Search results

1. F

Door handle and other console plastic peeling off

I removed all the parts from the interior. It was also an opportunity to reupholster everything too in crush panne velour. Its doable, but if you don't knowwhat you're doing you're going to break parts.
  2. F

Injector Cleaner? Or Varnish Remover?

Recalling Toofer's thread on his homebrew injector cleaner and his creative use of power service and VM&P Naptha I was in Lowes' hardware today getting some stuff - I actually picked this up because it looked like the most intense thing there (same ingredients as varnish remover, but less...
  3. F

Does Diesel Purge Skew UOA?

So... we run some light solvents like naptha cut with diesel as injector cleaner. And a quart somehow makes enough soot to show up in an oil analysis? Funny, because I never notice soot coming out of my exhaust when I purge, but I see it all the time when I floor it :)
  4. F

Lots of smoke normal after not running it for ~1 yr?

So you changed the timing and the problem has went away?
  5. F

Automatic trans life

Did you flush the fluid, or do a partial change? With the cooler like that it should be realyl easy to flush.
  6. F

Automatic trans life

Awesome. I just watched the video in your sig - that poor transmission!
  7. F

Automatic trans life

That looks beautiful man. How did you mount it? did you put screws through it and the radiator? Or did you do something less "ghetto?" Where can I find the hose for it? I'm off to try to find a stacked plate cooler myself.
  8. F

Actual Air More than Requested Air, Why

When you pulled the EGR valve off did you test it? Stick a hose on it and suck hard, and see if it opens up the valve. The valve itself may be clogged a bit too. If its not that, check and see if there's actually a vacuum being pulled to the EGR valve.
  9. F

It means that injector 4 is trying to put out more fuel, so its putting out less, like if some of the holes in the nozzle were clogged. You would expect smoke if the nozzles were clogged and not misting properly. Does that mean that the purge did do something beneficial even if it didn't solve...
  10. F

Hmmm... What happens when you unplug the anti shudder valve? I'm guessing the next thing to do is to try to drive it for a day and see if it unsticks something in the engine.
  11. F

Humm, oldpoopie, but if it was from excessive EGR it wouldn't have blue smoke, would it? That might point to a stuck ring or valve, and as beesel said, just driving it ought to clear it up.
  12. F

The turbo doesn't even do anything at idle or in neutral, it can't be the turbo. I would replace the injectors before replacing the turbo. Is there a reason to suspect its having problems, like not being able to deliver boost? The blue smoke is oil being burnt, I don't know why you would be...
  13. F

Help!! Do you have Brake Problems???

vgmnstr, so you got it fixed then?
  14. F

actually, disconnect the fuel filter from the engine. So it goes like this... Tanks - lift pump - fuel filter - injectors take a vinyl hose and jump the line from the fuel filter output to the return from the engine (there should be 4 lines going to the fuel filter, one from the tank, one...
  15. F

Help!! Do you have Brake Problems???

ESP is traction control with ABS, and ASR built in. You have to swap the brake controller, brake booster, and master cylinder, as well as wiring in a few extra sensors and recoding the ECU. vgmnstr, on the driver's side of the engine near the top you should notice being driven by the camshaft...
  16. F

Brakes acting very strange...........

The ABS controller, IIRC, has BOSCH printed prominently on it... not VAG. $800 is just crazy though.
  17. F

Jetta turbo suffered fatal FOD (foreign object damage)

Definitely do a compression test. Hopefully the majority of material would have been captured in the IC. Demand the entire intake system be removed at at a minimum cleaned or replaced. You could also demand that they remove the head and visually inspect the valves and cylinders, but a...
  18. F

Some of the valves are open, allowing fresh air to interact with the cylinder, right? And the tips of the injectors are in there, with diesel fuel. The diesel fuel dries out and develops a bit of a varnish sometimes. Run some injector cleaner through them (try 1/4 naptha, 1/4 xylene/acetone...
  19. F

Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!!

deathmask, the microswitch in the door is stuck open. Recommend picking up another from radioshack and replacing, will take an hour's worth of work. Yes, common problem. Oh, and after 5 minutes the lights will all turn off inside (except for the sun visor lights if you have them down...?) so...
  20. F

$9 EGR Cooler Gaskets From the Dealer?

The exhaust can get up to 1600F if you work at it on an unmodded TDI, but normally will be around 1200F when loaded. Hence, metal gaskets all the way until the EGR valve. Oh, did I say metal gaskets? Wipe them down with a paper towel and some solvent and reuse them. Oh, and speaking of...