Search results

1. queek

Feeler: 1995 B4 GLX TDI Syncro

UPDATE: SOLD : It pains me to sell this after putting so much work into it, but I need to make room for other projects. I bought this car new in December '94 and as I explain in my build thread rather than get rid of it I chose to have some fun with it. I made the aquaintance of a Canadian...
  2. queek

Old version of Vag-Com

Does anybody have the set up file for 311.2-N they could email me? I accidentally deleted it. ptrmzr@verizon.net Thanks, Peter
  3. queek

Viton vs. PVC tubing

Does anyone have experience with PCV tubing. THe only downside is that the PVC temperature rating is -35 to 165 deg F where as Viton is good up to 400. PVC however is 1.30/ft vs $3.34/ft for Viton. What are the highest fuel return temperatures you would expect from a TDI?
  4. queek

WTB: 5th gear set

I need an 02A TDI 5th gear set ratio: 0.756 from a CTN.
  5. queek

Gasser cat vs. Diesel cat

Is there an internal/functional difference between a catalytic converter for a gas engine and one for a diesel? I am doing a tdi syncro conversion for which a gasser syncro twin cat would fit better.
  6. queek

Corrado TDI in Warren R.I.

Saw a Corrado TDI in Warren R.I. Monday 8-24 stopped at a bicycle crossing on Child Street. While riding across the street - gave him a thumbs up. Very nice car - metallic bronze with a custom grille.
  7. queek

Timing belt - visual inspection?

I was told by the previous owner that the timing belt has about 15k miles on it. Do these belts have tell tale signs of impending failure? Considering the shifty nature of the guy and the critical nature of this part I am inclined to replace it, but as I look closely it looks "new". Can...
  8. queek

Timing belts - visual Inspection?

I was told by the previous owner that the timing belt has about 15k miles on it. Do these belts have tell tale signs of impending failure? Considering the shifty nature of the guy and the critical nature of this part I am inclined to replace it, but as I look closely it looks "new". Can...
  9. queek

Parts from Mexico?

Browsing through ETKA it seems that a lot of the European engine/trans options were offered in Mexico. Unless when they put together ETKA they were covering all bases, there are listed, for example, Passats equipped with TDI 6-speed 4-motion drive-trains from 2001 through 2008! If this is...
  10. queek

Glx Tdi Syncro

Well here it goes. I posted a hint of this project early in the year and now things are finally starting to happen. I have a 95 Passat GLX that I bought new in Dec ’94 that now has 153k miles on it. It is no longer my daily driver, but it has been such a reliable car that I couldn’t get rid...
  11. queek

WTB: 1Z pressure pipe and union

Wanted to buy for a 1Z: #4 cylinder pressure pipe (028 130 304F) - I may be interested in buying the set of 4. the union between the pipe and the injection pump (028 130 795G). Thanks, Peter 609-213-0492
  12. queek

Injection Timing setting for a 1Z

OK, this may seem really lame, and I really have tried but I am growing old searching this site and the Bentley manual for what seems like the most basic of specs: What is the Injection timing setting for a 1Z engine (at idle)? Vag com group 4 shows 0.4 BTDC specified and 0.4 BTDC actual...
  13. queek

TDI in a Honda CRV?

Has anyone done this one yet? I searched to no avail. I really like the looks of the early CRV's when they still had some style and they are light cars. I guess a syncro trans would be in order assuming the rear drive is 1:1.
  14. queek

Rough running from 1400 to 1800rpm

I just picked up a 96 Passat TDI with 175k on the engine. It runs great at highway, especially going up from 60 to 75mph, but at low speed it seems to lack torque and almost "dogs" when lightly accelerating in 4th or 5th under 1800rpm. As soon as I hit 2000rpm its smooth again. Any ideas for...
  15. queek

The cost of a rebuild

I am closing in a purchase of a Passat TDI with close to 200k miles on it. What milage do these engines tend to need rebuilds? Are there tell tale signs short of doing a compression test that indicate that one of these engines is due for an overhaul? Assuming a boring is required what...
  16. queek

trans comparison

I am lining up what I need to make my 95 GLX a TDI syncro. The trans choice is confusing. They made a 1.8 syncro and a VR6 syncro and I think there might have been a TDI syncro but I would be very lucky to find one of those. If I were to start with a 1.8 or the VR6 (syncro) trans can I...
  17. queek

trans comparison

I am lining up what I need to make my 95 GLX a TDI syncro. The trans choice is confusing. They made a 1.8 syncro and a VR6 syncro and I think there might have been a TDI syncro but I would be very lucky to find one of those. If I were to start with a 1.8 or the VR6 (syncro) trans can I...
  18. queek

PD vs TDI

Is there a difference between these two engines? Is the PD a new version?
  19. queek

To buy or convert?

I have a 95 GLX 5sp Wagon and I want to end up with a TDI wagon going down one of the three paths: 1. Buy a nice 96 TDI (for about 8k to 10k) and sell the GLX as is and dress up the TDI cosmetically (for now anyway). 2. Buy the TDI and swap over the GLX suspension - I love the way the GLX...
  20. queek

Converting a late Passat TDI to manual

I want a late madel Passat TDI with a stick shift (who wouldn't) like every 19 of 20 running around Europe. Anybody know what the effort would be to install a manual trans from a late model 4 cylinder gas Passat into a say a 2005 TDI with an auto? I would guess there's alot of electronics that...