Search results

1. T

leatherette in the summer heat

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything - just giving my opinion. I love the TDI platform. I just wish I had bought the Golf (cloth seats) instead of the Jetta. I just got home and snapped this photo. It's 84 degrees outside. Here's my shirt after a 30 minute drive.... I don't get back...
  2. 85_degrees_30_minute_drive

85_degrees_30_minute_drive

3. T

If the air is hotter than the seats, then the seats will absorb heat. Heat flows from high energy to low energy. At 90 degrees surface temperature, the seat feels awful to me. My wife has cloth seats, and her car stays in the same garage. Her seats stay cool and comfortable. To each their...
  4. T

My windows have dark tint. The car is garaged at night, and I use a sun shade when it is parked outside. It doesn't help. The seats absorb heat from the air, not just heat from sunlight. During the summer, it's 90+ degrees in the garage over night. The seats are already hot even before I back...
  5. T

Black leatherette in mine. It's fine when temps are 75 and below. When temps reach 90 degrees or above, it feels like sitting on a hot plate inside an oven. The seats absorb and radiate heat. It's the only thing I truly hate about these cars.
  6. T

3rd HFPF failure!

^^ I agree. If the probability of a car having one pump failure was 2% (probably an overestimate), then the probability of the same car having three pump failures would be 0.0008% (1 in 125,000). Not impossible, but extremely unlikely. Find a better fuel source, and try some Optilube XL..
  7. T

Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

RUG $2.92, falling like a rock D2 $3.43, holding steady 15% difference.
  8. T

12 year old fuel

500 ppm fuel that has been sitting for over a decade? Not in my TDI. Why not find a buyer for it? I'm sure there are plenty of doomsday preppers out there that would love to get their hands on it for their diesel generators.
  9. T

Almost made the big rookie mistake... incorrect fuel

Someone didn't read the entire thread.
  10. T

Poor Fuel Economy

I assume the extended warranty would be accepted at any VW dealer, so the first thing I would do is take it somewhere else. I bet they didn't do the DSG service either.
  11. T

The dealers use this site too!

I don't buy bottled water because it isn't regulated by the Safe Drinking Water Act...
  12. T

Almost made the big rookie mistake... incorrect fuel

According to Federal Weights and Measures, a national color-coding standard has been proposed many times in the past, but has always been met with pushback from the oil companies. No one has forced their hand, as of yet. It seems like it would be easy and inexpensive to implement. Most pump...
  13. T

What tools/spares do you carry in your car?

Currently I don't carry any tools, but that needs to change - at least enough to change a battery, air filter, etc. First-aid kit, flares, jumper cables, portable air compressor, tire gauge, hiking boots, fire starter, bottled water, shovel, flashlight, knife, 9mm.
  14. T

AC Compressor OEM Sanden

http://www.polarbearinc.com/Webstore/index.cfm?category=78 PAG46 (RO 0900B) is correct.
  15. T

bad experience at Burlington VW in NJ

One thing I learned when I briefly worked in sales is that some people have impossibly high expectations, and are impossible to please. The hit and run style post by the OP, without even bothering to explain what happened, kinda speaks for itself.
  16. T

Keep my TDI?

You may as well keep it, unless you just want something different. VW has been covering HPFP failures in the U.S., so there really is no reason to worry about it.
  17. T

2010 Jetta SW fuel mileage down and black soot on back end of car

At 80K miles, a 90 mL ash volume is probably high - should be closer to 65 to 80 mL, but every car is different. I think the compression test will be most revealing.
  18. T

Also, can you describe the turbo failure? Any idea how much oil was sent through the DPF? There should be no soot coming out the back.
  19. T

Since you have a VCDS, I would be curious to see what the DPF ash load is. If the previous owner(s) used the wrong oil, it could get ugly.