Search results

1. J

Just a quick thank you

Wanted to reach out to the community to say thanks for all the help in getting my Jetta to reliable daily driver status. The latest maintenance was a new thermostat three weeks ago. I changed it because the old one was allowing max temps under 80C, so I changed it right at the end of a tank to...
  2. J

Will 2003 seats swap directly into my 2000 Jetta?

I know the mounts will be fine. I'm thinking about the airbag connections. Also, new seats are heated, my car is not equipped, so I'd like to build the harness at some point. More concerned about the bags for now. Thanks!
  3. J

What to pay for decent used seats?

What's the going rate for good used seats? The cloth seats in my Jetta are worn, and have stains that won't come out. The car would be much nicer with a fresher set of seats. Since my car is non-AC, cloth would be ideal. I know that ten year old seats that are decent are hard to come by.
  4. J

New OEM 87C stat, running too cool?

After finishing out the winter and spring with my stat keeping temps in the 60C-70C range, I took half an hour on the weekend and swapped in a new OEM/dealer 87C stat and new stat housing. Refilled with correct coolant. Temps are higher, but I'm concerned that they are not high enough. Steady...
  5. J

ARGHH... what's rattling in the back?

Just completed some service on my wife's 01 NB Sport. Among other work, I did rear shocks and upper mounts. Shocks because tires were severely cupped, mounts because there was a strange rattle when driving. The rattle is still there. Back left. Not metallic. Random, does not change...
  6. J

What seats swap in?

My Jetta is to the point where it has become a reliable, quiet, fuel-efficient daily driver. Not bad for a car that I got for free that had numerous problems and wouldn't move under its own power. The only thing that bothers me is the disgusting stained/worn cloth seats. I did an upholstery...
  7. J

Rear shocks for 01 NB Sport?

Need to do rear shocks as part of some maintenance on my wife's 2001 Beetle 1.8T Sport. Looking for suggestions. Good handling, longevity, and comfort over rough rural post-winter paved roads are qualities that would be ideal. I use Bilsteins on some of my other cars, but am thinking KYB for...
  8. J

New rear bushing day!

The revival of my Jetta continues. Today's job was to replace the completely shot OE rear trailing arm bushings. I had a horrific clunk when going over any sort of bump. Picked up the updated 6R0 bushings from my local dealer for a good price. Work went well. Torched the heads off the old...
  9. J

Hardware for under engine splash shield?

My aftermarket splash shield has arrived. I'll post a review once I mount it, but it looks decent. I don't have any mounting hardware, however, my car has been without a shield for long before I owned it. Does anyone have a list of what is needed for mounting? Sizes/quantity? Don't care...
  10. J

Anyone try the ebay TDI under splash shield?

Seems like the right part, and the price is good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine-Splash-Shield-VW-Volkswagen-Golf-Jetta-2005-VW1228107-1J0825236F-/231047024592?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AJetta|Submodel%3ATDI&hash=item35cb79cfd0&vxp=mtr Thoughts?
  11. J

Template for DIY splash shield?

My car is missing the under engine splash shield, and I'd like to replace it. Not looking to go skid plate. Seems like the Dorman part is too short for the TDI cars. I have access to a full shop with a metal brake. Thinking about just making one out of aluminum. Does anyone have a template...
  12. J

Turned on the ABS and the flashing (!) lights

2000 Jetta, automatic. I live rural, so my mailbox is out at the street. Today there was a good pile of snow from the plow. So, my front left wheel was deep in snow, while my right wheels were on bare pavement. I had to reposition the car a couple of times so my mirror wouldn't hit the...
  13. J

Swap the CD/tape locations?

I'm tall. 6'7". I fit fine in my Jetta, but there isn't a lot of extra room. My right knee makes it tough to get to the radio/volume controls. Is it possible to put the radio on top, and the CD under the radio?
  14. J

coolant temperature sensor issue

Even though I have been parking in my heated garage (about 4C), my Jetta has been slow to start in the morning after sitting overnight. Ten seconds of cranking, then it will catch on the second cycle of the key. It's been making a cloud of white smoke. Glow plug light only goes on for about...
  15. J

Why don't my wipers park correctly?

Since I got my Jetta, the wiper arms have been driving me crazy. I think they should be lower on the cowl when off. No big deal, easy to fix. So, today I took my wiper arm tool out to the garage, removed the nuts, and repositioned the arms to be parked down on the cowl. Wrong. When I...
  16. J

Starting issue, not what you think...

Backstory.... my Jetta has been sitting in the driveway for two weeks without being started due to a leaking oil return line. We've got a storm coming to Ottawa, so I wanted to get it in the garage for the weekend. It's cold here, it was -16C/-26C windchill. I thought I would have trouble...
  17. J

Turbo oil return line how-to?

I've searched, but haven't found a definitive thread. Do we have a good how-to on replacing the turbo oil return line? I found that my return line is leaking right through the braid. It looks like it got a dent in it when I removed the downpipe to do the chemical clean on the turbo. I would...
  18. J

Where's my glow plug dash light?

This is a super noob question. Where is the glow plug dash light on my 2000 Jetta? When I got the car, it was showing a glow plug code, and I found that one plug was way out of resistance value. Replaced it with new, DeOxit treated the harness, cleared the code. All has been fine, no code...
  19. J

01 New Beetle, growling noise, one worn tire

Wife's car has been developing a growling noise. I have been thinking it's a wheel bearing, but I may be changing my mind. Did winter tires today, and when I was putting the summers on the rack, I noticed one tire was significantly worn. More on the inside, but definitely more worn all...
  20. J

Big day, first drive!

Many steps forward, one (or two) back. Drove my Jetta for the first time today after completing the work needed to put it back on the road. For those interested, that list includes VNT actuator, chemical turbo clean, a glow plug, plug harness de-ox, pads, rotors, a caliper, a brake line (and a...