Search results

1. S

Burned #5 Top Battery Fuse to Alternator

I don't like to leave a post open, so here is where it stands. I pulled my wiring off the alternator in my truck, and and tested it for resistance. it showed 4.153 Mohms. that's a far cry from the 15 Kohms on the beetle but so be it. I hooked the wiring back up on the beetle and checked current...
  2. S

I want to add a little info. After studying a few internal schematics for alternators. the way I see it is that the only way I could be getting continuity from the stud through the alternator would be that both diodes are bad or the isolator for the stud is bad. Someone correct me if I am wrong...
  3. S

I checked the resistance from the fuse box to ground on # 5 wire (disconnected). The reading was 15k ohms. I disconnected all the wiring from the alternator and checked the resistance through the wire itself and it checked good (no reading to ground and .01 ohm through the wire. I checked the...
  4. S

Door handle clip drivers side 98 Beetle???

My drivers door stopped opening with the inside handle. I know it is the clip that holds the actuator rod. I've been googling for a while and haven't found one that I think is right. Anyone know the part number or a place that has them? As many doors as I have taken apart at the upullit, either...
  5. S

Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW

Thank you Nuje. I will take a look later this morning. I'm sure that somewhere in the checklist I'm going to find a disconnected plug. It would be strange if a component decided to fail at the same time I had the compressor and fans disconnected and manipulated to allow for r and r of the...
  6. S

Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW

I'll admit I haven't read all 67 pages of this thread, but I need some info. My manual is supposed to cover 1998 to 2008 Beetles. My wiring diagram is for a T14 FCM and the 98 is a T10. Are the wiring colors the same on the T10 and T14? How is the connector numbered for the wiring positions...
  7. S

Wiring to the AC compressor?

My manual shows 2 wires to the clutch only. One is brn/red (I suppose hot from the fcc). The other is blu/grn to ground. Did I miss anything on the diagram? I plan to run Dan's checklist after finishing my Blue Ox install today (possible wishful thinking). First thing I've got to figure out is...
  8. S

What preferred Laptop suits VCDS ?

Same here. My wife's laptop is windows 10 and I couldn't get it to work with vcds. I went on craigslist and called about a used laptop. She told me it was win 10 and i said I couldn't use it, that I was looking for xp. She had one that she thought no body would want. I got it for 25 bucks and...
  9. S

Wiring to the AC compressor?

After I removed the compressor to change the alternator, my AC fails to come on. The compressor doesn't start up. The connector is plugged in that goes to the clutch. Is there another electrical connection to the compressor? Seems to me that I unhooked a wire to the back of the compressor, but I...
  10. S

Possible parasitic draw problem....

Just to close this problem, I took the battery to Advance and had it tested. They said it needed a charge (even though I had charged it for hours the night before). They charged it and said it was good. I told them I would pick it up next day. I had them test it and it needed a charge. Bad...
  11. S

It's my 98 Beetle from my signature. At the time of starting this I wasn't sure that the higher reading was an expected reading. If I had a clamp meter, I'm sure that the higher reading would not exist.
  12. S

The TSB only pertains if there is a parasitic drain. Also that method of testing for amperage draw is recommended against in TSBs from Ford and GM because it misses some systems that use encased fuses and also doesn't catch intermittent amperage draws.
  13. S

That's the plan. I had it checked a couple weeks ago and it checked good. That was right after I drove across town so it was fresh and hot. It is actually best to test a cold battery for a good test.
  14. S

My battery is a little less than 2 years old. I bought it to replace a battery of unknown age that was doing the same thing. That is why I assumed that it was a parasitic draw from the alarm system. I am pretty sure that there is no parasitic draw. That high reading when I touch the leads must...
  15. S

First thing I checked was all the connections. All good. Until now, the battery was discharging after sitting for 4 or 5 days. Here recently, my charger started recharging it in only a couple hours as opposed to all afternoon previously. That to me means that the battery is getting really weak...
  16. S

My battery was not starting the beetle after sitting 3 or 4 days. I took the battery to Advance Auto and they said it was fine except for being a little low on charge (that's a few minutes after driving clean across the city with a good alternator). Here's where I'm at. The alternator is...
  17. S

Fuel leak on VE ????

Thanks BYM. Good info to know.
  18. S

Fuel leak on VE ????

Problem solved. I removed the plug and changed the o-ring 129. Thanks to everyone for the info. BYM, can you elaborate on what you are referring to. I don't see anything like a knife edge, only a regular screw in plug. Also the socket set I ordered was the correct special socket for the plug.
  19. S

Fuel leak on VE ????

I pulled the lines and looked at the plug today. Hard to tell anything once I reach that point. The fuel I see is built up around the #4 injector line at the head. I took the sealing washer from the kit and changed the washer. Put everything back together and still had the same leak. I decided...
  20. S

Fuel leak on VE ????

Thank you for your reply. Can you ID the plug on this pic. Also if it is item 130, can ring 129 be replaced on the car or does the pump need to be pulled? Thanks.