Search results

1. J

Start button issue - car wouldn't turn off, now won't turn on?

I have not... but it starts the car fine. It won't even allow the dash to light up now, pushing the button does nothing. But I'll try boosting it at the same time and see if that helps.
  2. J

Start button issue - car wouldn't turn off, now won't turn on?

Hi all, Searched and couldn't find anything similar. 2014 Jetta TDI, was driving, went to shut the car off, and button did nothing. Wouldn't turn the car off or stop the engine. Pulled the fuel pump fuse till it died, and disconnected the battery. Reconnected, wouldn't start, dash lights...
  3. J

Oil everywhere under the hood - but no idea where from?

Well, I feel like an idiot - I had the car rust checked for the first time right before my road trip, and he sprayed the product all over under neat the hood, so that's what I'm seeing! Glad I didn't check the oil when I was on my trip as I would have panicked and tried finding a shop to take a...
  4. J

Oil everywhere under the hood - but no idea where from?

I just got back from a 2,500 km road trip with my 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG. Went to check the oil today, and everywhere on the top of the engine, in behind the headlights on both sides, the firewall, etc is all coated in oil. I had no indication of this when I was driving, no smell, nothing...
  5. J

DSG DMF reassembly problem

No one has ran into this issue or has any pointers for me? Man I miss the old days of forums being alive. Facebook groups have all but killed the forums.
  6. J

DSG DMF reassembly problem

Hi all, 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG. Flywheel was rattling so ordered a LUK 126. Install new pilot bearing, new flywheel. Got the transmission lined up, used a few bolts to put it to the engine side by side, appears to be even. However I have about 1/4" left to go and the bolts and right tight...
  7. J

Increased Cranking Time When Starting

Yeah unfortunately Facebook all but killed the forums, and they have nowhere near the ability to hold and store the information like forums do. I'm not too upset about the deer (aside from killing the poor guy), the car had 337,000 on it and was showing its age, I replaced it with the same...
  8. J

Increased Cranking Time When Starting

Call it a solution, or call it a band aid - I had Malone change my tune to make the glow plugs come on for 5 seconds regardless of the ambient temperature, car always started fine afterwards. Didn't find the reason for the hard starting, but it made the car always start fine... until I hit a...
  9. J

Car starts good when cold outside, but not good when warm out?

More testing today - ~3 second glow plug light in my 5 degree garage - car starts quickly, stumbles for 15 seconds then runs fine. Garage at work at 22 C, less than 1 second glow plug, car won't start, finally does, stumbles and smokes. So the glow plugs are working how they should, well...
  10. J

Update: last night I took the lower intercooler pipe off, nothing but a few drops of oil. Cleaned the map sensor, it wasn't dirty at all - didn't help. So what sensor(s) does the ECU use in order to determine the length of time the glow plugs run? It is definitely related to ambient...
  11. J

Hard Starting Issues

Did you ever resolve your problem? I'm having similar issues. Changed the relief valve and new Cp3 pump, didn't help.
  12. J

I have a 2012 Sportwagen TDI that has been giving me intermittent starting issues since I bought it two years and 50,000 k ago. It's gotten progressively worse. Here's what I've narrowed it down to - when I start the car in my garage in the morning it's +5 celsius - car usually starts right...
  13. J

CP3 Conversion Head Count

I've completed a conversion to CP3 a couple weeks ago. So far so good.
  14. J

Whitbread Performance CP3 upgrade kit feedback

I just ran some numbers - Darkside is about $200 more than Whitbread, delivered. Is there anything missing in the Whitbread kits?
  15. J

The kit I'm looking at has a remanned pump. I'm in Canada, Darkside Developments is a long, long ways away.
  16. J

Hi all, I think I'm catching my HPFP failure a bit prematurely. I found 8 metal shavings inside the top of the HPFP, and found what looks like tiny shavings in the fuel filter. Car has been having some hard cold start issues so I was poking around. Lots of threads on this, but nothing...
  17. J

Repurposing CP3 pumps

Did you end up ordering from Whitbread? He's about half the price of German Diesel Works - not sure why?
  18. J

Pump or Rail Pressure while cranking?

I have VCDS - not sure where to even start to find the fuel pressure and what values they should read. As for the intercooler pipes, I've never had an issue with icing up. The car does lots of 5 hr trips, with plenty of hard acceleration, so I wouldn't think it would be an issue now...
  19. J

Pump or Rail Pressure while cranking?

Hate to revive an old thread, but as the original poster asked, how does one test the fuel pressure (and what should the values be) on a 2012 TDI? I've been searching for hours and cannot find the info. Trying to diagnose a hard cold start condition.
  20. J

Random long crank?

Yes, doesn't seem to help.