Search results

1. M

Mk1 mTDI coupe...will 2019 be the year...

...I get this car running? Bought my '83 Jetta a few years ago and promptly pulled the 1.6na (came from the factory with a 1.6td which a po replaced) and auto tranny and swapped in a 1.9TDI from a '96 Passat along with the 5-speed trans. Never got the car running as my gf and I moved cross...
  2. M

mTDI into a MK1 Jetta coupe td

Hi everybody, Been forever since I posted here but now I'm nearing the point where I might finally get my swap running! :-) Swapped in a running TDI out of a '96 Passat into my '83 Jetta which came from the factory with a 1.6td. The TDI has been fitted with a mechanical Rover pump and about all...
  3. M

HELP! Rover 300 pump onto an AHU. HELP!

Getting ready to put this this thing together. Have the ALH pulley, and the ALH adjustable sprocket, and of course the Rover 300tdi mechanical pump they mate to. I'm still just the tiniest bit confused as how to find tdc on #1 fuel port on the pump shaft but as I understand it... - I generally...
  4. M

So just for the heck of it I tightened everything down tonight and checked the timing (or attempted to at any rate). It's all starting to come back to me now...way back when I got the 300td rover pump from England then sent along the pulley hub. I bought an ALH sprocket off of Ebay and had the...
  5. M

Don't think that will be an issue with this one. Had my machinist turn down the Rover hub slightly to fit the VW sprocket opening if memory serves me correct. Then had him remove some material from the face of the hub as well so that the sprocket would line up with the other sprockets/idlers on...
  6. M

Hey Jim, so what exactly does that mean? does it mean ... a) the sprocket won't be in the same plane as the cam sprocket, crank sprocket, and idlers, or b) since my machinist picked three random locations on the Rover hub to drill and tap holes for the three adjusting bolts, when those three...
  7. M

Think I did that already. :-)
  8. M

where would I find an ALH hub????
  9. M

As long as I can figure out what is TDC on #1 on the pump (apparently a whole bunch of disagreement here) does it matter where the pulley hub came from? That's assuming of course that the holes my machinist randomly drilled and tapped in my LR hub didn't throw the sprocket into some place where...
  10. M

And if my machined LR hub now allows proper adjustment of the ALH sprocket and carries the belt in the proper attitude why bother with a ALH hub? Unless the objective is have a hole to insert a pump lock tool in the rover pump which would be 180 degrees out? (my head hurts)
  11. M

It's all coming back to me now... :-) I think the hub was the stock rover unit that came with the pump. By the way the numbers on the side of the pump identify it as a 300tdi pump as opposed to a 200 pump according to a Rover enthusiast web site in G.B. (see pic). I think I had my machinist...
  12. M

Not to sound too freaked out, but I need to get this project going. Swapping the 1.9 AHU out of a '96 donor Passat into my '83 Jetta coupe. The engine and 5-speed trans from the Passat are all ready to go and I think I have all the bases covered with Shirocco axles, after market motor mount...
  13. M

mTDI AHU into '87 DIYDOKA ("Van-no-mo")

Just about ready to yank the 1.9 IDI turbo engine out of Vanomo and install the mTDI engine. Trans has been totally rebuilt and now the only thing holding me back is selection of a pressure plate. So should I go for the unit from a VR6 or a 1.8T? The engine will be running a Land Rover 300...
  14. M

SBC vs DC clutch!

Glad I found this thread... I'm putting the finishing touches on an mTDI swap into my '87 DIY DOKA ("Vanomo") The AHU engine was out of an '96 Passat, and now has a Land Rover mechanical 11mm pump, some Bosio 520 injectors, a stock Garret T15 turbo and I'll probably put in a water to air...
  15. M

Source for Passat turbo gasket

Help! I need the stainless sandwich gasket that lives between the exhaust manifold and the turbo on my '96 Passat TDI. It's the three hole job. I've bought two now from prothe off of Ebay. Being Chinese junk neither is right. Lesson learned! Can anyone recommend a reputable source for these...
  16. M

Which clutch to use?

Have the '96 AHU that I plan on swapping into 'Vanomo' bolted to the engine stand. The DK transaxle is back from the rebuilder and ready to go. The Rover 300tdi-m pump is ready to go as well but now I need to find out what kind of clutch to put in this beast. I'm shooting for 100-125hp with some...
  17. M

Decisions, decisions. Which vehicle to put the TDI in

Well I was already leaning towards putting the TDI in Vanomo, but I gotta say the thought of a nicely tuned TDI-m with the Rover 300tdi pump and slightly bigger injectors putting out 125hp and pushing the MK1 jetta which only weighs 2,000 lbs sounds like a lot of fun. I guess that car will have...
  18. M

Decisions, decisions. Which vehicle to put the TDI in

Finally have my donor TDI engine out of the donor car and ready to start the long swap process. My dilemma? I have an '87 DIY Doka (formerly a Vanagon) and an '83 Jetta diesel coupe. I just had the transaxle in 'Vanamo' rebuilt and fear the 1.9 td engine needs minor work done on the end of the...
  19. M

2.5tdi eurovan swap and 5speed!

I just found this thread and AM VERY INTERESTED. I just bought a '96 VW/Winnebago Rialta. For those of you who don't know it's a 21-foot mini-motorhome based on a T4 chassisl. In '95-'96 these came with a 2.5 5-cylinder gasser motor and mine routinely gets 15mpg, and with an auto trans is...
  20. M

Minimum cost to rebuild TDI

Okay, what might I expect to pay for rings, bearings, gaskets, machine shop work?