Search results

1. A

Alternator not working

Found a used bosch 120amp alternator for 40 bucks close to me. Going to pick it up tomorrow and put the new voltage regulator on there. Hoping that lasts me a while.
  2. A

Alternator not working

One of the slip rings is worn down into a groove. The old brushes still make contact and have some spring tension left. Slip rings have continuity between themselves (3.5 ohms of resistance). The diode measured around 490 from case to positive outlet and no continuity other way around. Uploaded...
  3. A

Alternator not working

Yes, bosch 120amp alternator. Sorry. Thanks for the advice, I will check those things. I'm using the basic HF 7 function multimeter but I think it can test diodes.
  4. A

Alternator not working

So the battery light came on in the car. Checked voltage and the alternator wasn't charging. I took it off the car and took it to autozone to get it tested. I wanted to see if it was a problem with the alternator or with some other part of the charging system. The alternator failed the test...
  5. A

96 Passat wont start all of a sudden

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to finish it off in case anyone else was searching for the same issue. It was an issue with the ground to the transmission. I replaced the ground cable and it worked great for a while. Then the car stopped starting again, this time no crank. AGAIN the...
  6. A

Crap then I think I did burn it out. Was running great then it died all of a sudden. Now if I turn the key relay 109 starts clicking like mad and car wont turn on. I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff, I need to do more research. This is so weird! I understand that the solenoid wire...
  7. A

Alright so I took the plunger out and the car wouldn't crank. I figured the plunger was what grounded the wire so I connected the little wire on top of the solenoid to ground and she started! Starts runs turns off exactly like it should now.
  8. A

I cracked the fuel lines to be sure and there is no fuel. Whenever I supply voltage to the fuel solenoid wire the car refuses to crank. If I apply voltage while someone is cranking it, it stops. I'm gonna remove the plunger from the fuel solenoid just to see if it will start the car.
  9. A

The B4 doesn't have an electric fuel pump right? It has a mechanical injection pump driven by the engine? My problem is no fuel, so the issue must be something electrical stopping the fuel from getting to the engine? I did try jumping the stop fuel solenoid but that didn't help.
  10. A

My car stopped working after parking overnight. The check engine light and glow plug light do not come on. When I added fuel (starting fluid) it was starting. I have replaced ignition switch and relay 109(2 different ones). I have also tried a replacement ecu. I have cleaned any grounds that I...
  11. A

This is a bit beyond me but I'm trying to learn. I was hoping by testing the voltage on the plug I could see which wire was not getting power then I could trace it back and see if there is a short, or some other issue. If they are all not supposed to have power with the ECU out, is there a way...
  12. A

A lot of pins were getting .003 volts and some were getting 11 something volts. Many others less. Are they all supposed to get 12v?
  13. A

Hey guys its been over a year and the car has just been sitting. I decided to try to do something about it. I took a multimeter set it to the 2v DC position. Then I put the black pin to ground and the red pin into the ECU connector (ECU was out). A lot of the pins were getting .003 volts, is...
  14. A

Delete

Following this thread too as I've got a no start due to fuel issues cuz of ecu not getting power. Also have aftermarket stereo.
  15. A

Engine died, ecu not communicating with vag-com

Hate to bring up an old thread but how did you bypass it exactly?
  16. A

This is what my cable looks like along with the ground. Main ground looks pretty shiny. Also pics of the ECU. Will clean aggressively and reinstall and see what happens tomorrow.
  17. A

I'll try cleaning the grounds and I'll see what happens. I'll have someone crank the car for me and I'll record to show you guys the fuel solenoid clicking on and off. Is there a way to temporarily make a ground with jumper cables? If I were to put the cables on the negative terminal to the...
  18. A

It did not work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkWzIEiofG0
  19. A

Here is video of the dash and me cranking the car
  20. A

I'm still trying to get this car running. Put in a new battery but the vagcom thing I had stopped working. These were the old codes. I have tried two different relay 109s. IS this thing supposed to click when you turn the key? It feels like nothing is happening to it, like it's not getting...