Search results

1. Tom W.

2 2005 Passat TDI's For Sale

First one: 271K Sedan dark blue, w leather interior. interior and body are excellent- no damage, paint is a little dull, zero rust- southern car. Engine was replaced in 2007 @approx 127k w European version w gear driven balance shaft- so zero problems. car is 100% stock. Transmission is...
  2. Tom W.

Crazy project: Hybrid retrofit

I've often thought abt a much simpler hybrid- just wap out the electric starter for a hydraulic starter, put an accumulator and a 3 gallon tank in the trunk, wire the actuator and 2 way valve to a toggle switch mounted to the shift knob! Light weight(less than 30 lbs), simple, bulletproof...
  3. Tom W.

Passat trannies.

mine backs up just fine at idle, but give it any gas, and it's like the transmission has gone into neutral. - engine revs, but you stop moving.
  4. Tom W.

Passat trannies.

Thanks, Oilhammer! Got a quote from a reputable transmission shop, $3200 for a complete rebuild w 3yr warranty, includes torque converter. Sound abt right? Guessing a manual swap would cost abt the same?
  5. Tom W.

Passat trannies.

So, my 2005 passat tdi now has trouble in reverse. it will back up but only in idle. Wondering if I should have the auto tranny rebuilt, or go with a swap? Or, is there is solution to just fixing the reverse issue?
  6. Tom W.

Chemical cleaning for turbo vs removal?

So, how long does the Easy off last? Depends . I found that, once the USA switched to non-sulfur diesel, AND I fixed the over fueling issue, AND I got into the habit of blasting up long hills to clean out the crud from city driving, I haven't had to use the chemical cleaning any more. Still...
  7. Tom W.

NO A/C on Fan speed 2-4 works Fan speed 1

clip in back found a video, often times the problem is a clip comes off on the back of the control, so the control nob really doesn't do anything- solution is to pull the panel, glue the clip back on...
  8. Tom W.

resister top speed pretty sure the top speed is without any resistors. That is why I am thinking that the problem for me is not in the resistor pack but in the control switch
  9. Tom W.

So, the fan only blows on 1- the knob turns to the other settings, but whether heat or A/C only the lowest speed works. Could this be the resister pack as well? or is something wonky with the control/ knob?
  10. Tom W.

B5 Passat TDI manual transmission swap

Looking at a v6 manual swap- anyone ever do a gear change on the v6 to bring the gearing in line with the TDI engine?
  11. Tom W.

V6 5 speed for b5.5 TDI - comments opinions please

My 2005 passat sedan - auto transmission is starting to go(won't back up unless it stays at idle rpm)- thinking of swapping a v6 5 speed. Is there a gear kit that I can install in the manual transmission to bring the rpm down to a more ideal range?
  12. Tom W.

shuts off after 3 minutes

No, still haven't figured it out. A diesel needs 3 things: air, compression, and fuel - all at the correct time. I have ruled out air, - nothing is restricting the air- I took off everything from the intake manifold, including the shudder valve. I have ruled out compression- did a...
  13. Tom W.

"Return to Me"-86 Jetta transplant/restoration

Got in the "new" GTI springs! they are working GREAT with the Bilstein shocks! I probably need to add a pic! Hay, I have been looking for some time for one of those top, adjustable alternator brackets. Anybody have one they want to sell?
  14. Tom W.

"Return to Me"-86 Jetta transplant/restoration

So, I swapped in a blemish -free dash, and of course, the thing cracks on me after 2 months! I would pull out the dash and fix it, except I don't know how! -
  15. Tom W.

Chemical cleaning for turbo vs removal?

Howdie- been a long time since my last visit! Thanks for the kind words, SmoothVW! Bottom line, is that Easy off will not hurt the aluminum of your turbo housing (and inside the exhaust side of your turbo there is no aluminum other than the housing) I took a spare turbo and some other...
  16. Tom W.

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Hmm, so VW modified the computer so that the car gets BETTER MPG, and BETTER performance? Aww, so sad! Shame on you, VW for making your car much MORE ECONOMICAL AND FUN TO DRIVE! - WHILE STILL PASSING EMISSIONS TESTING! By the way, we don't even emissions test diesels in North Carolina...
  17. Tom W.

possible 03 jetta wagon for sale in N Carolina

Scotts email address is mcgaheyss@gmail.com. the photos are here on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fudbv69ptkm38xs/AAB9H5s1NqQp1GnlaFxkJRSva?dl=0
  18. Tom W.

possible 03 jetta wagon for sale in N Carolina

Photos You can leave a message on Scott's work phone 919-481-4444 and he will call you back- he can also email you photos. _ tried posting the photos and made a mess of it. Bosio DLC Power Plus 520 nozzles 2.5" S.S. exhaust exhaust w/Aero muffler 2.5" S.S. "J" downpipe (offroad) Kerma...