Search results

1. K

Need brakes - 2006 Jetta in Chicago?

Greetings, fellow Chicagoans! I'm in desperate need of quality brake work for the 2006 Jetta, on the North side of Chicago (I'm at Addison and Central). I've "ostriched" about getting it done (due to Other Serious Life Issues) and now I have draggy, grindy brakes that I certainly don't want...
  2. K

'06 Suspension parts: Bilstein & Sachs or Koni's?

I need new shocks (R) and struts (F), and have been shopping parts prices. I've come to the (inevitable?) Which brand/s are the better choice? and/or worth the few extra bucks? questions... The shop with the excellent labor prices - DubWerks - uses Bilstein and Sachs, and Rich sez they're...
  3. K

A4 wagon at Meijer's - Bloomingdale (IL)

Wow! I actually saw somebody - I usually miss 'em ! Navy blue (pretty!) Jetta wagon in the Meijer parking lot on Gary Ave., about 4pm. Licence QTxxxx, parked right next to me (KHARMN 1) Do we know you? Happy Spring, in spite of the heavy snow warnings for tonight and tomorrow!
  4. K

Body Shop reco in Elgin-Roselle area?

Had a tiny little bumper-bender yesterday - Does anybody have a recommendatioon for Mk5-familiar body shop in the area around Elgin and/or Roselle IL? "Good" is more important than "Close", but I don't want to go to Madison or Springfield, LOL! Truly minor-looking damage, her fault no...
  5. K

#1 snow, #2 winter - weird braking action...?

2006, Pkg 0, DSG - It snowed in Chicago today! :eek: And I got this weird new effect when I braked on slickery road - ? * No idiot lights. (The "swervy road light" does come on when accelerating on slick) * Squawky, chunky noise and pulse from the front brakes. * Pedal stopped moving about...
  6. K

An open-minded discussion of options for the future...

Looks like this blog was posted on September 24 - Hybrid Or Biodiesel? http://www.liveearth.org/?p=284 Not only is the article fairly accurate - so are most of the comments! :) What do you think?
  7. K

White A5, with Ladders!

Bright flashy graphics, big ladders, and two alarm installers, wb on Fabyan Parkway in Batavia IL. You turned south on Kirk Rd., I think. Glad you guys worked out the ladder-carrier ~ I remember a thread about "how can we make this work?" a couple months ago.
  8. K

Can't make it to the "Fest? Come to the Brat Stop!

So - who all's planning to come out to the Brat Stop thursday (8-30) evening? ... sometime around 7pm...until about 9 or so... Show up when you can! The food's good, the beer's cold (even the Guinness :mad:), and the company's usually excellent! It's NOT a "meeting", like with a chairman and a...
  9. K

53/290 NB at Palatiine Rd.

Saw a shiny black A4 Jetta going a "little faster than traffic" ;) on 53 on the Palatine Road bridge yesterday (Monday) about 6:20 pm. I couldn't quite catch up before I got off at Palatine wb. Plate said T ELWOOD. Anybody we know?
  10. K

Larry and his MB greasecar - Gurnee bio station

First time I've seen anybody but a big-rig at the bio pumps at Citgo on Rt. 41 in Gurnee! Told him about us, gave him one of JasonTDI's card, with TDIclub.com and my name on it. He lives near Highland Park, and didn't know there that many of us around! If you see this, Larry ~ Welcome!
  11. K

Skid Plate + Bio-D = happy, happy!

So how did I spend Saturday night? Getting my Panzer plate installed :):rolleyes::D Matt (MiksTDI) did the wrenching and I (mostly) did the reading - seemed like a pretty easy install - only quibble is that the photos don't print with the directions - "Pictures are Good" - WI-FI laptop is Good...
  12. K

In the snow, I want a 5-speed!!! (Rant with questions)

Mostly this is a rant, sorry, gotta share my experience yesterday.:o Had a twenty mile trip to make in our lovely record-breaking snow in chicago 'burbs - Traffic on 290 wan't toooo bad, just 10 to 15 mph :eek: at 3:30 in the afternoon! But - I got Sooo-o-o-o-o-o tired of arguing with the...
  13. K

Outbound Dan Ryan, this afternoon

Lady in a maroon MB wagon - looked alot like yours, Jack! - Michigan plates. Probably headed home after the weekend. Anybody we know?
  14. K

Outbound Eisenhower, tonight

Fellow with glasses in a dark wagon (Jetta? Passat? couldn't tell). Between Harlem and Austin, about 7:30 pm I gave you a thumbs-up! as I passed on the right, but you were in animated conversation with passenger.
  15. K

Inbound on Elgin-O'Hare/290 this morning

Red A4, Eastbound on the E-O'H about 7:30 this morning. I waved and gave a thumbs up, I'm not sure you didn't think "What's with her?!?" Sorry I lost track of you on 290 - I was running late! (Who am I kidding? I just LO-O-O-O-VE the Zoom :D:D:D ) __________________ kharmin '06 Jetta -...
  16. K

Calendar needs updating?

Just checked the Calendar, and it doesn't show 2007. kharmin
  17. K

Weekend Edition interview - "Repeal Big Oil Subsidies?"

Sounds like Rep.McDermott has been paying attention to our concerns. OIL SUBSIDIES Audio for this story will be available at approx. 1:00 p.m. ET 1-14-07 http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=10 Weekend Edition Sunday, January...
  18. K

Looking for suggestions - daily-driver van/SUV

What used vehicles to avoid? What to look for? Personal experience reports welcome! PM me. Thanks! ~~~~~~~~~~ My sister is looking to replace her husband's scooter-lift-equipped '93 Dodge van. She absolutely must have: ~ capacity and access for John's scooter and the lift it goes in on...
  19. K

Inbound on I90 Wed AM - Des Plaines?

Exchanged "Thumbs up" with a gray Passat TDI about 9:30am. You had on a dark hat of some kind, I had a ding-ie blonde in pass. seat. :rolleyes: Happy commuting!
  20. K

Quickest route from Rockford to Platteville?

I have a family funeral to attend tomorrow Thursday afternoon in Platteville, Wisc. We're coming from the direction of Rockford. I see three "reasonable" options - which is quickest? (Shortest is not so important - I have a diesel! :rolleyes: ) 1) I90-39 North to the Beltline, and down 151 2)...