Search results

1. 454k30

A Noise, A Thump, A Battery Light

Over the last couple of weeks I'd noticed a peculiar sound emanating from under the hood. It was a cyclic sound that a bit of a ratchet like quality to it. With the engine running, I was able to best guess that the sound was coming from the area of the alternator. Initially I feared that I...
  2. 454k30

eBay SMIC installed.

So I won’t make another how-to post. There are plenty already for how to install an SMIC. I just wanted to show you the physical differences between stock and eBay and give you my impressions. purchased this off of eBay for $78. Install took a couple of hours. Pros: despite being cheap, it...
  3. 454k30

Oil Smoke When Warm - ALH Valve Seal Replacement

A few months ago I started noticing puffs of smoke coming from the tailpipe whenever I pulled away from a stop. It only happened after the engine had begun to warm up, but it did happen at every stop sign, traffic light, and in stop and go traffic. Because it only happened once the engine had...
  4. 454k30

Xman GT1752 Turbo

Back in June I installed a GT1752v turbo which I sourced from XMan Turbos in the UK. XMan calls this turbo a VNT 17/26 and claims that it is a hybrid turbo that uses the VNT-17 turbine and a custom 52mm compressor. This is also one of the turbos XMan sells that is a direct fit to the ALH...
  5. 454k30

WTB: ALH EGR cooler and pipes

Moving to California and need to restore the EGR cooler to this ALH engine. I need the whole setup so the cooler, the upper and lower pipes, and the coolant hoses. Even better if you are within a reasonable distance of the Seattle area, but I am willing to pay shipping if needed.
  6. 454k30

Parasitic Drain Culprit Found! Hint... It was the glowplug relay

Came back to the Seattle area after spending a couple of weeks in Hawaii. Now that the humble brag is over I'll tell the rest of the story. The next day following my return, I went out to the Jetta only to find that the battery was completely dead. I checked all the usual suspects like the...
  7. 454k30

PP764 Nozzles Installed

I took advantage of the hot-swap option through ID Parts and purchased their PP764 option. These are reman injectors loaded and calibrated by a Bosch service center. Installation was straight forward as injectors go with no surprises. First impressions: Starts seem easier. Idle is...
  8. 454k30

2nd Timing Belt Done!

Last weekend I was able to accomplish the timing belt job for the second time. Previously I did the change at 80k miles using the 100k parts. I was pleased to see that the timing belt itself was in great shape as were most of the rollers and the tensioner. The one suspicious part was the big...
  9. 454k30

WTB: Bosal/Oris/Westfalia MKIV hitch

As the title implies, I am searching for a new or used swan neck hitch for my MKIV jetta. I'm located in Everett, WA but I am of course willing to pay for shipping should we reach an agreed upon price.
  10. 454k30

Lifter dead at 134k

My signature line. Always spec oil, no exceptions. During our cross country drive I noticed what felt like a stumble as I was driving. The stumble became much more frequent and pronounced as time went by. Power was way down and white smoke was billowing out of the tailpipe. Had the car towed to...
  11. 454k30

Clutch is done!

I decided to dedicate my Friday to an R&R of my stock clutch. After much deliberation and forum mining I had settled on a southbend Stage 2 Daily clutch kit with a 21 lbs flywheel. I am fortunate enough to have access to a Honda outboard engine repair facility, so having tools, including air...
  12. 454k30

Malone 1.5 first impressions

For those that don't know I have been running some .216 nozzles for about 5 years. This weekend I finally added a tune to the mix. The first thing I noticed is that my EGT keeps a lot lower than before. This is no doubt due to the extra air coming from the turbo. Stock at WOT my boost would...
  13. 454k30

Malone 3.0, which clutch?

Going to go with their 3.0. I have .216 nozzles, egr is deleted, clutch is stock. I need this car to still be 100% street driven by a non-tuner so it needs to be a clutch that feels stock. What do you think?
  14. 454k30

Pax River

Hey all, My wife and I got here a couple of months ago and are finally getting settled in. I'm Navy and I have seen a couple TDI Club license plate surrounds running around town. I have a blue Jetta with a factory ski rack. See you around!
  15. 454k30

Washington to Washington

It is time to embark on another military change of station. This time we are heading all the way from Whidbey Island, WA to Pax River, MD. We have stops planned for Boise, Grand Junction, Woodland Park, Omaha, Chilton, and Cleveland. We will be taking lots of photos and try to keep everyone...
  16. 454k30

OEM Rack/Yakima Box

I did a lot of digging around to find out what would and would not work for this project. Mostly I wanted to find pictures that showed just how big these boxes were on top of a small car like a jetta. So here are the results. This a set of OEM base bars with a Yakima Skybox 12 clamped to it...
  17. 454k30

Antenna base done!

Replaced the original antenna base on my 02 jetta last night. The OE base was completely corroded causing an almost complete loss of AM reception. If you go to attempt this be gently with your head liner. The less of it you pull down the easier it is to put back together.
  18. 454k30

ALH EGR parts wanted

Looking for EGR cooler and hoses to re-install EGR in my 2002.
  19. 454k30

Replaced a glow plug

Changed out a glow plug today. I had a CEL, hooked up the VCDS and came up with a Cyl #3 glow plug low voltage. I metered out all four glow plugs and sure enough found a bad plug. Odd thing is that it was the number two cylinder that had the bad plug. I think maybe the glow plugs are...
  20. 454k30

EGT gauge flux

I know a lot of you who prowl this board have added an EGT gauge to your TDI. I have SW gauge with an MCA probe. This set up has given good service for about two years; now I have an intermittent flux. Sometimes the indication is just fine but every now and then I am getting a needle that...