperature sensor that is below the vacuum pump at the rear of the head, but when I'd start to pull on the plug, coolant would start to drip, and I was afraid of causing a gusher that I wasn't prepared to handle. I just needed the car to...
  11. U

So I've done a bunch of back digging and found quite a few older threads that rarely get resolved, or at least never report back the solution, and haven't stumbled on the right thread yet, so anyone is welcome to point me in that direction as well. First problem is the limp mode. Car has been...
  12. U

Spare Tire Size

To conclude this thread... The dealer I bought it from was a small spot, with maybe a dozen cars at the time that I bought it. He was also closing his business as he was not doing very well, which was why I got a respectable deal on the car. I ended up going to a scrap yard and bought a 16"...
  13. U

Spare Tire Size

Thanks for the perspective all, and for the offers of spare tire sales. It will likely be cheaper to either buy the rim and put an older tire on it, or go the salvage yard route and find something compatible.
  14. U

Spare Tire Size

I bought a 2012 Jetta TDI recently for a price that I couldn't refuse. $7k with just over 60k on the odometer (6speed manual). Was recently from Michigan on the buyback program. Only issue I've found thus far has been that the original owner took the spare tire and tool kit out before they...
  15. U

2003 Jetta -- 5pd, Leather, Fully Loaded, 185k

Man! That thing is minty fresh and clean! I'd say your price is completely fair and you shouldn't have any issues selling it in the condition that it is in. I tip my hat to you for taking such great care of your vehicle.
  16. U

Serious Electrical Demon... taking no prisoners.

I appreciate when there's closure on a thread so here's the end result. Finally had time last Saturday to do some more troubleshooting. Didn't take long to point the finger on that fuse box atop of the battery. I find it sort of strange though that the plastic melts before the fuse does...
  17. U

Thanks again everyone for your help on this. The Indian voltage regulator was really temperamental and would sometimes produce 14 volts at the alternator and other times only produce 11. I have replaced it with a Bosch one and it is now consistently producing 14 volts at the alternator but I...
  18. U

The battery after charging with a battery charger was reading, while not connected to the car, 12.9 at the parts store and 12.6 with my voltmeter. After connecting to the car and starting it, it was reading 11.6 so there is not any charge flowing to the battery. The guy who sold me the...
  19. U

Thanks Mawcus. I have tested at the battery but will test at the alternator here this morning and see what I'm getting. I looked over all of my major grounds and everything is as tight as a dish. Anyone else have some advice? I'm leaning towards replacing the Indian to start, to avoid...
  20. U

So there I was... A few weeks back my car was having the tale-tall signs of alternator struggles. Power loss, dimming headlights and dash lights, and clearly no battery charge as car wouldn't start after driving. I thought I'd take the cheater approach, since my car only has 102,000 miles, that...