Search results

1. M

My 700 Mile Trip for a Great Cause

I have been struggling with my 13 TDI, really disappointed that the mileage is so bad compared to my 98 NB TDI. While I never got below 40 mpg last century; a car that is 15 years newer doesn't seem to be able to break that mark when it should be much better. But enough about that rant :D This...
  2. M

700 Mile club Who's in?

I joined the 600 & 700 mile club this weekend after 16K miles. With the beetle 14.5 gallon tank, it isn't real easy. I have been struggling to even hit 600 miles with mixed driving. This weekend I took a 1000 mile trip to shave my head for a 5 year old cancer patient in Pensacola. During...
  3. M

32 MPG out of 2013 DSG?

I have been disappointed in my 2013 too, but it isn't that bad. I learned years ago that speed really affects MPG with my 98 NB TDI. But my 2013 which is 15 years newer hasn't came close to my old 98 :confused: I believe my driving is more conservative today than it was in the past, and m...
  4. M

Shaving my Head for Carolyn 5yo Cancer Patient - 16 days and counting

Ok, I get it, this is not a TDI event. But I have been a member here forever and know this is a great cause. It is a little TDI related, as Katie who inspired me to take this path was lost in my 98 TDI on Christmas day, 1999 and is still listed on this site as the first Lost but not forgotten...
  5. M

price of biodiesel vs diesel

The local Murphy Gas stations (Wal-Mart) have started carrying B20 here in central Florida the last few months. The price is the same as standard diesel in Florida about 50 cents higher than regular gas. Currently around $3.90.
  6. M

Murphy USA selling B5-B20

I noticed the BioDiesel sticker on my Walmart/Murphy stations in the area this last month. I have filled up twice and noticed no difference in mileage. The sticker wasn't specific on percentage and I asked the attendant who was clueless. I then sent 2 emails to Murphy USA and got prompt...
  7. M

Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

It depends, miles from home to place of work can be claimed, IF, your home has a home office and is your standard place of work and the drive isn't what would be considered normal "commuting miles". For years, I was a computer consultant, worked out of my home, lived north of Atlanta and worked...
  8. M

My Road trips in My 98 TDI

I have made many in our VW Bugs, but these 2 were the most precious to me with my late daughter Katie & my 98 NB TDI. These 2 trips totaled 13K miles in 30 days in 1999. They were by far the best times of my life. I lost my TDI and Katie on Christmas day, 1999 just a few months after these...
  9. M

09 90,000 mile dealer pushing timing belt????

For the 98-99 New Beetles it was 90K, but I hear it has been extended. I have replaced a few with 2 99 NB with 150K and 231K but never replaced it by VW dealer. I have always bought a kit from ECU Tuning online (currently $144 with free shipping) and had a local shop install the kit for me for...
  10. M

2013 anti-gas fuel inlet?

Never had an issue with refueling, but since you have to turn off the engine, the Bluetooth pairing of my phone disconnects and should have nothing to do with my fueling process.
  11. M

Where is the MIC

I assume it is on the inside somewhere :D Mine seems to work great, I have not had any complaints from people on the other end of a call. This is the first car I have had with the integrated phone, so I have nothing to compare it too.
  12. M

Back after 13+ years :D

I have been using a Power Service Cetane Boost, don't know if it is helping. I think once I run out, I will go without for a few tanks and see how it goes. I am getting over 500 miles a tank, which is much better than my 98 did when it was new.
  13. M

Issues with modern Beetles?

I have had my 13 DSG sedan with no stinkin' hole in the roof for about 2 months. I have 5K miles, really nothing to complain about. I also have 2 99 New Beetles. I find it larger and the trunk is huge compared to my 99s. Like others, I have a wife that won't learn to drive a real car, so I...
  14. M

Looking at Beetles. Some questions.

I doubt that the Beetle would be much different that your Jetta in the questions you are asking about. I have 2 1999 New Beetles and a 2013 Beetle TDI DSG, they generally have more headroom than a Jetta. I prefer the cloth seats in my older bugs to the Leatherette in the new one for long rides...
  15. M

Can the 2013 Beetle be Chipped?

I feel your pain. I would have much preferred a manual, the DSG just isn't the same. Maybe I am old school though, when I bought my Triumph Daytona, the shifter was reversed (1 Up 5 Down), it is suppose to be easier and the prior owner paid good money for the shifter, but I just couldn't get...
  16. M

A new Start

I have a new White Beetle too, about a month old and 3200 miles. I am a little further south than you near Disney. I did find a digital manual on eBay that covers all VWs. Shop Manual
  17. M

Beetle TDI Real World MPG

My bug is just about a month old, we took a trip up to North Georgia and then to Savannah before returning home, just over 1500 miles. We left with a full tank and were able to make the trip with only filling up twice on the trip but were on fumes when we got home, averaging just over 40 mpg...
  18. M

Topping off fuel?

I agree with those that say it all averages out in the end, but I prefer to go for the longer range on each tank, so I fill it up to the brim. If I could attach an external tank I would too:D
  19. M

Post your TDI sightings here!!

When I was filling up my first tank on 7/31/13 at Wal-Mart in Clermont, FL I looked across the tank and saw this little old lady pumping diesel into a Jetta Wagon TDI. She was struggling with the foam, but seem to have the dance down well :D We exchanged a few comments and went on our ways.
  20. M

Soon to be owner with a couple questions - Stereo & Black Interior

I had black cloth in my 98 VW New Beetle and loved it. Easy to keep clean and comfortable. My 99 NB has black leather and has had cloth seat covers on it ever since I started driving it. My new 2013 VW Beetle only came with Cream "Leatherette" and I really don't like it as it is sticky. I...