Search results

1. T

So long TDI, at the end of the day, I have only one real complaint....

The huge buyback amount should have been enough. It was for me. Sure more money off a new VW would be better. Who doesn't like free money?
  2. T

If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

I strongly considered it, but too much of a drop in MPG for me and too much more $. Lack of spare tire also bugs me on a DD. Just bought a 2.8k mile 2017 GTI autobahn with driver assistance package for $26250. Submitted paperwork, got approval for buyback at 25.9k on my 75k mile TDI SEL w/...
  3. T

2015 Golf TDI long crank first start of the day

Mine hasn't had the fix and it does this sometimes. I don't mind really, only takes 1-2 seconds longer to start and its not like I had to press the button any longer. Now if it is an issue that gets worse or is a symptom of a larger problem, that would be of note to me.
  4. T

how does computer measure fuel consumption?

My best tank was at 62k miles. 12.775 gallons - 747 miles @ 58.5 mpg. I usually fill up around 600 miles. I suspect it measures amount of fuel commanded vs. the speed. Definitely reads optimistically.
  5. T

What actually resets the "Since refuel" MFD?

I have left mine running during fillups and it resets usually before I get out of the station lot or sometimes just after I'm on the road. Or at least that's my recollection. I usually keep my radio display on the screen that shows mpg since refuel.
  6. T

Malone Tuning - Stage 0.5 Tune for 2015 Golf/Jetta/Passat

I agree the warranty should be easy to redeem on stock vehicles. Regarding this quote, I read the last line to say that the car will have to be reverted back to stock before VW does there thing.
  7. T

TDI vs TSI, what to buy?

I would love a Polo. All of your safety precautions are great, I do most if not all of them as well. Nothing says you can't do that in a newer car. I drive 30-50k miles per year across all my vehicles. I'm not a worry wart, but given a choice, I'd rather be in a MK7 than a MK2 in any...
  8. T

TDI vs TSI, what to buy?

Being an awesome driver (which I'm sure we both are) only reduces chance of death in a car. You can drive anything you want. Around 300 people will die in cars today in America. I'm trying real hard not to be one of them.
  9. T

TDI vs TSI, what to buy?

And my least favorite charateristic: easy to die in. New cars are WAY safer than designs from the 70's.
  10. T

Canceled my Tesla Model 3. Got the Mk7 TDI instead.

My imagination isn't large enough to see how these cars are remotely in the same market. I've had a reservation on a Model 3 since the first day it opened up. However, the TDI shines at long highway drives. No current or soon to be production electric does that. Love the TDI for all the things...
  11. T

How much fuel in tank once fuel light comes on?

My best mpg fill up was 12.775 over 747 miles. Car had 61k at the time. Most I ever put in was 13.228 gallons. Reviewing my fuelly logs, seems mostly 10.5 -12.5 gallons at fill up time. Definitely don't want to run below 0 as a habit, but I wouldn't think twice about driving 75 miles past 0...
  12. T

Not getting the emissions fix?

Calculating fuel economy takes about 10 - 30 seconds per fill up using fuelly app on my phone. It's not that hard to get a pretty good average. I track all my vehicles. Almost 70k miles since new and averaging over 48 mpg. My display reads high by a few points. Personally it's buy back or...
  13. T

Manual shifting question

Generally referred to as the 'money shift' for obvious reasons.
  14. T

Braking or upshifting question

I'll let mine rev to 4k and use brakes to keep it under that when going downhill. 4K being pushed my the car isn't the same loading as 4k full throttle accelerating. Typically 3500 is more common than 4k for me. We have hills but not mountains around here. The oil should still be circulating...
  15. T

Updated media interface cable

When I bought my car the salesman found a green MDI cable for the new lightning connector. Never worked with any case I owned. I gave up and just used BT. Sounds great on my car. Use a regular cig adapter to USB for charging phone and my S5 running Torque app. Some things I have learned...
  16. T

Manual shifting question

I have shifted many times from 3rd and 4th to 6th. Pretty sure I've went to 6th from 2nd after running up the RPM's to 4500 or so. My problem is that some of my cars have reverse on top left and others I own now or in the past were bottom right. But to the OP, each car feels different...
  17. T

Xenon/led Sel lighting package

Almost 70k miles and work perfectly. No issues to report other than they are set to high from the factory. Easy screwdriver adjustment to lower them. Yes they autolevel when you turn them on (or they turn on automatically).
  18. T

EPA Permits Sale of Inventoried TDIs

I was hoping to upgrade from my 2015 to a 2016 for the better radio and driver safety features. Of course if if I could swap my '15 with 65K miles for a 0 mile '15 at almost no cost, I might be willing to do that as well. Either way, I love the one I have now. Here's to hoping great deals...
  19. T

RIP: [warning: crushed car pics]

Seems the value of the parts will fall dramatically. Market forces, the number who could need or use the part falling fast (buybacks), availability of used spares would increase dramatically (bought back parts) = low pricing.