Search results

1. sloinker

New fuel filter....not quite what I was expecting.

Have a '15 Golf and '15 sportwagen, both tdi's. I have changed fuel filters on both in the past. I ordered a couple new filters via Rockauto as I was on there ordering parts for another vehicle anyway. These things look way different. Are they useable for my application? If not, what do they...
  2. sloinker

Been a while....need opinions/help 2014 Jetta TDI

I personally own a couple 2015 tdi's a Golf HB and a Sportwagen TDI. This is for my daughters friends 2014 Jetta TDI. Is there consensus on a complete timing belt kit and tool kit for its change on the board? Cost is always a factor but not at the expense of quality/longevity. What should I...
  3. sloinker

Just replaced an alternator on 2014 Jetta TDI. A few thoughts.

First off, not my car. Daughter's friend. 111k miles. The decoupler on the alternator failed and was making much noise and movement of tensioner and belt. Gal took it to garage and they told her timing belt and quoted $1400. She called me and I'm thinking if it's a bad timing belt making noise...
  4. sloinker

Looking for the tools used for timing belt changes.

I am faced with what is going to be a timing belt service on a 2014 Jetta TDI,(CJAA?), this summer and eventually my two 2015 Golf's with EA288 engines. I'm thinking there is a difference between the two as far as pins/locater's for the crank and other front end sprocket's. If so, who sells a...
  5. sloinker

Getting the 2A and 2B emission install Wednesday.

Had the hatchback in for the annoying Must be in Park for service alarm recall and decided to go ahead and schedule the diesel gate final fix. Took almost a month for the parts to show up. Wish me luck. I am seriously thinking of voiding the warranty on my other TDI, the sportwagen. The car is...
  6. sloinker

What soot load for regen to start?

Bit the bullet and moved into the 20th err 21st century and now am a cell phone owner. Bought a $10 dongle and downloaded the free version of VAG DPF. Looked at the daughters car and my car and with the 3 available parameters it looks like both my daughters and my Golf's have regen'ed within the...
  7. sloinker

Tail light rear driver outer replacement?

Howdy, daughter's car has taken another hit in a parking lot it seems. The lens on this outer tail light has been broken and lost some of its outer plastic along the bottom. The number on the assembly is 5GM.945.095.E The question I have is on the final letter on this assembly. The cost...
  8. sloinker

DPF status through bluetooth to Windows 7 Laptop

Saw mention of a program and dongle to monitor the DPF by Lightflyer on a different thread. My daughters 2015 Sportwagen with the EA288 is a short driver. A couple of times the CEL and code for needing a regen has come on and I will take the car for a long freeway drive and clear the code. I...
  9. sloinker

displays and how to get them.

Different displays and how to get them? I was looking at my selectable display a while back and was seeing oil temperature as part of the driving data. It is now gone and replaced by climate information, fan settings, mirror heaters etc. I didn't set out to change this. It somehow changed itself...
  10. sloinker

Until Midnight tonight only! Ravenol/Blauparts sale!

Went ahead and ordered the refill kits for both my '15 Golfs and a kit for my '14 Dodge. A true Group IV oil 18% off with free shipping over $99. https://www.blauparts.com/shop-parts.html?find=volkswagen-golf-2015-2-0l-16v-diesel-tdi-l4-17249
  11. sloinker

ERROR: Service vehicle. Only leave vehicle in P position

Seems there is now a recall for this problem. A buildup of dirt on a shifter mechanism component may allow the removal of the key while the car is not in park. Info follows: Compliance Recall 37L5 – Shift Lever Micro Switch What vehicles are included in Compliance Recall 37L5? Certain 2015-2018...
  12. sloinker

Drop dead date for phase two?

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered but being lazy..... I bought two '15 Golf's new/never titled in May of 2017. They both came with phase one complete. My car has 15k miles and the daughters 10k miles.I am in no hurry for the second phase fix but don't want to be standing by the...
  13. sloinker

Group V esther base synthetic oil.

I have been doing some research and it seems that Redline is the only manufacturer of a group V synthetic in 5W-30 with a 504.00-507.00 classification. Are there any other manufacturers that use a group V base other than Redline for retail users? I can't find any. Amsoil and Some Mobil 1's are...
  14. sloinker

Locating New 2015 TDI Golf w/6sp manual

Howdy, I already bought a Golf sportwagen TDI from the local VW dealer. It has the DSG and my daughter has laid claim to it. I would like to buy another one except not a wagon and with a manual tranny. Is there any way to query whereabouts for these cars without calling every dealer? Trim...
  15. sloinker

Trying to time my buyback....

My '15 Passat vehicle tabs runs out at the end of May 2017. I would like to time my buyback to coincide without getting 2018 tabs for the car and save $300+ I have done the VWOA online registration without choosing either option as of yet. Should I just wait until say March and get the ball...
  16. sloinker

OEM wheel specs 2015 Passat SE

Wanting to go steel wheels and studded tires all around on my Passat this winter. I believe the spacing is 5X112mm. The OEM tire size is 215/55-17 What is the wheel width and backspace of originals? I'm finding too many options and don't want to order something that wont fit properly. I've used...
  17. sloinker

I.D. the engine....

First correct answer wins.
  18. sloinker

Possible 507.00 oil bargain.

Was looking at the Amalie oil website and they have a 5W-30 full synthetic which looks like its 507.00 compliant. If you look at the spec sheet it appears to be VW certified. may be worth an email to them as it's $77 for 12 quarts delivered. Here's a link...
  19. sloinker

Neutral coasting with dual mass flywheel

Been reading about coasting in gear versus coasting in neutral. I have some coasting opportunities leaving my house and going to work as it starts mostly down hill for a couple miles. I have tried both methods and the neutral coast returns better results over the same route and distance versus...
  20. sloinker

Strange oil level readings...

Second fill up today. After filling I popped the hood and checked around. Oil level at bottom of crosshatch. Went to vw dealer and they sold me a quart of Castrol Edge 5W-30 507.00 oil for 10 bucks. Drove home and popped the hood, got side tracked for about 10 minutes and pulled the stick, oil...