Search results

1. austi012

Is my boost gauge wack?

Hi, I put a boost gauge in my car (2000 Beetle TDi). Most of the time, it's sitting at or near 0, sometimes making a little buzz as though it's actually trying to draw vacuum. But when I mash the accelerator, I see the boost spike as high as 22 psi. Is that normal? Can the car really be...
  2. austi012

New nozzles coming from Kerma... any tricks to the install?

Hey y'all, I have rebuilt injectors incoming right now from KermaTDI, DLC1019 nozzles and flow balanced. These were 'spare' injectors off eBay, so I haven't actually taken my old ones out yet. Any tricks I should be aware of? I have a slide hammer for the injector removal... I put some PB...
  3. austi012

Oval holes through firewall above driver's side letting in water to ECU compartment

Hey, I was routing a boost line through the firewall, I was going to use the tried and true route through the wiring plugs... I took the top dash panels off, and looked down in when I saw daylight. And illumined by the daylight, water. There's several oval holes in the firewall, kind of...
  4. austi012

What tells each diesel injector to actuate/inject?

Hi, I was examining the injectors on my car and was struck by the fact that only one of them (number 3) has any sort of electrical connection at all. On a gasoline injector, of course, each injector is separately controlled and the needle is opened and closed by an electromagnetic pulse in...
  5. austi012

Can anybody recommend an injector puller that works with ALH's?

Can anybody recommend an injector puller that works with ALH's? There's sets on eBay with slide hammers, etc., that look good but I don't know which one would be compatible with the injectors on our cars. Thanks,
  6. austi012

ALH -- nozzles differnt between automatics and manuals, but are injectors the same?

Hi, I know on the ALH engines, the injector nozzles are smaller on the automatics than the manual transmission cars. But are the injectors themselves the same part? r are the automatic car injector bodies set up to flow differently? Wondering if I can use a set of automatic injectors on my...
  7. austi012

Are there any how-to's on how to rebuild injectors?

Title says it all. I'm thinking about buying a set of used injectors, cleaning them up, and installing new nozzles, just so I'll be able to swap a set in my car and have the originals as a back-up. thanks,
  8. austi012

ECU swap: will this work?

Hi. I have a 2000 Beetle TDi. It uses ECU 038 906 012 N. I have 2 keys that are programmed to work with the immobilizer. I bought a Euro-spec ECU on eBay: 038 906 012 L . Can I plug in 038 906 012 L and use the keys that are coded to the immobilizer and have everything work, since the...
  9. austi012

Blue smoke at WOT when cold, 2000 beetle ALH.

Blue smoke at WOT when cold, 2000 beetle ALH. UPDATE: FIXED. Hi, I searched but did not find anything that seems to fit. Help requested. 2000 Beetle with ALH, stock engine, stock computer. Intake was cleaned last summer. Timing belt replaced. Oil changed recently. Fuel filter replaced too...
  10. austi012

Does anybody sell a vacuum hose kit?Check Engine Light: 17964 Charge Pressure Control

Hi, My car is suddenly sluggish and the code I'm getting is Check Engine Light: 17964 Charge Pressure Control. I looked at the vacuum hoses and they're pretty ratty, I suspect they're the originals on a 2000 model year car. I'd just as soon swap them all out in one go, does anybody sell a kit...
  11. austi012

Weight saving: removing back seat from Beetle. Numbers.

Weight saving: removing back seat from Beetle. Numbers. Now with pics of mod. So after considering what I actually use this car for, I decided taking out the back seat wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm not hauling children and I'd like to move something larger than a breadbox once in awhile...
  12. austi012

Clean intake... WOW, what a difference!

Just got the Maggiolino back from the mech... Intake all clean... the car is totally different! Smooth power all the way up to 4000 rpm (used to fall off abruptly at 3200), pulls hard all the way up. No bucking on deceleration, just glides into deceleration mode. I was pulling hard through a...
  13. austi012

Best .205 injectors?

Hey, I'm going to uprate my 2000 Beetle to 110 HP. I just ordered a European ECU, the 038 906 012 L, which I believe should plug right in (will need to tussle with immobilizer, but that should be it). I see a lot of sources for .205 injectors. Any to stay away from? Which ones are at the...
  14. austi012

Having done one, I can say: Mufflerectomies are nonsense

Hi, Mufflerectomy today. The surgery was successful, the patient is well. I put stainless steel straight pipe and a 12" stainless steel resonator on in place of the stock muffler, and a SS tip that angles down to throw my exhaust on the pavement where it belongs. The car is scarcely louder...
  15. austi012

What tool do I need to be able to program codes on the ECU?

Hi, I want to be able to set some values, as (for example) in the case when one swaps to larger diesel injectors and needs to adjust the EGR values to compensate. I thought the RossTech tool could do it and was about to order it up but they told me via email it could not -- it's only a reader...
  16. austi012

Where's the best place to tap power for gauges?

Hey, I need 12V+, 12V+_ switched, Ground, and Illuminated 12v+. Where's the best place to tap in on a 2000 Beetle? thanks,
  17. austi012

What is the weird sensor wire on the driver's side suspension right behind the wheel

Hi, I got my brakes done all around last week, and swapped in new wheels yesterday. When I pulled the driver's side front wheel, I found a chromed tin plate screwed to the front suspension, with some kind of weird wire/sensor attached to it. There isn't one on the passenger side. What is...
  18. austi012

How much does the rear muffler on a Beetle TDI weigh?

Hi, How much does the rear muffler on a Beetle TDI weigh? Considering deleting it and replacing it with something lighter if there's gains to be had. Thanks, Thaddeus
  19. austi012

Anyplace I can buy a kit to swap out the intake manifold?

Hi, I believe my last chore before I can consider my Beetle's maintenance complete and caught up is to clean (or swap out) the intake manifold. I gather I need replacement gaskets, clamps, bolts, as well as an intake itself since I would like to avoid 2 hours of filthy work. Anyplace I can but...
  20. austi012

Weight saving: compact spare available to replace full size spare tire?

Title says it all... my 2000 Beetle Diesel has a full size spare, which ordinarily would delight me. BUT My car has 90 HP. So saving weight is a good thing. Is there a compact spare available? A casual search on fleabay turned up nothing. Is there an equivalent from some other model (or...