Search results

1. S

Temp gauge not rising and cold/warm heat on road trip

Just replaced the 3 way radiator hose under the fuel pump. Got her all tuned up and fresh g12. We've been driving now for 3 hours and the gauge has been stuck at cold and the heat coming out is Luke warm at best. Been looking up a few things. Just a couple questions, would the coolant temp...
  2. S

Door check rod proper function?

Switching everything over to a new door pulled from the junk yard and have 2 different check rods that are functioning differently. What type of movement should I see? This one only moves between the two notches and the other moves freely. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. S

Electrical wiring

Found this by the fuse box. Had a 8awg red and red/black wire hooked to a connector and then clipped in to this jumper. The red/black lead was broken out. And the jumper part is labeled 19. Anyone know what this controls? Or a wiring diagram I could check out?? Sent from my iPhone using...
  4. S

Wiper arm question

Wondering what needs to be replaced. I tightened the bolt on the wiper arm and it still won't go. Took the nut off and the stud sticking out was moving when the other blade was going. Also is there a trick to get the arm off? https://vimeo.com/141349309
  5. S

Where's this oil coming from??

6. S

Bought two new tires today....

So I had a blow out this morning on my way to work. Then when I put my spare on and drove down to the gas station to fill up with air, my spare blew out.... Spare has to have been in the trunk since 98. Once I inspected it the side walls were pretty much mushy. I decided to replace my two...
  7. S

Another MK3 power loss thread

1998 jetta My issue.: While driving approx 70mph, almost as soon as I start up a hill I can feel the power cut out and mph starts to drop with the pedal to the floor.. I down shift and the speed continues to drop to about 50 mph. I've replaced every single vacuum hose. Little ecu hose too...
  8. S

Boost pressure gauge, psi range?

I just installed a boost gauge and was wondering what the operating pressure should be. At idle,? under load? What range will it fluctuate between? I hooked mine up and it's just barely moving up under load (2nd gear 35 mph) to 1psi. I have the gauge wired to my stereo connector. The tube...
  9. S

Transmission removal help possible clutch issue

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could take some pictures of the transmission removal section. I lent my Bentley out and haven't seen it since. I've done 3 transmission swaps in the past all mk3 so I have a good idea what I'm doing but I really want the manual for reference. Let me...
  10. S

Starter issues need advice

Ok so I have a 98 jetta. Back story driving fine the other day started up every time just fine. I drove 15 mins parked for 15 minutes and it wouldn't start. I turned the key like normal waited for the glow light to go out and turned the key and absolutely nothing happened. No clicks at the...
  11. S

98 jetta

This is my tdi, she has 192k miles and I've had her for the last 7k miles. I have service records all the way back to w01 and I am the 3rd owner. I got the old poopy deluxe timing belt kit from boraparts.com done right when I got her and she's been running great for me. I still need to...
  12. S

T-stat upgrade question

I'm looking to get a stage 2 chip and upgrade my fuel injector nozzles. Would I need to get a higher temp tstat?
  13. S

What would you do?

Just sold one of my vehicles and have part of the money to put into my tdi. 98 jetta. Fully stock and just had the timing belt deluxe kit installed by old poopie. Where would you start with a small budget like mine?
  14. S

What would you do with $500?

Just sold one of my vehicles and have part of the money to put into my tdi. 98 jetta. Fully stock and just had the timing belt deluxe kit installed by old poopie. Where would you start with a small budget like mine?
  15. S

Dash light flickering and a ticking sound

So we recently got a cold spell in Oregon lows in the mid teens. During this cold weather I've had a small issue arise. When I first start it up it's taking a lot longer to turn over and catch. Once it's started I push on the gas pedal for a split second the dash lights flicker and then there...
  16. S

Mk3 Tdi engine & bay cleaning

Hey everyone had to clean her up so thought I'd share what I used and some pictures. Here's a before picture: I took her to the local self service car wash that use the pressure washers. I used purple power degreaser in a spray bottle you can pick up at walmart for 2.97. Just spray it on...
  17. S

Is this the sticker in the trunk for radio code?

Which one is the 4 digit code to get the radio out of safe mode? Or is this the wrong sticker?
  18. S

Coolant leak help needed

My temp light started blinking 4-5 days ago. I topped it off with fluid and the light went off. Came back on last night filled it up went off. Checked it just now when I got off work and the light was on again. Turned it on got under the car and noticed coolant leaking down from around the...
  19. S

Oil Change for Mk3 Jetta Tdi??

Hey everyone, I just bought this car the other day and I want to change the oil. Was told he ran non synthetic oil in it since 2002, would I be ok switching to synthetic oil? I know on gas cars there is debate on switching from regular oil to synthetic. If so what would the best oil be if I...
  20. S

Portland area gurus?

I'm looking to get a few thugs done in the near future and wanted to check around my area for a qualified mechanic before I take it to a shop. I have a 98 jetta tdi Need done Timing belt Upgraded injector nozzles Thanks Justin