Search results

1. O

Ignition Switch Dying, can I add an Engine Start button?

Hey guys, Like a lot of people in this forum lately, my ignition switch seems to be on the way out. Everything works fine, except for the actual starting of the car. I did the WD40 trick, which seemed to help, and I can start the car reliably right now if I push up (towards the roof) when I...
  2. O

Looking for Bosch tool for Hammer mod near Boston

That does sound good. I'll give it a shot if there's no one nearby.
  3. O

Looking for Bosch tool for Hammer mod near Boston

Hey Guys, I'm looking to do the hammer mod to my 98 Jetta near Boston, and I'd rather not buy the special Bosch tool, 0-986-612-605, if someone around is willing to let me use theirs. Let me know. Thanks OSP
  4. O

How can I by-pass the temperature sensors in the catalytic converter

I got my exhaust rebuilt at a TDI friendly shop. The mechanic asked if I had any check engine lights, which I didn't. He then correctly guessed that I have a Rocket Chip, because I was missing both temperature sensors. He told me that that will throw a code normally, but RC gets rid of it...
  5. O

Another Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Thread...

The line running between the master and slave cylinder may have gone bad. If it's clogged up it could explain why you had so much trouble bleeding the system. The rubber can also wear out so that it stretches and expands when pressurized.
  6. O

98 Jetta blows Glow Plug fuse

Thanks for the diagram. If I'm reading it right, the fuse sits between the relay and the glow plugs. I was thinking that it would come before the relay to protect against shorts in the relay. Is that your understanding, that the fuse is between the relay and the glow plugs? That would...
  7. O

Does high current flow through the relay at all? I ask for two reasons - 1. Maybe something shorted out inside. 2. Maybe I could remove it and try to measure resistance to the wiring harness through whatever connector is supposed to carry the power.
  8. O

I got a check engine light - P0380 - and hard starts in the cold like the glow plugs weren't working. I check the resistance on the plugs. They were all 0.8 or 0.9 ohms. Next I checked the 50 AMP fuse above the pedals. It was blown, so I started the car up and cleared the CEL, then shut it...
  9. O

Bad clutch slave or master cylinder?

I replaced my master and slave cylinders and the hard line connecting them a few months ago. I had no leaks, but my clutch wasn't disengaging the whole way. My understanding is that if don't have any leaks, you just have to bite the bullet and start replacing things and see if it helps. The...
  10. O

New England Hoedown at the farm 5/28/2011

Can anyone bring equipment for recharging air conditioners? I know this is pretty last minute.
  11. O

FS: part-out of 1998 Jetta TDI

Would you have the hydraulic line that runs between the master and slave cylinders for the clutch available for sale?
  12. O

HPFP Failures

Canadian fuel may be better quality, but I'd also expect Canadians in general to be more familiar with Diesel passenger vehicles, and therefore less likely to fill up with gasoline. So directly comparing US and Canadian failure numbers doesn't quite work.
  13. O

Massachusetts set to mandate biodiesel usage

And with that, I'm way less concerned about the lubricity of my fuel and a bit more concerned about it gelling in the winter. All in all a good move though.
  14. O

Anyone with a power bleeder near Boston

I did a lot of brake work on my 98 Jetta with my friend a few weeks ago. We finished by bleeding them, of course, and we also tried bleeding the clutch. We didn't really know what we were doing, there was a breakdown in communication, and I think I may have gotten some air in the system...
  15. O

98 jetta tdi pros/cons

I've got a 98 Jetta. Bought it in 05 with 100k miles. It's got 145k now. My biggest problem with it so far is rust, but I live in MA and I've been driving it through the salty slush every winter. I also get low 40's for mileage. The age is starting to show, but I've been pretty happy with...
  16. O

P1550 and limp mode

All right, thanks guys. I read the troubleshooting low power guide, but I wanted to make a thread because I have at least a OBDII code to go by, and I don't want to be running around trying everything listed in the guide when it's a simple problem. I'm not worried about damaging my vehicle in...
  17. O

P1550 and limp mode

Hey guys. 98 Jetta. 145k miles. I got limp mode and a check engine light the other night at about 85 MPH / 3000RPM on the highway. No limp mode when I started it back up. On the way home, got limp mode again engine braking down a steep hill at like 3500 RPM in 3rd gear. I really don't need...
  18. O

Engine RPM rev when starting then back normal

It's already been said, but when that happened on my car it was a failing fuel cutoff solenoid.
  19. O

Question about MA inspection.

I'm in Concord MA right now.
  20. O

Question about MA inspection.

The exhaust on my 98 Jetta is pretty rusted through at this point. When I get it fixed, I was thinking about getting a mufflerectomy. Does anyone know if MA inspectors care about the presence of a muffler?