Search results

1. T

Clunk while turning in reverse

So I know this has been covered but I have this issue so I seek the wisdom of the brethren. Usually I get a clunk on drivers side when reversing and turning and then another clunk as I go forward and straighten out. I have replace LCAs, ball joints, tie rods, and drivers strut assembly, and...
  2. T

2002 Jetta TDI AC slow to engage

Lost my AC last week. Checked under the hood and neither fan was running at operating temp - jumpered the fan connection and figure out fan control module was shot. Then a new problem - AC clutch would engage when vehicle was first started for a minute or two and then shut off (vents would...
  3. T

2002 Jetta TDI Dead gauge cluster

Yesterday my gauge cluster literally went up in smoke. Was driving and smelled burning, smoke started coming out of dash. Pulled over and shut it off. Would not restart. Got it towed home, pulled gauge cluster, took it apart, and big spot behind speedo is black. Will Rosstech VCDS be able...
  4. T

2002 Jetta 5 speed REVERSE, 2nd and 4th issues

I have been having issues with getting into 2nd and 4th sporadically. It would not go into those gears and then within several minutes everything would be fine. Now I can't get it into reverse, reverse seems to be first gear but no issues getting into 2nd and 4th. The nut on the top of the...
  5. T

Dead speedo/odometer

Lost them both on the way to work this morning. After much searching I found where the damn sensor is. Grabbed a hold of it and can twist it by hand. I'm assuming this is the issue. Sensor does not appear to be broken. Can I just tighten it back up? Is the threaded portion part of the...
  6. T

2002 Jetta 5 speed cv axle broke free - HELP

Pulled into parking lot at work this morning and apparently several of the axle bolts snapped and now axle appears to twisted away from the transmission held on by maybe 1 or 2 bolts. There was a trail of transmission fluid to the spot I parked it. I can't see much as I am at work. I'm...
  7. T

Jetta lower control arm replacement question

Car is now a manual transmission. On the driver side do you have to undo the motor mount to get one of the bolts out?
  8. T

Battery charge now check engine light??

Charged my battery in the car over the weekend. I have the amp draw issue but that is another issue for another time. After I got done charging the battery my check engine light came on with the Auto transmission codes - I did the 5 speed swap 70k miles ago. I used vagcom and went in and the...
  9. T

Power steering issue

Parked it over the weekend. Went out this morning to drive to work and no power steering. The reservoir is full. With the car running i can see the fluid slowly moving in the reservoir is this normal? Shouldn't it be really moving through that reservoir with the engine running?
  10. T

2002 Jetta TDI slight grind going into 2nd (5speed)

My shifting has started getting a little notchy in the last couple of months. I don't rag on the car, no power shifting or any of that nonsense. No idea how old trans fluid is - possibly original (220kish) on trans. Dog bone is probably original. Cable ends still seem to be in good shape. I...
  11. T

2002 strut issue after being on lift

Shop had my car for 2 days while doing my timing belt change. Now front right strut is super bouncy. Is this normal? Struts are 18ish months old Moogs.
  12. T

Water/Condesation in my trunk!

The car sat over my christmas vacation. I get back in and it smells musty. So today i pull the spare tire cover off and I notice it has mold by the little plastic latch. Underneath is moist the spare tire and tools all have water/condensation on them! I pulled everything out and I notice...
  13. T

2002 Jetta battery drain, multiple fuses "hot"

Had some issues with battery drain, got out the test light last night and started probing the fuse panel. Found these hot several minutes after shut down: Radio System - radio was off (pioneer aftermarket) #42 Dual horn Emergency Flasher system Trailer Socket Sunroof Fog lights A/C clutch...
  14. T

Factory skid plate hardware

I have been searching and cannot find a link to torx screws and fitting that hold the factory skid plate in place. I'm down to about 5 screws holding it on.
  15. T

WTB Flashzilla v2

Very interested in one of these - please let me know if you have one available.
  16. T

Metal shaving is PS resevoir....no PS

Probably a stupid question but my 2002 TDI w/ 331k miles lost power steering the other day...i topped off the fluid and PS returned. This morning I start it up no PS and there are metal shavings in the reservoir. I topped it off with Pentosin CHF 11s. Would this be the pump having died on...
  17. T

2002 Jetta TDI AC cooling issue?

I'm in central FL and I've noticed the AC is not as cold as it used to be. Sitting at idle with ac on its around 62 degrees on an 85-90 degree day. I tested pressures in the system - around 40 on low side and 225 on high side at idle. Running down the road at 70 mph with recirculate on its...
  18. T

mk4 driver's side wheel bearing question

Mine is toast and I need to replace it. I've read up a lot on how to do this. Is it necessary to remove the 3 bolts under the ball joint? Can't you just turn the wheel, remove the axle, and then pull the hub?
  19. T

MOOG strut assemblies

I did a search and didn't find much on anyone using these so I'm adding my experience with them. Installed these about two weeks ago. Raised the front end about an inch which was fine as my old struts I thing were about dead. I was pretty sure I had a bad strut bearing anyway. All around the...
  20. T

Driver's side CV axle

Get my new tires put on the other day and shop tells me I have a bad driver's side CV axle. I got a chance to look at it today and I see the grease is coming out of the front of the boot but I see no tear? What gives? I'm fairly new to CV axles so any help would be appreciated.