Search results

1. S

bad radio reception

Antenna amplifier circuit board in the antenna base is most likely shot (corroded). Usually the easiest to get a new base. This happened on my Bug, didn't want to pay ~$300 for the satelite radio version so know I just have an AM/FM base.
  2. S

Correct Oil

The Valvoline oil is the Synpower line and the bottles are marked European Formula and also list the VW505.01 approval on the back label, it is also a 5W-40 weight unlike the delaers 5W-30 castrol. This is what I have been using for a couple of years now, ever since my dealer changed to the...
  3. S

Radio fault code, HU or antenna base

My AM no longer works on my car. I have taken the antenna base apart and there was corosion on the circuit boards inside the base. I cleaned the boards with contact cleaner and re-assembled everything but the AM still does not work, FM and satelite radio still work fine. I scanned the radio...
  4. S

Will OEM center console CD changer play...

If I purchase a new OEM center console CD changer and install it into an '05 system that has the Monsoon HU that will play MP3 discs will I be able to play MP3 discs with the CD changer also, or can only Audio CD's (CDA format, not MP3) be used in the changer? Also, the wiring for the changer...
  5. S

Engine Oil

I have been using the Valvoline Syn Power 5W40 MST oil. It is carried by the NAPA store in my area, by the quart or by the case (6 quarts). It has the VW 505.01 approval. You need to make sure you get the "MST" or "European" marked containers, check the back of the bottle to be sure. Valvoline...
  6. Valvoline Syn Power

Valvoline Syn Power

Valvoline Syn Power
  7. S

gauge cluster dont work when first started

What happens if you turn the key forward (power up the cluster but don't start the engine) for longer than 30 seconds and then start the engine, do the guages then work right away? If they do work right away it could be a bit of a PITA to diagnose it with VCDS. You would need to turn the key...
  8. S

gauge cluster dont work when first started

Don't get the feeling you are being ignored; this sounds like a very weird problem given the guages begin work after 30 seconds and the needle bounces after the car is shut off. How far does the needle sweep or bound on the speedo - is it just a couple of MPH or does it do a full sweep? If...
  9. S

have you seen this

How's your battery?? How is the battery in your car??? The cluster in my Beetle will start doing wierd things when I have trouble starting it on extremely cold days. The voltage drops so low the during some of the first few compression strokes the cluster resets itself (looses trip odo...
  10. S

Boost hose going to EGR/intake manifold...

May need a GOOD temporary fix - the dealer in my area doesn't stock the hose so they had to order it yesterday (Thursday), SHOULD be here Monday.
  11. S

2004 PD Hissing Sound on Acceleration

Thanks. I started my own thread about this incase it didn't get any attention in this thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308844
  12. S

This looks like a good solution :D. One thing I am concerned about is the amount of space between the plates and the rubber hose. Is there enough space so the plates will not/can not cut through the rubber hose over time? Found the thread started by whitedog when he started making these...
  13. Whitedog locking collar

Whitedog locking collar

Whitedog locking collar
  14. S

I don't think this will help anything. The metal the clip is made out of (spring-steel I'm assuming) is a lot harder than the material the hose connector is made out of. You can see in the picture where the tab/boss used to be - the little circle on top of the hose connector. Add to it the...
  15. S

air conditioning - cold then warm, turn off, cold then warm

Did you replace the belt or did you have a shop do it? Maybe one of the A/C lines is damaged / kinked / crimped. Not sure about the belt routing, but if it was possible to wrap the belt around the compressor pulley the wrong way I would imagine you would see evidence of this (groves or tracks)...
  16. S

air conditioning - cold then warm, turn off, cold then warm

Does VW monitor for a higher than normal pressure in the A/C system?? The pressure on the low side will increase as the pump runs and maybe the pressure gets too high so the electronics shut down the pump. When you turn the A/C off and back on you may be resetting the the system. The pressure on...
  17. S

Does someone make a collar/clamp to beef of the connection of the rubber boost hose going into the EGR/Intake manfold assembly? What about a different hose manufacturer that makes a more rubust connection, i.e. solid tabs instead of stamped? The top tab on mine is worn/sheered completely off...
  18. S

2004 PD Hissing Sound on Acceleration

Does someone manufacture (or be willing to start manufacturing) a collar to beef up the connection here? The tab on the top of my hose wore completely through. This is a retarded design in my opinion, stamping a boss into a thin collar. Luckily the bottom tab is still intact and the hose didn't...
  19. Failed Boost Pipe

Failed Boost Pipe

Failed Boost Pipe
  20. S

Weird No Start Condition

Don't worry about the oil warning light, it will come on during engine cranking. Mine does this all of the time if I have to crank on it more than 10 seconds. The car should still start/fire even with the warning light on. The light will still come on during starter over run but should go...