Search results

1. AlexNJ

GSW/Alltrack 1.8T TSI EA888 - Prospective Buyer Discussion Thread

Now that I've sold back my 2015 Golf TDI to VW, I've had more time in my 2017 Alltrack. Of all the differences, it's the behavior of the DSG that really impresses me. It took me a little while to learn the quirks of the 2015 TDI's DSG but even after two years, its behavior in stop and go traffic...
  2. AlexNJ

Who's keeping, who's selling?

This forum has been a fantastic resource for the two years I owned my 2015 Golf TDI, my first VW and first diesel car. I absolutely loved it, especially during the first year when I had a job that required a lot of highway commuting. But in the past year, coinciding with dieselgate, I...
  3. AlexNJ

If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

As of last week, I'm finally done with the whole dieselgate situation. As much as l loved my 2015 Golf TDI, the buyback was too good to pass up. My commute had become a mere five miles to work in the past year so the TDI wasn't as compelling as it had been when I used to drive long distances on...
  4. AlexNJ

Buyback COMPLETED Car is now in Dealership Lot

I turned my '15 Golf in yesterday at the dealership where I had bought a mere two years ago. The process went smoothly, although the guy handling my turn-in messed up when it came time to print a receipt, which I had gotten immediately in an email so that was no big deal. He did photograph the...
  5. AlexNJ

My commute has also gotten much shorter in the past year (down to five miles each way), making the fuel economy reduction much less painful. The larger tank in the Alltrack helps a little. I took a short ride this morning and appreciated another difference: the TSI warms up much faster than the...
  6. AlexNJ

I picked up my Alltrack SEL, replacing my 2015 Golf TDI, only last week but haven't driven it much yet so it's a bit early to say. But initial impressions, briefly, are: It feels more planted and firm, which isn't surprising given the weight distribution thanks to the AWD system. After a...
  7. AlexNJ

Response from VW today

I got the same email yesterday. Interesting timing, coming as it does between the hearing this week and the judge's ruling next week. Now to decide whether to drive my 2015 TDI through the winter months and look for something new when maybe there's more negotiating room on 2017 cars in the...
  8. AlexNJ

In many respects, the TDI is a unique set of vehicles whose combination of price, performance and fuel economy are hard to replicate. In any event, at least speaking for myself, the buyback option gives me an opportunity to consider cars that fit my driving needs better than the TDI does now...
  9. AlexNJ

I understand that. But with a commute of a mere four miles, often only four days a week, does it make much of a difference? It doesn't.
  10. AlexNJ

Our situations are indeed very similar! Just yesterday, I had to drive through stop and go traffic past my university campus and averaged about 30 mpg in the TDI. Pathetic. A GTI wouldn't be much worse in such a situation while offering more fun when driving conditions are better. If I do go for...
  11. AlexNJ

Who's keeping, who's selling?

I love my 2015 TDI but my commute has gotten a lot shorter, about four miles to work now, than it was when I bought it in the fall of 2014. At the time, I was on the fence between the TDI and the GTI and with a shorter commute now, maybe selling it back will be an opportunity to get into a car...
  12. AlexNJ

What did you do to your MK7 today?

While I'm not sure whether I'll keep my 2015 TDI or sell it back to VW, I enjoy this car too much not to give it a thorough cleaning and waxing when it's due. It's looking showroom-new after a few hours spent on it:
  13. AlexNJ

My 2015 Golf TDI with the DSG transmission is my first VW and my first diesel car. I had fallen in love with a Golf TSI with Blue Motion (I wish VW offered BM here) I had driven in England but opted for the TDI because my highway commute could benefit from the fuel economy. Little did I expect...
  14. AlexNJ

Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

That's definitely worth a shot. I hadn't even thought of trying. Thanks for the idea! Any way to recover some of my upfront expenses in this mess will make it sting a little less.
  15. AlexNJ

Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

One thing I haven't seen addressed and which I fear will simply be a loss is what happens with extended warranties. I had purchased on at the time I bought my 2015 TDI in October 2014 so there's quite a bit of life left in it. I suppose if I take the buy-back, that's just gone.
  16. AlexNJ

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

All things I've been doing and, when they all come together, yield quite an improvement in MPG. While I can't control the weather, I can certainly control how I drive and, by so doing, have been able to get better fuel economy. This in Central New Jersey, land of perpetual bad traffic and thus a...
  17. AlexNJ

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Actually, I was thinking of this, the Golf GTE. Of course, we likely won't get it in the US and I do have to wonder if I'd take a chance on another VW after this debacle. But it's an intriguing vehicle for those looking for fuel economy in a hybrid.
  18. AlexNJ

I feel exactly the same way. Prompted by some of the posts here, I've been doing a little looking around online to see what vehicles are out on the market that I'd consider were I in the market again. At the price point I can afford, I just don't see anything that matches the combination of fuel...
  19. AlexNJ

Same here, to judge from my experience with an Accord and then the RAV4. Let's just say that my experience with the RAV4 reminded me that no car (or auto maker) is perfect. I figured if there's no guarantee of trouble-free ownership, I might as well have a car that's fun to drive while still...
  20. AlexNJ

It was a 2006 I-4 auto AWD Limited, the first year in that iteration of the RAV4 when Toyota significantly increased its size from the previous generation. It was very practical but, like I said, boring to drive. The oil consumption problem turned out to be common with that model so I'd hope...