Search results

1. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

VW TDI update: At the CT dealership, the following work and results were noted: 1. Fuel filter gasket replaced. 2. Serpentine belt replaced. 3. Timing belt replaced. 4. Engine running poorly. The CT dealership confirmed my suspicion that the leaking filter gasket caused the belt to shred and...
  2. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Speedy "Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana ..." Nice. Might be worth a trip out there sometime. :)
  3. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Paperwork submitted to VW for turn-in. Nothing back for a couple weeks now. This past weekend, I went on a trip to NYC, smelled fumes and thought it was just city smog. Departing the city, they were just as bad. Overnighted in NJ (planned) and checked under the hood next AM: fuel filter can...
  4. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Price paid by VW for this condition? Assuming appropriate mileage for age, yes?
  5. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

By the way, car's been excellent, often returning mid-upper 40's mpg's in aforementioned usage patterns. If I get a light-traffic day, I've seen 50mpg, and that's at ~70mph highway (offset by some 35-40mph light rural driving). Very smooth 6MT, great suspension, and clean as a whistle...
  6. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Update: TDI now has 89k on it, and just went in for 5k service. Usage pattern's been 85% highway, occasional highway congestion followed by open runs of 75-80mph, then rural cooldown - 15%. Check engine light came on a few days before it went in for service. Was ignorant, thought it was just...
  7. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

I actually had the switch blank decals drawn up a couple years ago. Found a transfer decal shop and developed a long list of short text options sized to fit the blanks, in the proper VW font. However, the wife never got 'round to deciding which ones she wanted to install. A month or so ago, I...
  8. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Been a While... Here's an Update. So, another long-interval update. Still own the vehicle, and was reassigned stateside July, 2014. I miss German roads and predictable, disciplined drivers. The Golf is rolling up on 48k miles, runs like a champ but has some minor issues. I have another...
  9. DSLPWR

Not GTG, but Regional Service Recommendations

All, I'm recently arrived to the Kansas City area, and I'll need service soon. Seeking recommendations on reputable and competent VW service. Dealers listed on the corporate website are: Northtowne, Molle, Bud Brown, or Crown (out in Lawrence). What say ye, good TDI people? DSLPWR
  10. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Been distracted with deployments to Afghanistan and living in Germany, etc. Will try to provide material with more frequency in the future. -DSLPWR
  11. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

A follow-up on this VW Golf TDI, 18 months later... Shortly after the last post with 5k miles, we moved to Germany and have been here since. The car is performing well on its home turf and is receiving proper care with knowledgable and proficient mechanics. The primary duty cycle for the Golf...
  12. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Over 10k miles, now in Germany. Back stateside, you really don't have an opportunity to fully appreciate this car. I can cruise 100-120mph and still earn just over 30mpg. Averaging 70-80mph yields upper 30's. And at these speeds, the aerodynamics get the car tight on the asphalt, so the...
  13. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

10k service was not performed at the local dealership responsible for recall work. 10k service was performed at the selling dealership over the weekend. The return trip performance was as follows: 197 miles, 3hrs travel time (exact), average speed 66mph, fuel economy was 48.2mpg. Car ran well...
  14. DSLPWR

First Days, New Golf...

Following up on the New Golf... The car is now approaching 9,000 miles. Last week, I brought the car in for the 23J9/V5 injection line recall and ONLY the recall work, as I wanted to wait until 10,000 miles for the initial service, per resources listed below (see links). Once the recall...
  15. DSLPWR

Switch Blanks - Text Ideas Help Request

Stencils are in. I have four copies on hand right now, sized to fit the MK VI switch blanks located ahead of the shifter in the center console. Each entry is sized to fit inside a 1" x 1" - the size of the switch blanks and is font-matched to the vehicle, white text only, no graphics. If...
  16. DSLPWR

TDI Caddy, Listing

First up - no personal interest or association with seller. Just posting for information's sake. Second: '97 Passat TDI w/5-speed manual transplanted into a 172k (indicated) 1981 Caddy. No mention of the conversion process, which makes me wary. Lots of pictures of the non-stock sporty...
  17. DSLPWR

Switch Blanks - Text Ideas Help Request

Google "M157 Smoke Generator." Good stuff, that. Add one trunk monkey and go forth and foment mayhem.