Search results

1. S

Stripped the crank pulley bolts, options?

Get a 12mm 12 point socket (99% sure it's a 12mm) and hammer it on the bolt head. This has got me out of a jam a couple of times because I usually make the mistake of using air tools on these bolts. Pull the lock carrier to allow enough room.
  2. S

2004 Beetle Convertible TDI conversion

Congratulations on the successful swap, greentdi, this is a cool one! I wonder what changes had to be made besides engine wiring, fuel delivery, exhaust etc., specifically regarding comfort module functions. I am in a great position to make this swap with two fully functioning Beetles and you...
  3. S

How many miles on your B5.5?

2005 sedan 159k 5-speed manual @155 Original cam and BSM
  4. S

Possible cause of loud engine droning

If the noise is loudest from the intake (louder after removing top half of air cleaner housing) the camshaft may have a worn lobe.
  5. S

Dsg guru????

Mechatronics or clutch pack replacement is not an uncommon service at a dealership or independent shop well versed in late model VW and Audi cars, these are not as involved as any sort of transmission rebuild. Calibration can be done by anyone with VCDS.
  6. S

Brake light issue on 2003 beetle

Make sure you have dual filament bulbs installed and not single.
  7. S

3 Year Free Maintenance - Worth it?

I believe the 3 year 30k "Carefree maintenance" program was cut down to 2 years 20k with the model year 2014.
  8. S

PD Injector Bore Wear...

Thank you, Jetaah. I forgot to even mention the soot in the fuel system, this car had it. I have seen it in other VE, PD cars without symptom so I'm not sure what to think about it. As for the "rock", I want to hear more from others, as well...
  9. S

PD Injector Bore Wear...

I had to dig up this old thread because it was difficult to find any information about this failure. Does anyone have any further input as to the cause of injector bores wearing out? I have seen this first-hand with the symptom of MAF sensor fault and misfire when warmed up on a BHW. The...
  10. S

roof trim adhesive

An old Tech Tip advised to use 3M "Window-Weld", the urethane adhesive used to install front windshields and fixed window glass. The stuff is messy if you get it in the wrong place but those rails would never come loose again. Whatever adhesive you use the channel and rail should be cleaned of...
  11. S

Replacing Glow Plug Connectors / Wires

It is recommended that all glow plugs be replaced at the same time, but be sure you are replacing the right glow plug. The cylinder assignment is backwards so a fault for cylinder 1 glow plug is really cylinder 4, closest to the firewall.
  12. S

Replacing Glow Plug Connectors / Wires

The repair wire 028 971 782 A has a spade connector on one end, but the factory harness is a long, solid wire straight to the GP module. A proper butt-connector or solder repair is required to replace the glow plug connector. Glow plug circuit faults before and after steel glow plug upgrade...
  13. S

how hard is it to replace a thermostat on an 04 passat

The thermostat housing has two tabs that hold that t-stat and seal for installation. These tabs often break off when removing the housing because an old thermostat will be wedged in the block by the old, squished o-ring. If these tabs were not accounted for by the mechanic replacing the...
  14. S

Window clips?

The O.P. did not specify front or rear door window. The window pin only applies to the rear door window regulator. If the regulator will only move a few inches with a crunching sound at all points of movement the regulator has failed, front or rear. If the regulator moves freely but the glass...
  15. S

2004 Passat Wagon Purchase Consideration

A mass air flow SENSOR fault is typically the first fault that comes up if a camshaft lobe has worn excessively. If the fault is accompanied by a loud "droning" exhaust noise through the intake (cold air ducting at upper radiator grill or air cleaner housing) the camshaft is likely worn.
  16. S

Recommendation for wheel bearing replacement

Wheel bearings CAN be damaged in a collision, however, the parts that actually locate the wheels are much more likely to cause a "wobble". The steering knuckles and rear axle need to be inspected visually and checked with an alignment machine.
  17. S

Hot Seat!

The recall (if memory serves) applied a redundant power and ground to the heater grid and nothing was replaced if the heater was not burned. If your hot spot is localized to a coin sized area on the bolster, the heater might be defective.
  18. S

Passat Seat Removal

You are correct, the B5 Passat seats are removed just like the A4 VW's.
  19. S

MORE manual swap questions...

Thanks for looking up that part number, QuickTD, that is really not a HORRIBLE price for an oem part. I may actually pick one up but the vinyl boots don't last as long as leather and a plastic shift knob does not sound appealing... The best option that I have come up with in my searches is this...
  20. S

MORE manual swap questions...

Cool. I might take $100 for mine as it is simply sitting in my driveway. It may also be serviceable because the trans was not totally grenaded. The dark grey "Anthracite" interior was only available in '04-'05 cars and very few came with manual transmissions. New ones are not cheap, and if I...