Search results

1. C

Auto tranny oil change

I have a 2001 tdi jetta automatic that I just replace the tranny oil and filter and also added some anti-shudder stuff. Unfortunately I did not measure how much I removed and so I need to make sure the correct amount is in there. I added 4 brand new liters. I drove it around and then put it in...
  2. C

need access to vagcom in dc area

I need to set my timing after replacing the pump seals. Anyone in the DC area(I am in Rockville) willing to help me out with a vagcom??
  3. C

injection pump head seal

I have replaced it twice without success. First time i squished it somehow even though i thought i was very careful. Second time i was even more careful. Thought i had it when i got the car running again but then I saw the drip drip right under the 13mm bracket bolt. I guess i will order...
  4. C

Replace the condenser or not?

So I am replacing a bad a/c compressor and also the drier, expansion valve, and o-rings on my 2000 Jetta TDI. The kit from discount ac should be here any day. A guy at a local garage said if there are metal shards in the system I will not be able to flush the condenser fully and will have...
  5. C

A/C question

So I am replacing a bad a/c compressor and also the drier, expansion valve, and o-rings on my 2000 Jetta TDI. The kit from discount ac should be here any day. A guy at a local garage said if there are metal shards in the system I will not be able to flush the condensor fully and will have to...
  6. C

no first or reverse 2000jetta tdi

When I move the stick into first or reverse the transmision seems to be in third instead. Can anyone point to info on how to fix this? I am thinking it something wrong with the shifter?
  7. C

leaky injector = engine damage?!?

So here is the situation: I have a 99.5 TDI jetta w/ 190,000 miles. In the past year I replaced the timing belt(100,000mile version) and all the associated bearings and water pump. It also has a new starter and fully charged battery. My girlfriend took the car on a trip and in the last 40...
  8. C

alternator pulley where to buy?

TDIparts is out of them right now. Anyone know where I can pick one up for a reasonable price?? thanks
  9. C

serpentine belt broke!

I have a 2000 tdi jetta and the serpentine belt broke. The idler pulley just below the alternator pulley appears to be made out of plastic and although the bearing seems fine the outer plastic portion that the belt was restings on is totally destroyed. I am hoping this is the cause of the belt...
  10. C

timing belt install problem

I can't seem to get the camshaft pulley back on the tapered spindle with the new belt. I following the directions in the timing belt pdf and it seems like it just won't quite make it. Belt is seated properly in the teeth of all the pulleys and routed correctly. Anyone got a trick to make this...
  11. C

bad water pump I think?

So coolant is pouring out at the bottom left side of the engine. I can't see very well exactly where. I drove it home in this condition and when I popped the hood the engine it was making a noise similar to bad water pumps I've heard on other vehicles. It seemed to operate fine on the short...
  12. C

76 Westfalia Conversion?

Anyone done an older one like this? Is it a good idea? Do you know any good resources for this conversion? Thanks for any advice. --joel
  13. C

scary brakes

A strange thing happens when i slam the brakes on in snowy conditions. The pedal feels very stiff, braking power seems reduced, and it feels like something is pushing back against the pedal(the pedal goes in and out). It also makes a kind of grinding noise. I checked my pads and they have...
  14. C

headlight problem

I recently noticed that the headlights on my 99.5 tdi are always on when the key is in the on position. All the headlight switch seems to control are the dash lights at this point. I don't think it was like that when i bought the car. The other weird thing is that they turn off if I put the...
  15. C

belly pan interchangable w/ gas model?

I just got a 99.5 tdi and it does not have any belly pan(skid plate). I am searching junkyards for a used one and i'm wondering if the gas model jetta has the same part?? Anyone know the answer? ps : My oil pan is scraped up pretty bad. Its kinda scary...:cool:
  16. C

thermostat location

I'm about to replace my thermostat with a 195 cause its cold here in MN. Can anyone tell me exactly where its located on my A4? I don't have a manual, didn't see this anywhere else on thefrum(maybe i missed it) and i'm new to this engine. Thanks in advance
  17. C

stuck parking brake??

I noticed burning clutch smell when parking the other day. I thought maybe the clutch was starting to go. But now i think the brake may be stuck because it is noticably harder to start the car in motion from a complete stop, although it seems to coast pretty good. I haven't smelled the burning...
  18. C

Implications of improper Coolant?

I recently filled my coolant system with the regular green stuff and then read that its not the right stuff. What problems will I have as a result?