Search results

1. jbrone

JSW 2.5 v Golf TDI v JSW TDI anyone driven them all?

The Golf TDI is much stiffer-feeling than the regular Golf or JSW. I thought the JSW TDI and gasser felt the same as far as ride was concerned. I think the TDI wagon felt like more fun just because of the power delivery. The TDI does feel very slow from a dead stop, but so does the Golf 2.5...
  2. jbrone

Replacement wipers 2011 golf mkvi

My old one was 55,000 miles. I bought a new VW one after trying to get an off-brand replacement. The dealer beat the on-line guys because of shipping. I paid $12.37 with tax. I will save this one and just replace the blade like you suggest above. Thanks for the tip.
  3. jbrone

K&N air filter. Good idea?

These guys are right - no. For real-life experience, here we go: I bought a K&N for my 2.0L Golf (gasser) and even before I had a chance to re-oil it, it crapped up the MAF. The CRC MAF cleaner helped, but I thankfully found a used one and have been happy now for 189,000 miles on paper...
  4. jbrone

Do we have a list of 2010+ compatible wiper blades?

I highly recommend idprts.com if you cannot locate them locally. They are about the same price I pay at the dealer. The local auto parts stores around me have the aftermarket ones with the correct adapters, but only recently. Actually the RainX was a tad better than the Anco.
  5. jbrone

investigating a stinky diesel

The crankcase vent hose rots over time - I think it is a $20 or $25 part. Also check for leaks around the exhaust cooler and the rubber hoses attached to the intake.
  6. jbrone

Longest Interval on a 60k Belt?

Having my Timing belt replaced today under an "emergency". Yesterday the tensioner was making noise, and I had it checked. It is the newer style put on at the last TB change. I am 6,000 miles early for the 60,000 mile interval (just at 193,000 miles). The Continental belt is cracking...
  7. jbrone

How long do you figure on CV boots lasting?

Two Vws and a Ford: All over 165,000 miles on all boots. 2004 Passat: replaced both sides at 80,000 miles or so. I think they are exposed to the road debris more than the other cars.
  8. jbrone

Cargo Net

I thought there were anchors that are recessed and flip out at four points. See this: http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/shop/popup_image.php?pID=823&imgID=0 $56.00: http://www.1stvwparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=68_107&products_id=934
  9. jbrone

Loping idle with cooler weather

You might try to adjust the I.Q. with vag-com until you get a good compromise in idle and driveability. Do that before the hammer mod. Also, you may be due to clean the injectors. Try Diesel Purge.
  10. jbrone

A3 Jetta: Best interior upgrades

heated seat
  11. jbrone

Daniel Stern Lighting still exist?

Yes - the store is the place now - very quick shipping.
  12. jbrone

A/C fan only works on setting 2

This is exactly what happened in my 1994 Golf. The bank of three switches came as one part. The contacts were worn and getting hot. Replacing the switches comlpetely resolved the issue. If it is your resistor, I bought one in case the switches were not the issue. As for where, I think it...
  13. jbrone

Very odd no-start symptoms: Please Help!

Still borrow a known good battery. A TDI needs a full battery to start in hot weather. It may test "good" with 10 volts and 3/4 amperage, but a TDI needs 11 to 12 volts to start if it is very hot or cold out. Also, be sure it is the correct amperage. The cables are also very likely corroded...
  14. jbrone

harmonic balancer squeal?

Is it a Passat? There was something about an issue with Passats and balancing shafts.
  15. jbrone

Disabling DRL on MkIII

It should be about the same as the B4. Remove the trim piece to the left of the light switch. It pops off (carefully - use an old plastic putty knife or cloth-wrapped screwdriver). There is one screw to loosen the light switch itself - I think philips. Then the switch is removed. The yellow...
  16. jbrone

Daniel Stern Lighting still exist?

Does anyone know if Daniel Stern Lighting is still around? My contact phone, email, and web site info does not work.
  17. jbrone

VW Tops Quality Survey

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/...ap6600028.html NEW YORK -- Volkswagen took the most awards in an annual U.S. automobile quality survey by a California research company, but Ford's Focus also proved to be a favorite, rising to the top of the survey's small car category. Volkswagen (...
  18. jbrone

Key fob

I have one for free if it is the right one. I'll check later tonight.
  19. jbrone

Prius owners don't like VW TDI commercial

Prius is an appliance - and will always be. That's why it looks so much like a refrigerator. At least with the Prius the new A/C on from the key fob option will keep it cool like a fridge. This rant applies only to the Prius - the Honda is fine in my book. As for Toyota failures being kept...
  20. jbrone

what extras should we purchase?

You might consider a cargo net if you haul items much, and VW makes a decent pet screen. Does the 09 have an iPod adapter stock? Also, the in glove box CD changer is nice. Ask the dealer, but it used to be when you bought the add-ons with the car, they fell under the 3 year 36 month...