Search results

1. E

Source of white/gray smoke?

I'm chasing after a smoke issue with my AHU swap project. I get a good puff of white/gray smoke on startup that settles down to just slightly visible smoke at idle. It just gets worse at anything past idle. At 3k its putting out quite a cloud of smoke. It looks more white than gray to me and the...
  2. E

When/where is the iat sensor used in the alh?

I'm wondering if the iat sensor is used in a maf based tune on a alh at all? The only reference to it I can find in the ecu file is a linearization map. Would anything happen if it only saw ambient temperature? I have a gm 3 bar map sensor I'd like to use and I'd prefer to not have to buy a...
  3. E

Question about Nozzles, HP, and RPM

So I have a question about how increasing the rpm while having the same size nozzles effects the hp. I understand that the nozzle size is the limiting factor on how much fuel in injected each cycle but how much does the rpm factor in? Say that someone has a car with stock nozzles. The best...
  4. E

Question about surge limits/lines

So I have a question about how seriously I should take the surge line on compressor maps. It seems that everyone running a largish vnt would be running either right on the edge of surge or outside the surge line if the boost/rpm numbers reported are correct. Are the surge limits just...
  5. E

Manual glow plugs or ECU controlled?

I'm finishing up the last few bits of wiring on my truck and I'm trying to decide what to do with the glow plugs. Should I run them manually or let the ecu control them? I tend to lean towards manual control of stuff so I guess really what I'm asking is are there any real reasons to have the...
  6. E

Trick to removing balancer/pulley to do timing belt?

Im in the middle of doing a timing belt on my ahu engine and for the life of me I cant pull the balancer. Its pretty corroded on. I've tried beating with a dead blow along with penetrating oil but no luck. I resorted to heating it with the torch. Heated it as much as I dare with it right by the...
  7. E

Making a stock AHU survive

Making a stock AHU survive 30-35psi This might be a bit premature seeing as how I'm probably a good 2-3 months from this being a reality, but hey I like to plan. I have a stock AHU block with 300k km on it that I'm using in a swap. I also have a vnt-15 and a td04-13 that I'll be throwing on...
  8. E

97 4wd Ranger AHU swap

Since I finally have made some proper progress on my swap I figured that I should probably start a build thread. The project itself is a bit over 3 years in the making. I bought a really nasty 99 mk3, yanked the engine and tossed the car asap before it could infect anyone. I didn't really do...
  9. E

AHU grounds

Is there a functional difference between the ground and sensor grounds in the AHU harness? Will anything care if I just stick all the grounds together in the harness? I cant find any reason why not to in the wiring diagram.
  10. E

Immobilizer question

Simple question, Will a ALH start without a cluster and without an immobilizer delete? I don't care if it runs for more than a second, I just want to be able to start stripping and prepping the harness before sending the ecu off for a immob delete. I'm 90% sure it will but I dont want to be...
  11. E

Identifying a Chinese vnt15?

How would I go about confirming that the turbo I have is a genuine garret and not a chinese copy? I dont know the history of the turbo, just that its newish. I dont have a plate on mine just a stamping
  12. E

Ahu standalone harnes options

I started to go through my wiring harness from an ahu to prep it for standalone operation and feel like I'm getting no where with thinning out the rats nest. How bad of an idea would it be to just snip the required connectors and build a scratch harness using the ECU pinout? I know its been done...
  13. E

Serpentine belt stuck

When I was driving home last night I stared to hear a "pap pap pap" noise that coincided with the engine speed. It didn't sound too bad and I thought it was probably just an exhaust leak so just continued driving home. When I got home I put the clutch in to reverse in and the engine stumbled and...
  14. E

Quick question: HFLOX

I did a quick search and didn't find any recent threads about the HFLOX nozzles. Obviously they've been around for a few years now and Darkside stocks them so is it safe to assume that the initial concerns about them being cheap knockoffs/garbage are unfounded?
  15. E

TD04-13G on a AHU

I snagged a Mitsubishi TD04-13G for a song without really looking at the map. I just kinda looked at it and thought "Hey, that's bigger than mine!". After looking at the map though I'm thinking it may not play too nicely. Would any one with more experience than me have any thoughts on how well...
  16. E

Ticking noise after cleaning intake

So I just cleaned out my intake and now I have a new ticking noise. I removed the intake to clean it, reassembled, started it sounded fine and took it for a spin. About 100 feet down the road I let off the accelerator and it stumbled then died. Took about 10 seconds of cranking to get it to fire...
  17. E

99 AHU Jetta wiring diagram

I didn't see a specific electronics sub forum so I figured that I might as well post this question here since it is related to my swap. I have a 99 Jetta with a AHU and just wanted to make sure I use the right wiring diagram. I need to use the B4 Passat wiring diagram right...